If You Had To Play a Marvel Character…

GoldenAge

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: If You Had To Play a Marvel Character…

My list (as of the moment)....

Tony Stark (Ironman)

Reed Richards (Mr Fantastic)

Peter Parker (Spiderman)

Reasoning...

I've always liked Gadgeteers and Power Armored types (my first PC ever in

the HERO system was a power armored alien gladiator...), thus my first two

choices. And as for Spiderman, Peter Parker is no slouch in the INT

department either. Being the wise-cracking smartest guy in the room has a

certain appeal to me.:D

Of course, on some days I'd rather be Captain America but.....

-Carl-

I do not like playing other peoples charictors, so I would look through the Marvle Who's Who for some hero who is only mentioned or seen in one of those uber fights involving way to many heores. There would be almost nothing about this guy so i could make most of it up. Also, I could have him carry that issue around with him:

"Yes, I am a hero, see, I am on page 12, third pannel, the upper left corner. Yes that is me!"

Searously, I would go through the who is who and find someone I thought was cool that none of the players knew about so I would not have to deal with their pre conseptions.

Today's picks.

1. Moon Knight, Marc Spector. Why? I just liked the origional run of he's series. He was a differnt style to the whole Super-Detective. He started out as a merc, became a hero that had a team of helpers. Plus he has thet whole mystic side to the C.

2. Hank Pym, in any of he's Super Id's other than Ultimate. Why? Pym is a genius, he has some of the strangest of pasts though out the history of the Character. Pym is a leader without trying, but he doesn't have the skill of Captain America as a leader but can hold he's own.

3. Captain America, Steve Rogers. Why? He is the American of Americans, nobel, honest, honorable, a leader of men and gods. He is a man that is just beyond the abilities of normal men, but is still truely human. He is the best of the best, that holds to the American Ideal.

Interesting question. My favorite Marvel character has always been Hawkeye, but I wouldn't want to play him in a game (pure weapon masters aren't my thing).

First choice: US Agent (circa his WCA days). This guy started off as an A-1 jerk, but actually developed some character by the end. He made a lot of mistakes, but he always tried. And he had the cool martial brick thing going on.

If it was an all-guy gaming group and we needed somebody to play a female character, I'd go with The Wasp (as portrayed in her days as Avengers chair). There are few characters that have had as much development as Janet.

For a classic four-color game, it's hard to beat Captain America. Rogers has a very "scaleable" power set (it can be street level, or pretty darned impressive) and contacts, and he's just...the classic hero guy. He's the "go-to good guy," in a lot of ways -- all the traits you admire in someone, and (unless there's been some serious retcons) not many of the traits you don't admire (unlike Batman, who is a seriously flawed human being, he just manages to harness it into a positive direction).

If I was feeling a bit more classically super powered, it'd be hard to beat Captain Britain, though. I always liked the guy, he had a classic power set, the super-hero lantern jaw, a hot blonde girlfriend, you name it. Who doesn't like to be a flying brick, really? You've got the power, the speed, the durability -- good stuff, all around.

In a similar vein, Thor would be a blast to play -- except for how he talks. Call me a heretic, I know, but I just can't stand it. Ultimates Thor isn't half as bad on that front (and he's not clean shaven, which is a bonus when you're talking about Norse Gods), at least. Plenty of awesome powers, what could've been a cool backstory/origin/whatever, but that cheesy Shakespearean nonsense (coming from rough and tumble Norse deities) just always ruined it for me. Great power set, though!

Four color I would play Spiderman' date=' has the coolest rouges gallery for marvel.[/quote']

[pet peeve mode]I don't folow the Spider-books. When did he start wearing makeup? Is that why he's having trouble with his wife? And I would have thought characters like the Wasp would have had a wider variety of cool rouges (not to mention blushes, lipsticks, madscaras and eyeliners) than perpetually poverty-stricken Peter Parker.

Or perhaps you meant rogues (as in villains) rather than rouges (as in makeup; french word for "red"), but that seems too unlikely to credit ;) [/pet peeve mode]

[pet peeve mode]I don't folow the Spider-books. When did he start wearing makeup? Is that why he's having trouble with his wife? And I would have thought characters like the Wasp would have had a wider variety of cool rouges (not to mention blushes, lipsticks, madscaras and eyeliners) than perpetually poverty-stricken Peter Parker.

Or perhaps you meant rogues (as in villains) rather than rouges (as in makeup; french word for "red"), but that seems too unlikely to credit ;) [/pet peeve mode]

Well, yah, but he works for Tony Stark so he's an executive transvestite.

who is the Marvel equivalent of Gorilla Grodd ? Super Ape with intellect ?

is it Mandrill ? or other . . . ( brain not working )

TIA

Except that Madrill wasn't really an ape - he was a mutant who had an (extremely) ape-like appearance.

How about The Red Ghost's group of Super-Apes (which include a super strong gorilla, a magnetic orangutang, and a shape-shifting baboon)?

Marvel just never really did the whole "Gorilla my dreams" like DC.

As I posted on the other thread this question came up on, I don't think there's a direct equivalent of Grodd in Marvel.

The closest "soul mate" would IMO be Maximus of the Inhumans. Smart/inventor, mental powers, part of hidden advanced civilization that he tries to take over. But he's not as hairy as Grodd.

who is the Marvel equivalent of Gorilla Grodd ? Super Ape with intellect ?

is it Mandrill ? or other . . . ( brain not working )

TIA

Gorilla-Man maybe?

I think that I might go for "Power Man", the old villain in the brown outfit. I have never played a "brick" in a "Champions" game and he looks more "normal" than most of the Marvel muscle men. Or perhaps "The Silver Surfer" so that I could show Lee and his fellow inane writers who perpetrated the poor guy's dialogue how he SHOULD be handled !:rolleyes:

I think that I might go for "Power Man"' date=' the old villain in the brown outfit. I have never played a "brick" in a "Champions" game and he looks more "normal" than most of the Marvel muscle men. Or perhaps "The Silver Surfer" so that I could show Lee and his fellow inane writers who perpetrated the poor guy's dialogue how he SHOULD be handled !:rolleyes:[/quote']

Power Man is currently Atlas of the Thunderbolts. He could be a very interesting character to play. His conflicted loyalties at various times in the past have made for some tough choices, which would be interesting RP opportunities.

Power Man is currently Atlas of the Thunderbolts. He could be a very interesting character to play. His conflicted loyalties at various times in the past have made for some tough choices' date=' which would be interesting RP opportunities.[/quote'] I had forgotten about him becoming "Atlas". As you say his conflicted loyalties make him interesting plus, if memory serves, he was written fairly intelligently right from the word go. He seems to be very much a hero who started life as a villain. Have they ever explained how he came to be working for Baron Zemo before he bacame super powered ?

I had forgotten about him becoming "Atlas". As you say his conflicted loyalties make him interesting plus' date=' if memory serves, he was written fairly intelligently right from the word go. He seems to be very much a hero who started life as a villain. Have they ever explained how he came to be working for Baron Zemo before he bacame super powered ?[/quote']

He was a regular non-powered mercenary working for Baron Zemo I. After Zemo got defeated, he escaped into the jungle. He came across the lab used to create Wonder Man, and the Enchantress used the machines to give him similar abilities.

Devil-Slayer No one remembers the character, but I thought he was interesting back in the day. Strangely enough, he started life as an Atlas/Seaboard character. I loved the teleporting cloak and wide selection of weapons, as well as the mercenary background.

For the more curious:

http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix3/devilslayerdef.htm

http://www.atlasarchives.com/comics/devilslayer.html

http://home.flash.net/~jeanneb/d.html#devil

Well I just finished collating the "votes" so far by this method: I gave everyone 3 votes. If they mentioned one character as their clear favourite or choice he got three votes. If they mentioned two characters, then the first one got two votes and the second got one. If they mentioned multiple characters without hinting at a preference then each of the first three characters got one. I left out specifically cosmic or streetlevel choices. Aaand the top results are:

Spiderman with 30 points. Most respondents mentioned his agility and many mentioned his many troubles.

Captain America with 23 points: Most respondents mentioned his charisma and leadership abilities.

Iron Man with 17 points: Respondents mentioned his power, his money, his versaility, and his love life.

Nightcrawler with 12 points: Almost all respondents mentioned his agility with some finding his religiosity to be interesting in the roleplaying sense.

Beast with 11 points: Respondents seem to like his mixture of Nightcrawler -like agility, mini-brick strength, and brainpower. Nobody mentioned how cuddly he is.

Ben Grimm with 8 points: For his physical strength and sense of alienation.

Doctor Strange with 7 points: Most mentioned was the way he switches between the mundane and the bizarre.

Reed Richards with 6 points: Most mentioned was the appeal of being super-smart.

Captain Britain with 5 points:

Captain Marvel, Colossus and Genis-Vell tied at 4 points.

The remainder got 3 or less by my best guess.

So what conclusions can we reach?

People like agility. A _lot_. Acrobatic moves are the biggest draw.

People like leadership talent but mostly they just like Captain America. Cyclops got some love but only as a tertiary choice.

People like major league physical strength but their choice of who they pick on that basis is a bit more varied and unpredictable, perhaps because Marvel has more high power bricks than they do Spiderman level acrobats.

People like smart characters, but not as much as they like acrobats and bricks. Iron Man probably leads the pack because he's a smart brick.

Meanwhile zappers are not very popular unless they are also bricks.

And lastly:

Wolverine is waaaay overexposed.

Devil-Slayer No one remembers the character, but I thought he was interesting back in the day. Strangely enough, he started life as an Atlas/Seaboard character. I loved the teleporting cloak and wide selection of weapons, as well as the mercenary background.

I ran a Devil Slayer homage many years back, now that you mention the name.