Bad Powers

SpydirShellX

Re: Bad Powers

Armor' date=' high PD/ED, Invisible Effects, "only vs. superpowers", so he can stand up to Firewing's blasts all day, but an ordinary thug with a gun can take him out easily.[/quote']

Actually, stuff like that would be perfect. Hard to take out until you realize you can send bucky, the wonder-sidekick in to just sock 'im in the guts a couple times. =)

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually' date=' stuff like that would be perfect. Hard to take out until you realize you can send bucky, the wonder-sidekick in to just sock 'im in the guts a couple times. =)[/quote']

Defenses that exceed the maximum possible effect a non-super is capable of generating, with the "all or nothing" Limitation, would enable supers to affect him if they only used their weaker attacks (in other words, take the long, slow, beatdown process, giving him plenty of time to hit back and/or run away).

Interestingly, attacks with Reduced Penetration would actually be more effective this way.

Ok I have a few ideas for this...

1)Breakable-Transform Anything into broken version of same. Slap on always on or inherent with some penetrating lvls, verses all non-organic items. The guy can cause all sorts of problems for a hero and hurt him as well with well thought out ambushes. Of course the guy has to walk everywhere but he simply cannot be incarcerated as he naturally inevitably "breaks" free! He might not even make it to jail because the jail bus breaks down, the cops guns break apart into the seperate components, and of course when this happens any and all other arrested baddies will most likely hail him as their personal hero and help him get away in turn! Just some ideas.

2)This here is my favorite though. Just have the villain buy some good ol naked power "advantages" except their limitations with UAA! For instance Delayed effect say one minute or so. Hit the hero with that and suddenly he can't do anything for one full minute! Not to your taste how about increased END x10! OOC- Hey Captain Blasto how much does that 20D6 EB of yours cost? Now it costs alot more, are you burning STUN yet? Cripes the possiblities are nearly endless with this concept and yet none of them are truly useful for a hero per se but perfect for hunting down other supers who got the kewl powers.

Ok I had another one but I forgot it, so if/when I remember I'll come back and throw it up. Hope these help!

There are certain sonic frequencies that cause people to lose control of their bowels. Now if he could emit those frequencies that could be annoying. Its kind of junky but who wants to fight with soiled tights? Give it invisible power effects so he can do it from the crowd. Have him emit all manner of annoying frequencies. Break glass, make dogs howl, disrupt radios, Cell phone service, ect. Since its invisible meybe they have to notice that this guys just always on the scene as an "innocent" bystander.

Nice thought' date=' but this is a Limitation, not an Advantage, so it can't be bought Naked.[/quote']

Really? You might be correct. However when I read the rules for Naked Power Advantages on pg 244 of FREDrev it says their... distinct full fledge powers with their own special effects, and may have other advantages and limitations applied to them.

Now I might have misinterpeted this rule but I took that to mean one can buy limitations as a NPA if one so chose to do so. You would just have to buy UAA also if you wanted to use it on other people of course.

Anyone else know if this is right or wrong? I'm curious myself.

Really? You might be correct. However when I read the rules for Naked Power Advantages on pg 244 of FREDrev it says their... distinct full fledge powers with their own special effects' date=' and may have other advantages and limitations applied to them.[/i']

Now I might have misinterpeted this rule but I took that to mean one can buy limitations as a NPA if one so chose to do so. You would just have to buy UAA also if you wanted to use it on other people of course.

Anyone else know if this is right or wrong? I'm curious myself.

Nope, the rules and FAQ are very specific that you can't apply a Limitation or Disadvantage UAA against another character. You have to use Transform to impose such things on them.

I'm certain that the passage you're quoting refers to the fact that the Naked Advantage itself can be given Advantages and Limitations distinct from the Power that it modifies, not that a Limitation can be used as a Naked Advantage.

I'm certain that the passage you're quoting refers to the fact that the Naked Advantage itself can be given Advantages and Limitations distinct from the Power that it modifies' date=' not that a Limitation can be used as a Naked Advantage.[/quote']

Lord Liaden has already said here everything I was going to, so I'll just add that, when you buy an Advantage as "Naked", it becomes a power unto itself - so, whereas normally, you could not reduce the value of Advantages by attaching a Limitation to them (say, Armor-Piercing, but only with an Activation Roll; you would have to put Activation Roll on the whole power), nor model a limited advantage that way, you can with a Naked Advantage.

As some of you know, the Wild Cards Series had Supers called "Deuces". These were Supers whose Power or Powers were trivial or useless. Recently, a few years ago, they did a book all about Deuces.

The Church Minister who could turn water into wine.

The Comedienne who could MAKE people laugh at her jokes.

The Forger whose fingertips could be any kind of writing implement.

The man who could turn himself into a slimy puddle on the ground.

The man with enough Pyrokinesis to produce a candle flame on his finger.

Enough Telekinesis to move a Penny a few inches across a tabletop.

"Pigment Man", a Night Club singer who sang "The Yellow Rose of Texas" "Red, Red Robin" and other songs with colors in them while making his skin that color.

Super strength only to lift with the limitations must keep hand or other body part on object while lifting and must be experiencing a strong emotion. At the Climax of making love to the Woman he loved, the broken Rocket this man was in lifted off the surface of the moon. And they had thought they were stuck.

Since its invisible meybe they have to notice that this guys just always on the scene as an "innocent" bystander.

Thus "Bystander" is born, *all* of his powers are only usable by others. How will our heros subdue a flock of innocents? Some of the crowd may be just eggshells with hammers, or they may be granted defensive and offensive powers. If Bystander is good at tactics and switching powers around amongst a group of bystanders, the heroes' can't know who may be "hiding" a power. For more fun, Bystander could be taking a cut from one or more of the ambulance chasing type personal injury lawyers, just drumming up some business...

Emotional Amping: 15D6 Mind Control, Emotions Only, No Conscious Control, Only Effects Cannot Be Controlled.

He can inspire powerful emotions at will, but he can't pick which emotions he inspires...

Or remove the Emptions only, but leave "Only Effects Cannot Be Controlled." Then, the person obeys the next instruction their given because they are susceptible to command, only the command isn't necessarily from him.

Sense Toxic Fungus (Unusual Group)' date=' Discriminatory, Analyze, Only After Consumption[/quote']

Expand that to any poison (or drug) and you've got a deal.

"Aha . . . I see that you have slipped me the Polorian truth serum."

or "I sense that the milkshake you have just fed me contains trace elements of certain chemicals which are conducive to (snore)"

you could take just about anything out of the list in Stuper Powers. My all-time favorite is "Summon Buddha"

The illustration is the character being pummeled as Buddha looms in the background counselling him that "life is suffering". Unappreciative, the character shouts "thanks a lot, you big, fat F**K!"

Hey, let me throw in a few ideas:

I Hear Puppies! 18d6 Mind Scan, Only Versus Puppies (-2) plus 12d6 Telepathy, Linked (-1/2), Only Versus Puppies (-2.) Basically, the character can hear the thoughts of all the puppies on the planet.

Nude Ray. 18d6 EB, Only Versus Clothing (-2.) A ridiculously powerful energy blast that just makes people naked. :)

And, my favorite, from the Legion of Superheroes:

Matter-Eating. 1/2d6HKA NND does Body (+2 Advantage), No STR Add (-1/2) The character can eat anything. ANYTHING.

*sigh* Am I the only one who thinks they missed out when they didn't include Matter-Eater Lad in the new Legion TV series?

Mind Control (vs. Machine Class of Mind) 20d6.

Only vs. Shopping Trolleys (-2).

Of absolutely no use, as anyone who has tried pushing a shopping trolley around a supermarket carpark knows, shopping trolleys have 100 ego, +20 ego outdoors, +20 ego if children attached, and are violently opposed to doing anything YOU want it to, as opposed to what the kids hanging off the trolley want.

Gee...remind me that in my normal ID, I am a simple Utility Clerk, why don't cha?