CHAMPIONS OF THE NORTH -- What Would You Like To See?

GestaltBennie

Re: CHAMPIONS OF THE NORTH -- What Would You Like To See?

The Atlas of Canada - Population Map of Canada

http://atlas.nrcan.gc.ca/site/english/maps/peopleandsociety/population/population2001/density2001

Your "2006" Pet Gaming Projects - The RCMP

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=927763&postcount=2

And so much more

QM

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Basicly, what eveyone has said, I want to see.

Also, I would love to know exactly who is considered the bigest threat to Canada in the Hero Universe. Yes, I KNOW that lots of USA villians "slum" up to Canada. And of course, just the oposit is also true...many villians from Canada sneek down to the USA to cool off (and comit crimes down here), while waiting for the RMP to cool there jets in trying to find them. So, a list of Canadian Super Villians would be helpful. As would a list of Canadian Super Heros.

Also, what important events shaped Canada, both real life and fictional? Is there a super villian group who wants reconition of Qubec any way thay can get it?

And what is Canada's relationship with other countries?

A clear explanation of the relationship of any national hero teams to the organizations they work for. An intro (at least brief) to the Canadian Armed Forces and/or RCMP (esp. the latter). Explanations of how the Canadian Government relates to non-official paranormals, and what mechanisms, other than the official supers, they have for dealing with them (does the RCMP have a super-crime investigations unit (highly skilled normals for the most part), does the Canadian Armed Forces have a "hulk-buster" style team), etc. Oh, and Sasquatch. There must be Sasquatch.

Oh' date=' and Sasquatch. There must be Sasquatch.[/quote']

And while I don't want this to become a "Hero System Canadia Beastery", if your going to include someone using the name Sasquatch, then we need someone using the name Wyndergo (Winter-Go, whatever).

Oh, and the Wyndergo should be powerful enougth to take on multiple supers at once...and eat them.

Hi. Thanks for the suggestions, keep 'em coming, A few comments

- The place of Canada in the Champions Universe, and its relationship with foreign authorities and organizations is a given.

- We'll probably touch on Canadian stereotypes, though I don't want to pay that much attention to them. Those who want to use stereotypes won't listen to a lecture, and it's better to talk about how to use them in interesting ways than to admonish people for going there. [Though I am tempted to throw in a Nelson Eddy/Jeannette MacDonald-style singing Mountie campaign, just to turn people off the stereotype once and for all.]

- I plan to include a bestiary, it won't be a big one, but should include sasquatches, wendigos, thunderbirds, ogopogos, and other folk beasties,. I'll put out a call here and on RPG.NET to help me research local ones not native to BC. I also intend to include stats for folk heroes like Jos Motferrand and Alexis-le-trotteur. Space permitting, I'll include a few "You Gotta Have Character Writeups" for people like Raymond Collishaw (who was as great a pilot as Bishop, but whose career spanned the period between the wars), Lionel Conacher (Canada's greatest athlete), Sir Frederick Banting, Louis Riel, Sam Steele, Norman Bethune, Brigadier Currie, and other actual historical people who might be encountered in a western or pulp game. Or maybe Gerald Bull for a modern game.

- Golden Age characters, which will include tributes to the heroes of the Canadian whites. are a given.

- There'll be some space devoted to Teleios's Canadian activities and why COMET (and others) don't like him very much.

- I like a lot of the original CotN characters, but we'll be going our own way with this book (though I want to do a few nods to the original). The power level of the original book never bothered me (or overly impressed me), however we won't have an archvillain who can barely take on Bulldozer who somehow gets billed as Destroyer's near-equal. The characters in the book will be on par with the rest of the established Champions universe, Also we had quite a few of the villains in the original CoTN who were "villains with a heart of gold". As I can personally testify that Canadian criminals are just as depraved and evil as those in any other country, we'll be raising the scum and villainy factor of the bad guys in the book.

- I'm not sure whether including adventures is worth it. How many GMs out there actually played any of the ones in the original CotN? I am tempted to include a Villainy Amok style scenario for the "visiting heroes meet local heroes and have a misunderstanding" plot. Which would you prefer?

As I can personally testify that Canadian criminals are just as depraved and evil as those in any other country, we'll be raising the scum and villainy factor of the bad guys in the book.

Now that's Patriotism Champions style :)

But it does remind me of another idea. Perhaps in a sidebar or something you can suggest a way to alter fictional Canada to be more 4 color or Iron in tone, depending on the individual GM preferences. For some this is a no brainer anyway, but for others it can be a big help are at least point them in the right direction.

"5 - Heroes & Villains for the Provinces (ie: Heroes for Quebec, Toronto, etc)."

How about a basic geography lesson about Canada for our fellow American fans? (Toronto is in the province of Ontario)

I am tempted to include a Villainy Amok style scenario for the "visiting heroes meet local heroes and have a misunderstanding" plot.

This is essential.

My suggestion: a list of prominent landmarks. There isn't much point to sending PCs to another country and having them end up in Generic Warehouse #852. What are the Canadian equivalents of Uluru and the Sydney Opera House?

While I know that all Canadians don't talk like the Mackensie Brothers, a list of Canadian colloquialisms and slang would help to add flavor to games set there.

I second sites to see and punch villains on.

Major cultural influences that would inspire heroism and villainy beyond the included characters (so GMs and players can make their own) would be excellent.

I've never been able to visualize how Detroit could have been wiped up without affecting Windsor so you may want to touch on that. Forgive me if this was covered already in Millenium City.

Basically I would like enough information that I could decide to set my campaign in Edmonton if I wanted.

I've never been able to visualize how Detroit could have been wiped up without affecting Windsor so you may want to touch on that. Forgive me if this was covered already in Millenium City.

I'm not sure if this is in Millenium City either, but if not the impact on Windsor bears addressing.

The power level of the original book never bothered me (or overly impressed me), however we won't have an archvillain who can barely take on Bulldozer who somehow gets billed as Destroyer's near-equal.

Hey know, let's not get on the case of poor Lord Dire here. While he may not have been in Destroyer's league he was certainly capable of taking on Bulldozer, especially in the 4th Edition. :)

I'd like to see a return of Borealis, and don't retcon him into a child eating SOB. One villain who at least thinks he means well is ok.

And The Amazing Darkon, Canada's own Foxbat, would be swell if you can swing it.

I'd like to see a return of Borealis, and don't retcon him into a child eating SOB. One villain who at least thinks he means well is ok.

And The Amazing Darkon, Canada's own Foxbat, would be swell if you can swing it.

Borealis is as close to a perfect character as any I wrote back in the day. He's not getting many changes, except that the reason for his apotheosis will be revealed, and I might give him a couple of cool new tricks for his powers and detail his goals and organization in more detail..

Darkon is Denniss character, and I'm pretty sure that we don't have the rights. And while I like Dennis, I was never a fan of that character. (I was never really partial to any of Alluvial's silly characters, except for Andy's Galloping Gallooper). If we want a silly character in CotN, I'd rather use the Leaper or make someone new.

As I have said before I am looking foreword to it. I am curious what changes you have wrought since you shared the proposal with me though?

How would the Canadian Governement pay for a Super Prison or Super Agents? Let alone the costs of developing a Super Trooper/Soldier?

Cheers

QM

"How can you take an economics crisis in Canada seriously when the Loonie is down?" - Robin Williams

This is essential.

My suggestion: a list of prominent landmarks. There isn't much point to sending PCs to another country and having them end up in Generic Warehouse #852. What are the Canadian equivalents of Uluru and the Sydney Opera House?

Edmonton: West Edmonton Mall (It's like any other mall, except bigger and with a roller coaster...oh and a larger submarine fleet than the Canadian Navy)

Toronto: CN Tower. (It's like the Space Needle, only bigger)

Niagara Falls: The good side is the Canadian side.

Vancouver: I understand they have an aquarium or something.

Edmonton: West Edmonton Mall (It's like any other mall' date=' except bigger and with a roller coaster...oh and a larger submarine fleet than the Canadian Navy)[/quote']

While the roller coaster (and entire Galaxyland park) remains, along with the waterpark and the ice rink, the submarines were pulled last summer (I may have the exact timing wrong) and the seal show has replaced the dolphins.

Hi. Thanks for the suggestions, keep 'em coming, A few comments...

...I am tempted to include a Villainy Amok style scenario for the "visiting heroes meet local heroes and have a misunderstanding" plot. Which would you prefer?

Let me be perfectly clear when I say: :drool: I can't wait.

[snipped comments for brevity]

I vote for the scenario idea too. :thumbup:

While the roller coaster (and entire Galaxyland park) remains' date=' along with the waterpark and the ice rink, the submarines were pulled last summer (I may have the exact timing wrong) and the seal show has replaced the dolphins.[/quote']

Well, submarines are notoriously hard to train...