Help! I'm stuck in a disad rut!

Great Beyond

You know, it occurs to me as I'm building one of my characters to be, that I am in a disadvantage rut. It's always seems to be the same type of psych disads, a D of unluck or two - the same ol' same old. Now of course every character is different, so I cant expect you guys to load me up with suggestions, but I thought I'd ask: what was the most unusual, offbeat, fun to play disadvantage you've come up with.

Perhaps if I have a big list to mull over, it'll spark an idea or two of my own.

Re: Help! I'm stuck in a disad rut!

One of the funniest Disads I had in my campaign was a friend of mine playing a Deadpool clone.

I don't have my book with me, by he had something like:

Consumate Wiseacre (Common, Strong)

In essence, he kep the smart comments coming constantly all night and had us in fits at times. Even when having his spleen donated for him by the villain, he had a smart and sassy comment for the situation.

One caveat tho... This takes a player with a quick wit. We have other players in the team that absolutely could not pull this off and would make this disad painfully annoying. :doi:

Loadstone: "Bring it to ME you ding.... biff!"

Then the snickering began.... :confused:

what I enjoy, is to have a ability or perk or something else that would be really useful, except for some reason the character will almost never use it. for example he is a good swimmer (a few extra inches of swimming for example and perhaps even aquatic movement if they were an excelent swimmer) but then put a strong phobia of deep water, perhaps he had a tramautic experience where his friend drowned.

I like the weirdness magnet or fan/girl magnet for some campaigns.

I'll post more later, gotto go help my Sensei teach a Women's self-defense course.

I'm currently playing a character with Rabid Environmentalist.

There could be some other fun ones:

Vegan

Loves Spiders

Always Wears Purple

Always Announces Attacks

Screams Like a Little Girl

Afraid of Technology (Technophobe)

Oh, the possibilities are endless.

Vegan

Now here's another question: would Vegan be a physical or psych disad? While I'm not one, I did spend a lot of time with veggies and vegans in college. After a while the body doesn't have the enzymes to deal with protein and meat and stuff anymore. So what started out as a lifestyle choice now makes them sick when they eat a cheeseburger. Eventually the body can adapt back to consuming meat - but it does take some work.

So a case could be made for either way.

From my Gamesmen supervillain team (all based on different games):

Physical Limitation: Battlesuit can be Shut Down Remotely (Infrequent, Fully)

Psychological Limitation: Mysophobia (Fear of Germs; Common, Strong)

A shapeshifting character named Roleplayer had two disads: Accidental Change (into person he's touching, 8-) and Pscyhological Limitation: Mildly Schizophrenic (occasionally slips into past personas he's imitated or created)

A swashbuckling villain had DNPC: Maidens in Distress. He couldn't help himself.

Two teammates (Needler and PingPong) with high OCVs and plenty of Combat Skill Levels both had Rivalry versus each other. They would waste levels on bouncing attacls to come up with a trick shot the other couldn't duplicate.

Bankshot, a villain with a pool ball multipower and a pool cue (HtH Attack), talked to his pool cue (he named it Floyd) and would go psycho if it was taken from him.

Psychological Limitation: Conspiracy Nut is always fun.

From my Femmes Fatale supervillainess team:

Aspect has Code vs. Killing and Reputation: Murderer (not true, she was being slandered to discredit her)

Tara and Kara are the twin bricks, and have an abnormally dense body structure (don't dare comment about their weight!). They have a Physical Limitation that they can't float or swim.

Their mentalist has Susceptability: 2d6/phase when mentally linked to someone in pain.

Their agents, the Boy Toys, are basically muscle-bound normal males. They would frequently jump in front of heroes' attacks or attack superheroes single-handed to try and impress the Femmes. They'd also occasionally try to get the heroes' help. "C'mon, dude, be cool and make me look good for the babes, okay?"

You know' date=' it occurs to me as I'm building one of my characters to be, that I am in a disadvantage rut. It's always seems to be the same type of psych disads, a D of unluck or two - the same ol' same old. Now of course every character is different, so I cant expect you guys to load me up with suggestions, but I thought I'd ask: what was the most unusual, offbeat, fun to play disadvantage you've come up with.[/size']

Perhaps if I have a big list to mull over, it'll spark an idea or two of my own.

The best ever Disad I've encountered personally was created by a female gaming friend of mine. She applied it to her DNPC (and her husband, a long-time GM ran with it in his own campaigns forever after):

2x Stun from Kidnapping Attacks. It's just so..PULP!

A close second: 2x Stun from attacks to the face (for a character who was very beautiful and incredibly vain), followed by Enraged by Attacks to Her Face....

Three personal favorites:

Psych Lim: Spoonerisms (VC, M). The character is prone to mixing up words/parts of words, screwing up his lines amusingly. For example: "Do, evil-halters! Wait... that's not right...."

Psych Lim: Must Be A Hero (VC, T). This isn't just the typical, four-color "I'm a hero, I'm gonna act like it!" or "With great power comes lousy fashion sense" routine. This is the character who, rather like Foxbat is compelled to be a true, comic-book style supervillain, is compelled to be an equally kitschy superhero. Bonus points if, like Hong Kong Phooey, he routinely has to consult The Manual.

Particularly fun when I combined this with Spoonerisms on one character of mine. ^^

And, finally:

Airhead (VC, M). Whether actually dumb or not, the character is prone to acting Not Quite All There... which, while it can make people underestimate you routinely, also means that you're probably going to be the first one to say "huh?" when the villain explains his Master Plan.

I've had everything from hunted by supervillain ex-wife for custody of the character's daughter, to completely unafraid of death (mildly curious instead.)

Others include the Shepherd a superhero who's a devout Baptist and as such is a conscious role model for his faith. His limitations include a reputation for devoutness, psych lims to follow his religion and watched by the rest of the faith.

Those are just a couple of ideas.

The most fun disad I have played was Psych Lim: Lecherous. Basically it meant my character hit on any female in the vicinity, and did it constantly. Even in combat again female supervillains, and bad pickup lines abounded :D

Things got really interesting when I rolled a three on my seduction against the main female antagonist in the campaign. It was doomed from the start, but boy it was fun, especially when she kidnapped me to make me her love slave.

My character, I mean my character. Not me. That blurs the line to much.

even if you hadn't planned to mouth off, you're expected to. And better yet, the character kinda liked the Rep, but it is a Disad: "Yo, Dr. D! Acne so bad you gotta wear an iron mask?"

Smart @$$ing around Dr. D? Didnt live long did he. :P

The most fun disad I have played was Psych Lim: Lecherous. Basically it meant my character hit on any female in the vicinity, and did it constantly. Even in combat again female supervillains, and bad pickup lines abounded :D

Things got really interesting when I rolled a three on my seduction against the main female antagonist in the campaign. It was doomed from the start, but boy it was fun, especially when she kidnapped me to make me her love slave.

My character, I mean my character. Not me. That blurs the line to much.

I gave one of mine that I use some WWYCD threads (frosty Bob) the lecherous one. Course he has high resistant defenses so it doesnt bother him too much. :D After getting pummeled "so baby is that a maybe" :P And played up one time after being captured by female villain and then rescued by his team, to being mad at the team for resuing him. LOL

I thought about giving a character the Psych Lim of having an intense hatred of clowns.

Yeargh. This is actually pretty difficult since I *never* have this problem. I just think of the character, figure out what their key flaws are and throw them on the page. For example:

Mad Scientist

Mentally Disconnected (Psych Lim, Common, Strong - the character can't properly understand how other people think so it makes it impossible for him to empahize or sympathize with others)

Uncontrollable Creativity (Psych Lim, Common, Total) - Everything the Good Doctor sees looks like new parts to experiment with. So not only does he not understand you - he thinks you'd make great monster fodder.

Knows No Limits (Pysch Lim, Common, Total) - The Good Doctor will go to ANY length to see his vision fulfilled. He will grave rob, murder, have murdered, make deals with the devil, sell his soul - sell YOUR soul - he doesn't care. He is absolutely amoral.

Hunted (Any and all local authorities, as pow, capture/kill) - for his many atrocities, the Good Doctor has picked up numerous enemies; you can even take multiple hunteds, depending on how many other people are involved

Rivalry (Scientific Community; Rival is unaware) - Because he has to prove that he's better than all of them.

Does that help? Do you get a better idea of what I'm talking about?