Storn's Art & Characters thread.

Storn

Re: Storn's Art & Characters thread.

The cosmic hero looks familiar. You've done him before? It seems like I might have seen him in this thread. Same colour scheme' date=' similar costume?[/quote']

Possibly it looks similar to Marvel's Havok character (without the dorky and useless triple rails on his cowl) and that's who you are thinking of?

Keith

So if you are wondering how a Chinese girl came to be working for Dr Destroyer I will tell you.

Back in the early 80s the evil Dr was in China and happened upon a baby that had been abandoned. This was part of China's one child policy and parents especially in rural communities would abandon girls more than boys.

It would have been easy for the good Doctor to kill her but then a thought struck him. What if the child was raised by his methods ? Would this not be a scientific proof of nature vs nurture ? What if this baby girl could be the new Einstein ? The idea of the experiment appealed to him so the Destroyer picked up the baby and took her off to his lair.

As a scientific control he also made sure that Menton did not use his powers on her just to see what happened. And he set a curriculum focusing on the sciences and intelligence. If the child showed no apptitude for them then he could always mutate her later. He also had her enrolled in a normal school and had a condition set that she should never talk about him.

In 1992 the Destroyer set off his destruction of Detroit and afterward one Chinese girl secretly mourned the father who had saved her from certain death.

Come the millennium and the Destroyer revisited his old Chinese haunts. And was greeted on his return by a young woman. 'Greetings Master, welcome back. What do you want to do today and how may I assist ?'

She is loyal to only one person, Dr Destroyer. Unlike some others she realises she is expendable. But reasons if he had not saved her she would not exist.

She also ensures that any dress or style she has does not detract from her master. She loves him like a father but this is tempered by the fact of who he is. She serves his plan and with this she is content.

Very cool, Trib. I may be ripping this one off.

I just sent Storn a commission for the leader of the 1917 Bureau of Inconcievable Affairs, Dorothy Gale. I have a few more of the band to develop. Next is Buster Brown and the Cardiff Giant.

Steve

Vintage: A Ghost Story now a finalist for the Andre Norton Award.

I got permission to post these sketches, as they were part of the Houses of the Blooded playtest. The new game from designer John Wick (L5R, 7th Sea among others).

Even though we've been playing for a good 4 or 5 months, I didn't feel free to post artwork of an upcoming game, even though this is not pro- work, this is just scribbles at the table. If you are interested in checking out HotB, there is a free preview PDF here:

http://housesoftheblooded.com/

My assumptions: The Ven live in a fairly warm climate. Clothes are a bit skimpier than renaissance europe...but I keep slipping into a 3 musketeer mode. Remember: this type of outfits are a bit out of my acumen...I would need reference to pull what I have off in my head... and I'm at the gaming table. No time to look up reference.

Architecture in my mind is like the fantastical arabic musings of Hal Foster. Lots of butresses, scale is big.

Clothing, I go to India crossed with byzantine.

Faces: I range from oriental, to russian to indian again. And my typical white guy face does sneak in there. This is where color can really make a difference. Trying to show my own PC, Kolis, as being swarthy, yet elegant of feature, in JUST pencil, well, its a pain in the ass...

Swords: Elegant, slightly curved, good for the stab or the slash... I did many of them with no hilt. Because they are that DAMN good swordsfolk. Hilt is seen as a crutch, and a true artist with a sword doesn't need one.

First up, our quickie map of Shanri (and yes, I mispelled the damn thing on the map itself).

ShanriProvmap72.jpg

Next, was the cover if I was to do it. This pose proved to be very difficult and I would need a model to ge ge the weight of the figure and the odd angle to the hand brushing the hair back. But there is stuff in this that I really, really like. The height of the buildings for one.

Coverprop72.jpg

Jorha here had the aspect: "Perfect Ass" right on his character sheet. And the player MEANT the phsyical attribute, not 'tude. I HAD to draw that!!!

Jorja72.jpg

This is my newest PC, Kolis, son of Tyrian. Tyrian died vs. Ork, fighting to save his betrothed. Kolis was well positioned as the young guy, to take over the Count-ship from the evil Count Szas, with backing from all the other barons.

Kolis72.jpg

Tavish was originally Jorha's spymaster. But the player retired Jorha and picked up Tavish. Tavish is betrothed to Meza.

Tavish72.jpg

My beloved Tyrian, now deceased.

Tyr72.jpg

The Twins, Lonor and Sagay, also dead.

Twins72.jpg

The PC Sarac, who was a bad fit, evil, manipulative to the bone. He was killed by Bayool, his own son, who is now the player's PC.

Sarac72.jpg

And here is the prelim relationship map with a couple of more NPCs on it.

cast100.jpg

And a very quick sketch of Meza, once an NPC wife of Sagay, but now the Player of Sagay's PC after Sagay's operatic death. Meza, here, was leading forces against the evil Count Szaz's Ork allies on behalf of the young Count, Kollis.

Meza.jpg

And a very quick sketch of Meza, once an NPC wife of Sagay, but now the Player of Sagay's PC after Sagay's operatic death. Meza, here, was leading forces against the evil Count Szaz's Ork allies on behalf of the young Count, Kollis.

Hey, Storn. I think you might have put the wrong image here. This post seems to have the same one twice.

Wonderful, cool, evocative art. As usual.

Next, was the cover if I was to do it. This pose proved to be very difficult and I would need a model to ge ge the weight of the figure and the odd angle to the hand brushing the hair back. But there is stuff in this that I really, really like. The height of the buildings for one.

Coverprop72.jpg

When you color this, don't forget to make her red and put two moons in the sky. :D

Okay, first up, a private commission for a Forgotten Realms character.

Aerthen72.jpg

Next, it is Ten Ton Studio Contest Time. I did win last week, so I decided to nominate this week's challenge as one of my personal fav artists: Mark Schultz and his Cadillac and Dinosaurs for the subject matter.

Here is the link to thread to check out the other artist's versions...

http://www.tentonstudios.com/forum/index.php?topic=5452.0

CadsDinos85.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've been busy putting together 3 Warlord cards for their anniversary set. Doing oil paints is very time consuming. But they are done and I can get back to the large pile of commissions waiting for me.

Here is the first. A playing card themed superhero (or villain, not sure):

facecard72.jpg

These works are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.5

I've been busy putting together 3 Warlord cards for their anniversary set. Doing oil paints is very time consuming. But they are done and I can get back to the large pile of commissions waiting for me.

Here is the first. A playing card themed superhero (or villain, not sure):

facecard72.jpg

These works are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.5

Ooh! I like that! He's like a Ninja with a playing card motif! Very original. :thumbup: