Order of the Stick

Rapier

41 minutes ago, L. Marcus said:

... That's ... a novel way to take care of the personal hygiene.

How many times can a D&D3/Pathfinder1 player-character memorize Create Water in a single day?

I'm also wondering what the product of food-creation spells actually tastes like. Is it pablum? Something nasty like Soylent? I imagine there's a reason why PCs go to inns and market food carts instead of simply casting Create Food twice a day to meet their needs.

6 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

How many times can a D&D3/Pathfinder1 player-character memorize Create Water in a single day?

In Pathfinder, 0 level spells (Orisons for Divine; Cantrips for Arcane) do not fade from memory when cast, so preparing Create Water as one of your 0-level slots means you can cast it every round, all day.

8 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

I'm also wondering what the product of food-creation spells actually tastes like. Is it pablum? Something nasty like Soylent? I imagine there's a reason why PCs go to inns and market food carts instead of simply casting Create Food twice a day to meet their needs.

3 hours ago, drunkonduty said:

The official description (DnD 3/PF)  of Create Food & Water describes the food as bland and flavourless. So there's still good reason to go to the tavern. And beer, obviously.

That sounds like a fate worse than numerous other fates that are, on the whole, pretty bad.

1 hour ago, Hugh Neilson said:

In Pathfinder, 0 level spells (Orisons for Divine; Cantrips for Arcane) do not fade from memory when cast, so preparing Create Water as one of your 0-level slots means you can cast it every round, all day.

And what are the consequences if there are people out there (possibly a lot of them) who can create water out of thin air? Forget showers -- what about literal rainmakers who go around irrigating farms for a price in the middle of a drought? Does the supply of water in the world remain limited? Will the water table eventually be overwhelmed by all the new moisture to the point that affects the overall climate, making the world wetter as a whole?

2 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

And what are the consequences if there are people out there (possibly a lot of them) who can create water out of thin air? Forget showers -- what about literal rainmakers who go around irrigating farms for a price in the middle of a drought? Does the supply of water in the world remain limited? Will the water table eventually be overwhelmed by all the new moisture to the point that affects the overall climate, making the world wetter as a whole?

Maybe Create Water only condenses water from the air in the immediate vicinity. Although, if that were the case there'd be a limit on it, which there isn't.

Maybe the spell conjures water from elsewhere in the world and distills it in the process.

As for saving drought stricken areas, yeah, it's the bomb. Better living through magic and all that.

3 hours ago, drunkonduty said:

Maybe Create Water only condenses water from the air in the immediate vicinity. Although, if that were the case there'd be a limit on it, which there isn't.

Maybe the spell conjures water from elsewhere in the world and distills it in the process.

As for saving drought stricken areas, yeah, it's the bomb. Better living through magic and all that.

I think all of this means that the GM needs to think through what it means to live in a world where there is magic.  In such a world is a drought purely meteorological or does it mean that there are magical forces at work that might take against those who counter their drought?  Are there competing divine forces at play?  Obviously the odd little creation of water to ameliorate the edge of the drought for people is overlooked but a concerted effort to counter the effects of the drought might find that certain divine magics are blocked or drought-beating clerics might find themselves subject to the personal attention of divine messengers who want this to stop.

So many stories can come from players thinking that they can exploit magical abilities without thinking through the metaphysical consequences.  I think I would refrain from countering magical abuse with scientific explanations...

🙂

Doc

14 hours ago, Doc Democracy said:

I think all of this means that the GM needs to think through what it means to live in a world where there is magic.  In such a world is a drought purely meteorological or does it mean that there are magical forces at work that might take against those who counter their drought?  Are there competing divine forces at play?  Obviously the odd little creation of water to ameliorate the edge of the drought for people is overlooked but a concerted effort to counter the effects of the drought might find that certain divine magics are blocked or drought-beating clerics might find themselves subject to the personal attention of divine messengers who want this to stop.

So many stories can come from players thinking that they can exploit magical abilities without thinking through the metaphysical consequences.  I think I would refrain from countering magical abuse with scientific explanations...

🙂

Doc

Very good point.

10 hours ago, Hugh Neilson said:

Create Water unlimited times makes for a new riff on old questions.  When a 5th level cleric can cure any disease at least once a day, how many are there, why don't we train more if there are not enough, and why do we still have illnesses?

An oft debated point on DnD forums. Almost inevitably segues into (or from) the Wall of Iron spell making iron mining/refining obsolete.

On 9/10/2019 at 1:20 AM, Doc Democracy said:

In such a world is a drought purely meteorological or does it mean that there are magical forces at work that might take against those who counter their drought?  Are there competing divine forces at play?  Obviously the odd little creation of water to ameliorate the edge of the drought for people is overlooked but a concerted effort to counter the effects of the drought might find that certain divine magics are blocked

It never came up in the homebrew fantasy world/game I have, but areas could be "aspected" or "flavored" magically such that certain categories of spells would be easier or harder to cast. A magic user trying to Create Water in a desert, or in the middle of a drought-stricken area, would have a harder time of it. Also I had an area which was once a breadbasket agricultural region but is now a wasteland thanks to past use of strategic level magic; no one is just going to walk in there and fix the problem by spamming noob spells.