Order of the Stick

Rapier

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does it strike anyone else that this was Haley, the greedy thief, of all people, who just

Casually tossed a big bag of way-too-much gold at a merchant as if money literally had no value to her?

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary still thinks that Belkar, the homicidal Hobbit,

will actually do something unquestionably Good and epically heroic to save the lives of his companions and that this will be the death of him.

Does it strike anyone else that this was Haley, the greedy thief, of all people, who just

Casually tossed a big bag of way-too-much gold at a merchant as if money literally had no value to her?

Lucius Alexander

She mostly needed the money to save her dad. Wich is not longer an issue.

Plus back when she was part of the Azure City resistance, she had some expensive magic weaponry.

She mostly needed the money to save her dad. Wich is not longer an issue.

Plus back when she was part of the Azure City resistance, she had some expensive magic weaponry.

It goes beyond that. I seem to remember Belkar remarking "Seriously, she polishes each gold piece. It's kind of creepy."The need to raise a ransom was a factor, but it doesn't explain the extent of Haley's fascination with treasure.

Not that I'm saying it's out of character for her to toss that much gold away so casually. It can be read as either one more sign of how the character has changed, or an example of how priorities change in a severe life or death crisis. But either way, Haley practically giving away gold makes me smile with the incongruity.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary too

I love this one. Rich makes D&D economics fun :)

Did anyone else notice that "almost the end of the year" comment? Poor Belkar

I wonder how much of Belkar's growth here has been planned from the beginning. Rich has stated that he knew the arc of the story from very early on, such as that it would take 7 books, and he even knew the last panel way back when he decided to turn it from a gag-a-day comic to a plotted story. At the same time, he has been flexible and responsive to his fans, grown as a writer, and even made some changes. For example, he didn't know what the monster in the dark was when he first introduced it. Since he figured it out, nothing he stated before works against the identity but neither does it really help (I think he said #93 is when the MITD's identity jelled).

Rich made a comment after Belkar started faking character growth. People had wondered if it was real, and he replied, "fat chance of that." Now, I really do think that Belkar's growth is real. If he was faking it, he could simply remain silent about his suspicions of Durkon. Instead, he obsesses on it in front of everyone to the point of repeatedly risking his life. Obsessing on it would fit with faking (making people think he cares about the team) but not attacking and being thrown overboard.

While part of me wants Belkar to continue on and be different, I also want him to make the hero's sacrifice. Little would show more character growth. And while Rich has been known to go for laughs by anticlimaxes, he also knows when to halt the laughs and go for drama.

Rich has taken a murder hobo and made him a sympathetic character. I expect to shed a tear for Belkar when he dies just like I cried in Phantom of the Opera (my wife still doesn't understand that) when Erik told Christine to leave with Raoul. It takes talent to turn a character that way. Kinda like someone had me blinking back tears for Foxbat recently...