CHAMPIONS OF THE NORTH -- What Would You Like To See?

GestaltBennie

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: CHAMPIONS OF THE NORTH -- What Would You Like To See?

Character sheets for Terrance and Phillip.

No seriously, Scott is my favorite writer at Hero, and I am sure whatever he will do will be molten gold. No chance I am not ordering this book the very day it's out.

I'd like to see some old characters from products of previous editions, such as from Enemies the International Files or Villainy Unbound (best Champions artwork ever there IMHO), just to feel some of the old magic. You know, i used get more adventure ideas reading a villain's history than 100 pages of setting.

Talking of artwork, I beg for something better than Champions Worldwide... or I'll ask Azurax Silverhawk to roast the whole hq up!

Gronb, thanks.

QM, I won't know for what will and wpn't make it into the dinal draft until I've finished the manuscript and Steve's vitted it. There'll be cool bits and fun if I have anything to say about it. :-)

Damn.. and here I thought there was some stuff you did not submit.

;)

QM

If it's not too late, here are some ideas I have.

I believe it would be helpful to put how Candadians feel about the U.S.A. Growing up, I used to think Canadians loved their southern neighbor, but in the last few years, I've seen lots of anti-U.S. spouting from Canadians (particularly one that used to be on these boards). A mention of the American-Canadian Highway I would think is a must. How do Canadians feel about Alaska? Is it a popular tourist spot for them? If mentioning sports, talk about Canadian football (rogue?) - I only know it's on a larger field and with 12 players instead of 11. Plus, there'd have to be some CU sports teams added.

Some other things I'd like to see: Asian villain organizations. I understand that there's a lot of unseemly types illegally in Canada (or at least, doing illegal things) who are from Asia - perhaps a 4-color reference (if you don't put VIPER into that role). Lastly, the population of Canada (broken down by area [are they called provinces or territories? I am confused on that.] if possible). Again, growing up, I used to think Canada had as many people as the US; it should be mentioned they have 33 million. Lastly, what about the sovereignty dispute with Denmark over Hans Island in the Kennedy Channel between Ellesmere Island and Greenland. Is this a "hot" topic worthy of supervillain crimes, or just something between the locals? Is Denmark reviled at all because of this? (Or more of a non-issue with citizens?)

For trivia (I'd really like to know), is there a reason Canadians are not called Canadans? Is that by chance a French origin?

If it's not too late, here are some ideas I have.

I believe it would be helpful to put how Candadians feel about the U.S.A. Growing up, I used to think Canadians loved their southern neighbor, but in the last few years, I've seen lots of anti-U.S. spouting from Canadians (particularly one that used to be on these boards). A mention of the American-Canadian Highway I would think is a must. How do Canadians feel about Alaska? Is it a popular tourist spot for them? If mentioning sports, talk about Canadian football (rogue?) - I only know it's on a larger field and with 12 players instead of 11. Plus, there'd have to be some CU sports teams added.

Some other things I'd like to see: Asian villain organizations. I understand that there's a lot of unseemly types illegally in Canada (or at least, doing illegal things) who are from Asia - perhaps a 4-color reference (if you don't put VIPER into that role). Lastly, the population of Canada (broken down by area [are they called provinces or territories? I am confused on that.] if possible). Again, growing up, I used to think Canada had as many people as the US; it should be mentioned they have 33 million. Lastly, what about the sovereignty dispute with Denmark over Hans Island in the Kennedy Channel between Ellesmere Island and Greenland. Is this a "hot" topic worthy of supervillain crimes, or just something between the locals? Is Denmark reviled at all because of this? (Or more of a non-issue with citizens?)

For trivia (I'd really like to know), is there a reason Canadians are not called Canadans? Is that by chance a French origin?

Of course, I'm not Scott and I don't know what he intends to include or not in the book, but being Canadian, I thought I would reply any way.

How Canadians feel about Americans is a complex subject and the attitude can vary greatly from Canadian to Canadian. I'm sure this is an area that Scott will touch on but I suspect whatever he says will only scratch the surface since I think one could easily fill a book on the subject.

By American-Canadian highway, I suspect you mean the Alaskan Highway, but I'm not sure since I've never heard it referred to as that. I have heard Alaskan-Canadian (or AlCan) Highway though. While I'm not sure that I would touch on it or attitudes towards Alaska, if I were writing the book , Scott might be more likely to cover it since he is from British Columbia.

I'm sure that Canadian football will get covered briefly. Besides the differences you mention, the biggest difference is that Canadian football has three downs versus four -- although there are a lot of other minor differences. As for CU CFL (or other sports) teams, I suspect that will depend upon whether or not Scott adds any fictional Canadian cities that would be suitable for franchises. Personally, I would be tempted to have the Expos still in Montreal but that may just be me :). Many Canadians would also likely be tempted to have the Quebec Nordiques and Winnipeg Jets of the NHL not move to Colorado and Phoenix although they would probably still have the Atlanta Flames move to Calgary. But that brings us back to Canadian attitudes on Americans again ...

I am almost certain that Scott will touch on Asian gangs as that is an issue that is particularly prevalent in BC. I also expect that he will touch on biker gangs that play a large role in Canadian organized crime.

As for provinces and territories, Canada has both. There are 10 provinces (British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, Newfoundland and Labrador, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and Prince Edward Island) which are full partners in Confederation and are basically equivalent to States. There are also 3 territories (Yukon, Northwest Territories, and Nunavut) which can be considered as similar to pre-statehood territories in US history although the Canadian territories have representation in the Canadian parliament.

I'm not sure whether the Hans Island dispute will be covered in the book or not, as its prime importance is as a precedent to other sovereignty claims over the northern waters that involve the U.S, Canada, Russia, Denmark, and Norway. I don't think there are any hard feelings towards Denmark because of this dispute amongst the general populace.

Finally, as for your trivia question about Canadians versus Canadans, I don't really know and I couldn't find anything on the web about it. It might be a French (or Latin) thing or it may simply have been chosen because it sounds better.

Canadians are not a group, but individuals. Does it seem very strange to you that those who are heard the most least represent the people they claim to represent?

"We are at our best when we move together and at our worst." - Delenn, Ambassador for Minbar.

QM

Of course, I'm not Scott and I don't know what he intends to include or not in the book, but being Canadian, I thought I would reply any way.

How Canadians feel about Americans is a complex subject and the attitude can vary greatly from Canadian to Canadian.

Oh come now - we're all Canadians, and all identical. Just like all Americans are identical, with the same opinions on all subjects.

And by the way, we DO SO know Bob from Canada, we just won't give you the satisfaction.

Oh come now - we're all Canadians, and all identical. Just like all Americans are identical, with the same opinions on all subjects.

And by the way, we DO SO know Bob from Canada, we just won't give you the satisfaction.

Have you been to Bally?

I'd like to see more Canadian independent heroes. Last Champions of the North I seem to recall some solos getting mentioned' date=' but all we were given were the organized heroes.[/quote']

Ravenspeaker, Celestar, and Forceknight are all mentioned as indy heroes [that going along with The StarForce and COMET teams].

Ravenspeaker' date=' Celestar, and Forceknight are all mentioned as indy heroes [that going along with The StarForce and COMET teams'].

Yes, but I was talking about 4th ed Champions of the North. It had character sheets for a dozen or so government superheroes but nobody else, although I seem to recall some names being dropped belonging to solos. I know it's unlikely but I'm pointing it out in hopes of making sure it doesn't happen again.

I'm weird that way.

I agree that Biker Gangs are really big here in Canada. Plus Edmonton is not only the city of Champions but is often the murder capital of the country. Right now we have a big oil boom going on Rents and housing prices are sky high and rising. Perhaps a Robin hood style villian appears. Plus as was posted earlier diamonds are very big up north in the territories. Don't forget climate and weather we have lots of nasty storms up here. Like blizzards, hurricaines, tornados and thunder storms. Various Native groups some times resort to traffic blockades and other measures to plead land claims and other cases. We have our own film and televsion industry. Though our most famous people tend to head to the U.S.A. to make more money. I can see some Canadian super heroes and villians doing the same. I would love to see more information on Telios. Lastily a mention of famous Canadian heroes of the past would be nice.

Ferret......

Given that the most famous and justifiably most-maligned Canadian hero in the comics is Wolverine, maybe an homage? Or better yet a parody?

(Just an idea -- not necessarily a good one.)

Maybe some sort of Foxbat analog... ;)

Given that the most famous and justifiably most-maligned Canadian hero in the comics is Wolverine, maybe an homage? Or better yet a parody?

(Just an idea -- not necessarily a good one.)

Maybe some sort of Foxbat analog... ;)
I'd personally prefer to see a mockery, er, parody of Wolverine. Maybe his quote is "But...but, I'm supposed to be invincible!"

A city. Overview and general detail. I would like to see enough to support a GM and at least a mini campaign. But I don't think that is practice. So I guess the City Book should come out in 2009 ;)

Solo villains. More solo villains.

A primer for:

Canadian law and legal system.

Canadian civil law enforcement agencies.

Canadian federal law enforcement agencies.

Canadian Military.

A city. Overview and general detail. I would like to see enough to support a GM and at least a mini campaign. But I don't think that is practice. So I guess the City Book should come out in 2009 ;)

Solo villains. More solo villains..

A primer for:

Canadian law and legal system..

Canadian Law - Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Canadian_law

Canadian civil law enforcement agencies..

Law Enforcement Agencies of Canada

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Canadian_Mounted_Police#Notes_and_references

Canadian federal law enforcement agencies..

Law Enforcement Agencies of Canada

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Canadian_Mounted_Police#Notes_and_references

Canadian Military.

Canadian Armed Forces

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Military

Cheers

QM

• 2 weeks later...

Well there was no Canadian comic book industry in the Silver Age and of course the Americans weren't going to create any Canadian characters but that doesn't mean that the Champions Universe Canada was quite that dry. After all Alpha Flight and Wolverine retrocontinuity has put a couple of characters back into that timeframe. Although perhaps the world would be a better place without Major Mapleleaf.

I believe Captain Canuck - a very good "Canadian Captain America" - qualifies as Silver Age, at least if you extend the Silver Age into the 70s. I also remember a Northstar or something similar amongst the early Indy titles that was a Canadian product.

And I definitely vote for an RCMP hero, perhaps the latest in a long line of heroic mounties. He might even be the "Batman" of Canada.

I'd personally prefer to see a mockery, er, parody of Wolverine. Maybe his quote is "But...but, I'm supposed to be invincible!"

"He's the worst there is at what he does - and what he does sure is nice."

"If they didn't want to get bonked, they shouldn't have given me all these Nerf toys."