Order of the Stick

Rapier

Rich has been on a tear lately. Advancing the plot quickly and simply putting stuff out rapidly. I guess he's over his illness (Been mentioned, already I think) I was kind of shocked at Nale's death and the last scene with Sabine speaks volumes. I think Tarquin may have finally underestimated someone.

Or he's being carried along as quickly by the momentum of his building climax as his readers are. I know that I am reading and breathing Order of the Stick right now. Rich Burlew's work is rapidly approaching the status of the (popular) post-postmodern novel in his brilliantly amusing examination of what it is to live narratologically.

That is, the fundamental insight of post-modernism is the self-conscious construction of fiction. Inasmuch as reality itself is ideologically constructed, fiction becomes impossible to distinguish from reality.

I understand post-post-modernism to take all of this on board and attempt to restore a liveable epistemology. I think. Anyway, that's a historian of science's take. For the fiction writer, it begins with characters who know that they're in a story, like practically every character in every post-modern novel ever, and then asks what happens when this is taken as realism. That is, don't we all understand ourselves to be in a story?

In the contrasting characters of Tarquin and Elan, we have two ways to take this. Elan constantly asks himself, "What do I need to do to be the hero of my arc?" Tarquin, on the other hand, interprets events from the invincible certainty that he is the primary antagonist. To take this in the direction of psychological realism, he gives us a post-post-modern understanding of what it is to be a narcissistic psychopath. This is a judgement that we come to slowly. At first he seems to be what we'd all like to see in more of in fantasy fiction: the guy who has read the "Evil Overlord" list. We might not need flaming letters 200' high to tell us that he's evil, but the evil seems as much for our benefit as it is psychologically real. Tarquin seems like a character that the OOTS can visit and overthrow in the sequel, worthy of the status that he already assumes he has.

Now, though, this mask is decisively swept away.Having marched onto the scene with an entire army and a low-epic caster in support in 910, in 911, he meets his sons and refuses the climax. In the most insulting way possible, he offers Elan the same deal that he's already offered in bad faith: logistical support against Xykon. To Nale, he claims that his grand plan to seize the gate was never meant seriously. Although even in 911 it ought to be clear that it has cost him the life of one of his oldest friends, and a "valuable asset" to boot, Tarquin's reaction is to gloat and openly admit that he will now claim that this was his plan all along.

In 912, he shows his pathology in the most blatant way possible. Even a Holocaust-mongering vampire lord seems more forgiveable than a father who announces that he was doing his son a favour by protecting him. (Only not, to be clear.) In 913, Tarquin's self-protecting delusion of narrative primacy shields him from confronting what he has done to Nale for the sin of departing from his script. (Something that I hope most readers have never had to experience from a parent. Not the stabbing part, mind you, the erasure from consciousness.)

Coming back to this idea that we are approaching the climax, and that everyone but Tarquin knows it, we cut to Sabine. Sabine has been our in-comic surrogate for a while now, a hapless spectator engaged in a way that Vaarsuvius, wrapped up in his/her private misery and disengaged from Nale's fate, cannot be. Her comments through several strips are an important mechanism foreshadowing the climax and letting us know that it is going to involve some very significant changes to Nale's status. Her reaction, as a canonical being of utter evil, is a striking statement on what the dysfunction that we call "evil" is, and is not. Sabine cares about another living being. Tarquin does, too. But there is a huge difference between the two kinds of "caring."

The failure in Tarquin's kind of caring is --well, I don't know. For me to know that, I'd have to know where Rich is taking this, and I don't. I am on the edge of my seat, though.

Or he's being carried along as quickly by the momentum of his building climax as his readers are. I know that I am reading and breathing Order of the Stick right now. Rich Burlew's work is rapidly approaching the status of the (popular) post-postmodern novel in his brilliantly amusing examination of what it is to live narratologically.

That is, the fundamental insight of post-modernism is the self-conscious construction of fiction. Inasmuch as reality itself is ideologically constructed, fiction becomes impossible to distinguish from reality.

I understand post-post-modernism to take all of this on board and attempt to restore a liveable epistemology. I think. Anyway, that's a historian of science's take. For the fiction writer, it begins with characters who know that they're in a story, like practically every character in every post-modern novel ever, and then asks what happens when this is taken as realism. That is, don't we all understand ourselves to be in a story?

In the contrasting characters of Tarquin and Elan, we have two ways to take this. Elan constantly asks himself, "What do I need to do to be the hero of my arc?" Tarquin, on the other hand, interprets events from the invincible certainty that he is the primary antagonist. To take this in the direction of psychological realism, he gives us a post-post-modern understanding of what it is to be a narcissistic psychopath. This is a judgement that we come to slowly. At first he seems to be what we'd all like to see in more of in fantasy fiction: the guy who has read the "Evil Overlord" list. We might not need flaming letters 200' high to tell us that he's evil, but the evil seems as much for our benefit as it is psychologically real. Tarquin seems like a character that the OOTS can visit and overthrow in the sequel, worthy of the status that he already assumes he has.

Now, though, this mask is decisively swept away.Having marched onto the scene with an entire army and a low-epic caster in support in 910, in 911, he meets his sons and refuses the climax. In the most insulting way possible, he offers Elan the same deal that he's already offered in bad faith: logistical support against Xykon. To Nale, he claims that his grand plan to seize the gate was never meant seriously. Although even in 911 it ought to be clear that it has cost him the life of one of his oldest friends, and a "valuable asset" to boot, Tarquin's reaction is to gloat and openly admit that he will now claim that this was his plan all along.

In 912, he shows his pathology in the most blatant way possible. Even a Holocaust-mongering vampire lord seems more forgiveable than a father who announces that he was doing his son a favour by protecting him. (Only not, to be clear.) In 913, Tarquin's self-protecting delusion of narrative primacy shields him from confronting what he has done to Nale for the sin of departing from his script. (Something that I hope most readers have never had to experience from a parent. Not the stabbing part, mind you, the erasure from consciousness.)

Coming back to this idea that we are approaching the climax, and that everyone but Tarquin knows it, we cut to Sabine. Sabine has been our in-comic surrogate for a while now, a hapless spectator engaged in a way that Vaarsuvius, wrapped up in his/her private misery and disengaged from Nale's fate, cannot be. Her comments through several strips are an important mechanism foreshadowing the climax and letting us know that it is going to involve some very significant changes to Nale's status. Her reaction, as a canonical being of utter evil, is a striking statement on what the dysfunction that we call "evil" is, and is not. Sabine cares about another living being. Tarquin does, too. But there is a huge difference between the two kinds of "caring."

The failure in Tarquin's kind of caring is --well, I don't know. For me to know that, I'd have to know where Rich is taking this, and I don't. I am on the edge of my seat, though.

You should sit back. You'd be more comfortable.

I think there's going to be a point where Tarquin's Genre Savviness will be his undoing. He expects Elan to be his demise and is indeed grooming towards that end. Instead, I think it's going to be a minor character that kills him off. Sabine is the obvious choice, but my money is on Haley's dad.

Her reaction, as a canonical being of utter evil, is a striking statement on what the dysfunction that we call "evil" is, and is not. Sabine cares about another living being. Tarquin does, too. But there is a huge difference between the two kinds of "caring."

I find this observation to be interesting. I've been interested in the philosophy of ethics for some time now, and this isn't the first time I've seen a comic (or other medium) explore the difference between people who are merely bad and and those who are Evil. I'm not yet ready to articulate what the difference IS, but it seems to be a real difference, at least with fictional characters. I, too, am eagerly looking forward to seeing where this goes.

I agree with Hermit: That shouldn't be such a setback for Sabine.

I half expected Sabine & Nale to already have a plan in place to make this work in his favor. Maybe getting him his devil form sooner then normal. If he truly is LE and not CE, then of course they have no plan now. But she is on good terms with someone who happens to be in that deparment of the afterlife.

It should also be noted that in a D&D setting not all Evil beings go to hell. Indeed those that followed a god properly get into that gods paradise. "We see each other in hell" does not works in a D&D setting as well as in most other fiction. Not only could he be revived before then, either or neither of you could actually go to hell and you could land in different paradises.

We already know there are Evil gods in this world (Hilda, the Linear Guilds old Cleric whorshipped one), so chances are Nale get's a scene similar to Roys. And a "offer he won't refuse" from one of the three Evils to get back into the game.

Not only that, but he's refused the climax again. Remember that he has just offered the OOTS his assistance, admitting aloud that it was a means of trying to manipulate Elan into tacitly accepting his authority. Yet the OOTS just forestalled Tarquin's attempt to seize the gate under the pretext of assisting them in saving the world.

Meanwhile, I can't help but recall the fate of the last ruler who tried to throw the resources of a powerful state behind the Order's quest to save the world.,,,

Now I'm all confused about Tarquin's intent. What does he actually want? Because at first he seemed to want the Order on the road as soon as possible, and even offered to get them a little magical transportation assistance. But then he intentionally set up this side quest with Hailey's Dad. They can't rush off to stop Xykon. They have to spend at least a day looking for the old man before the bounty hunters get him.

Now I'm all confused about Tarquin's intent. What does he actually want? Because at first he seemed to want the Order on the road as soon as possible' date=' and even offered to get them a little magical transportation assistance. But then he intentionally set up this side quest with Hailey's Dad. They can't rush off to stop Xykon. They have to spend at least a day looking for the old man before the bounty hunters get him.[/quote']

Unless Tarquin's motive is "Get moving to the last Gate now or I plaster the Wanted posters everywhere" (He did say the ink was still wet on them).

Now I'm all confused about Tarquin's intent. What does he actually want? Because at first he seemed to want the Order on the road as soon as possible' date=' and even offered to get them a little magical transportation assistance. But then he intentionally set up this side quest with Hailey's Dad. They can't rush off to stop Xykon. They have to spend at least a day looking for the old man before the bounty hunters get him.[/quote']

Tarquin has multiple goals. And even if one plan fails he propably still benefits from it somehow.

His goals inlcude:

Continued existence of him, his friends and his little sheme.

Elan being the one to take him down.

And having a better understanding of Haley - either as his next wife or as his boys girlfriend.