Storn's Art & Characters thread.

Storn

Re: Storn's Art & Characters thread.

Pilot72.jpg

These works are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.5

Maybe it's the forearm-armor but the left arm looks too short. Cool image though.

Doesn't The Navarone count as drawing a craft?

Don't know why this thread is doing this... the phantom page...but oh well...

Well, it is sketch contest time again over at TenTon Studios. And this week it is Red Sonja. How could I pass doing that? Anyway, here is my entry.

Sonjask72.jpg

If you want to see about 20 different Red Sonjas... come on by TenTon studios, link:

http://www.tentonstudios.com/forum/index.php?topic=5288.0

If ya like, you can even throw a vote for one of them. Leave a comment!

Don't know why this thread is doing this... the phantom page...but oh well...

Well, it is sketch contest time again over at TenTon Studios. And this week it is Red Sonja. How could I pass doing that? Anyway, here is my entry.

Sonjask72.jpg

If you want to see about 20 different Red Sonjas... come on by TenTon studios, link:

http://www.tentonstudios.com/forum/index.php?topic=5288.0

If ya like, you can even throw a vote for one of them. Leave a comment!

If you really want to confuse people, draw Red Sonja the way REH actually described her. That's something I'd like to see! :sneaky:

But...but...she's not RED!

Its a freebie. I didn't have time to do any color on it. Because it would have to be traditional... acrylic, watercolor, pencil, oil, marker...something done by hand. I just didn't have time this week, I'm working on another M&M book (Villains) this week, next week.

Some of the other artists did some nice spot coloring on her hair. I especially like Khoi's... in fact, I voted for his.

If you really want to confuse people' date=' draw Ren Sonja the way REH actually described her. That's something I'd like to see! :sneaky:[/quote']

Yeah, but TenTon is a comic forum... not a literary one. The assignment was to do RED Sonja... not REH's european female crusader.

Although the heroine from that era I would really like to take a crack at is Jirel of Joirey.

Yeah, but TenTon is a comic forum... not a literary one. The assignment was to do RED Sonja... not REH's european female crusader.

Although the heroine from that era I would really like to take a crack at is Jirel of Joirey.

Yeah, I know. But a lot of people don't seem to know where she originally came from, which is a shame.

Yeah' date=' I know. But a lot of people don't seem to know where she originally came from, which is a shame.[/quote']

I haven't read it. But one of my favorite things about the Dark Horse reprints of the the original Conan run, was Roy Thomas's excellent background column of those days at Marvel. And how he adapted a lot from REH, weaving them into the Conan mythos...even modern day (ie, 1920s for REH's modern day) pulp stories.

It was a neat insight into working with a license, and insight into Thomas's writer's mind. It constantly strikes me, how much the original comic run went on to influence SO much of Conan. With artists like Winsor-Smith and Buscema really putting their mark on the character as much as Frazetta.

So, I know that Roy lifted Sonya and changed it to Sonja (with permission, btw, from the Howard estate)... for the comic. And now she is almost as recognizable.

Here, this is from my Hero Character sheet for Red Sonya:

Red Sonya of Rogatino appears in the Robert E Howard short story, The Shadow Of The Vulture, where she helps defend Vienna from Suleyman's 1529 invasion.

Howard describes Red Sonya as thus: "She was tall, splendidly shaped, but lithe. From under a steel cap escaped rebellious tresses that rippled red gold in the sun over her compact shoulders. High boots of Cordovan leather came to her mid-thighs, which were cased in baggy breeches. She wore a shirt of fine Turkish mesh-mail.... Her supple waist was confined by a flowing sash of green silk, into which were thrust a brace of pistols and a dagger, and from which depended a long Hungarian saber. Over this was carelessly thrown a scarlet cloak." Gottfried himself admires "the splendid swell of her bosom... the curves of her ample hips and rounded limbs."

Here' date=' this is from my Hero Character sheet for Red Sonya:[/quote']

That is a great description! Be fun to do. Especially to do some research on a decent helmet of the time, with the pistols... yeah... I like drawing flintlocke pistols... been doing a few of them recently in commissions.

That is a great description! Be fun to do. Especially to do some research on a decent helmet of the time' date=' with the pistols... yeah... I like drawing flintlocke pistols... been doing a few of them recently in commissions. [/quote']

Yeah, most anything REH did just drips with description.