WWYD - Marvel's Civil War

Stone

Re: WWYD - Marvel's Civil War

Soulbarb ignores it. She keeps a low enough profile that the government most likely isn't aware of her existence, and she plans to keep it that way.

Sylph wants to do the right thing, but isn't sure what that is. Complicated by the fact that she is likely to be one of the types of people that would have precipitated the law being passed; she has the magical equivalent of MPD and her maenad persona is exceedingly reckless and devoted more to (a) serving Dionysus and (B) having fun than any normal ideas of heroism. She'd be happy to work with the government, but they are going to have a really hard time training their way past this problem or treating it with standard psychotherapy.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The penalty is that' date=' once brought in, the metahumans are incarcerated in a special prison in the Negative Zone, with special restraints for their power set, if necessary. There is no trial necessary for this incarceration, neither is there any appeal, nor any way to secure release. You get one chance to register, and once you refuse, you're locked up for life.[/quote']

Y'know... there's nothing like good, ham-handed political commentary in the comics.

And this proves it.

It doesn't make sense in that the Registration Act would not have prevented the event that triggered it. It does make sense in that the general public feels threatened by metahuman activity and this has been presented to them as a solution.

The theory makes some sense. The logic is that the New Warriors were untrained and unmonitored. Had they been properly trained, they would not have taken the action they did in Stamford, exposing the civilians to risk.

Police officers, military, medical practitioners, EMT's - they're all registered and subject to training requirements. Shouldn't Supers have similar requirements to prevent risks to the public?

I can see the public buying into the concept, especially when emotions are running high after a recent and well publicized tragedy.

Tao: Would support the registration act and in fact doesn't understand why such an act isn't in place already. It seems ineffecient to her to not have you available resources catogorized and ready for deployment. Note that Tao is a genetically engineered super solider that views practically everything military/warfare terms.

Eve: Would be for it all the way. The government wants to help people and knowing who has power and the releveant informaton would just help make things easier to organize and the government would never do anything bad with the information. They're good guys! Eve is an artifically intelligent robotic lifeform built in part under government contract. She has a child like persona and out look on the world despite being extremely intelligent.

Shidoku: She's a vigilane now and a "registraton act" wouldn't change that. She'd seen the entire thing as a scam and power grab as she doesn't trust the government in the first place.

Ivy would register. While she doesn't really support the act, she doesn't

need any more legal entanglement to muddle her divorce and custody hearings and its not like she can really hide her idenity.

Not the real Thor. Tony had Reed make a clone of him' date=' complete with energy weapon made to look like Mjolnir.[/quote']

I ought to negative rep you just for saying that! Sadly, it's true.

Here's my question: They had criminals in the Marvel Universe since before I was a kid; never once did Tony Stark and Reed Richards think: "Hey - let's build a prison in the negative zone to store the bad guys." No - they wait until they need to lock up Captain America to build the prison in the Negative Zone.

Someone - please 'splain that to me.

Andy

Well, of my two most recent characters (the only ones I could call 'active'), War Wolf is a robot and has no legal status; as such, he really CAN'T register ... and even if he could, he wouldn't for a variety of reasons.

Quantum Kitsune wouldn't because her dad is rather anti-super himself and is a member in good standing and part of the legal infrastructure of the IHA in the CU. :)

Here's my question: They had criminals in the Marvel Universe since before I was a kid; never once did Tony Stark and Reed Richards think: "Hey - let's build a prison in the negative zone to store the bad guys." No - they wait until they need to lock up Captain America to build the prison in the Negative Zone.

Andy

Oh yeah, that's my crew has been wondering since this thing started.

As I understand it, that event, along with killing one of Spidey's DNPCs were major plot points from the beginning. Joe Q hates happily married superheroes and is screwing up the two that Marvel has. Just like Didio went after the JLI.

*sigh*

And another nut shot for Quesada.

By the way; if I ever go to a comic convention (and that if is getting smaller every year) and either Quesada or Millar are there I will throw something at them.

Hmm. Truman Golightly/Zero would freak and flee the country. He's already upset enough that the government knows who he is, and more so that it wa a teammate that secretly recorded his identity and passed it on.

Vitus D'rhazz ul Kashrak ur R'raschd would consider the implications & events they unfold, and then gleefully sign on, for the oppurtunity to beat the living crap out of 'other' supers, with official backing. Have I mentioned his resentment of those who get their abilities thru mutation or machinery, as opposed to hard work?

Jake the Troll - is Canadian. "Eat my Red-leafed heinie, corporate stooges!" Then, he'd really not do much of anything, because he doesn't do much in the way of superheroing. (He just kinda exists, and things happen around him.) He also doesn't have a secret identity, so he doesn't really care much about that aspect of it.

Shinji Miromoto - is already on the run and also does not have a secret idenity. So, no biggie.

Icon - would go for it in theory, as this was the path she was on already; she was just doing the vigilante thing because there really WASN'T any way to register and get formal training while a teenager. (Her original goal was to do the vigilante thing up through college, then join the FBI team.) In practice, she would probably oppose it on the grounds that it was an unfair draft.

Andy

Actually, Reed originally did build it to imprison supervillains, in the Fantastic Four: Foes miniseries. Some of the enemies caught and imprisoned at that time might still be there, though in a different "wing" from the unregistered hero-types.

I keep seeing mention of leaving the country. This is one of my other problems with this Civil War series. Now I accept that comics are going to be U.S.-centered, it is the primary market for the product. But this current series, from what I've heard, seems to have taken this to an entirely new level, practically ignoring that U.S. law is not international law.

I keep seeing mention of leaving the country. This is one of my other problems with this Civil War series. Now I accept that comics are going to be U.S.-centered' date=' it is the primary market for the product. But this current series, from what I've heard, seems to have taken this to an entirely new level, practically ignoring that U.S. law is not international law.[/quote']

Or the idea that the US would be the only country on the planet dealing with superhero related issues, or that the US would automatically choose the most ridiculous police state choice where every where else would choose to be a bastion of freedom and tolerance.

I fricking hate this, because it lends itself to inflaming anti-American rhetoric and beliefs in many quarters of the gaming/comic reading public.

Just read some X-Men fanfic and you'd see it through out.

TB

The theory makes some sense. The logic is that the New Warriors were untrained and unmonitored. Had they been properly trained, they would not have taken the action they did in Stamford, exposing the civilians to risk.

Police officers, military, medical practitioners, EMT's - they're all registered and subject to training requirements. Shouldn't Supers have similar requirements to prevent risks to the public?

I can see the public buying into the concept, especially when emotions are running high after a recent and well publicized tragedy.

Not that it helps much in this particular case, though. I mean, I thought the issue was going bad places when the fight drifted towards a school yard. . . and then Nitro goes boom so big that it didn't really matter *where* the fight was.

Of course, what really offended me there, is there is the massive outcry against the New Warriors, calls for Speedball's head, calls for mandatory registration and conscription. . .

. . .and not a damn person actually cares about *finding Nitro, the actual killer*, aside from Wolverine. IC, that'd be what tips me off that something reaks.

Andy

No explanation is really possible, aside from the cynical ones ( Reed is insane, and Tony wants an exceedingly destructive means to contain the dangers to his rise to power ). It'd be a really hilariously stupid idea, even for villains, though, because the Negative Zone is, um, Annihilus and Blastaar's territory. It'd be like shining a big bright "Superhuman recruitables, found here! Please bust this place open!" sign.

Admittedly, putting the Sentry on guard duty *might* help, as he's buff enough to keep away the negative zone hostiles. . . except its not clear he could even step foot in the place without the same psychological effects hitting him, and leading to instant Void.

Actually' date=' Reed originally did build it to imprison supervillains, in the Fantastic Four: Foes miniseries. Some of the enemies caught and imprisoned at that time might still be there, though in a different "wing" from the unregistered hero-types.[/quote']

I can't remember, but I thought the prison there was just a stasis jobby. Sure it was actually in the negative zone?

( as an aside, for further mind-boggling, captured super *villains* aren't being treated anywhere near as bad. They get to be bought out and join up in the big ex-villain army, though I think Zemo may have screwed them over. . . )

Or the idea that the US would be the only country on the planet dealing with superhero related issues, or that the US would automatically choose the most ridiculous police state choice where every where else would choose to be a bastion of freedom and tolerance.

I fricking hate this, because it lends itself to inflaming anti-American rhetoric and beliefs in many quarters of the gaming/comic reading public.

Just read some X-Men fanfic and you'd see it through out.

TB

Actually, believe it or not, I don't object anymore on those basic grounds anymore. But then again, thats because I've ceased considering the general populace of Earth Marvel to be human.

There are the superhumans, who choose good or evil. And then you have the psychotically ungrateful and envious general population, who seem less like people and more like minor demons of spite given human form.

Actually, believe it or not, I don't object anymore on those basic grounds anymore. But then again, thats because I've ceased considering the general populace of Earth Marvel to be human.

There are the superhumans, who choose good or evil. And then you have the psychotically ungrateful and envious general population, who seem less like people and more like minor demons of spite given human form.

Sigged.

That breaks down though, when you look at the makeup of the New Warriors, though. They'd been heroes for a long time, and most of the team had worked with the Avengers or Fantastic Four effectively in the past, and at least some of them had been trained. They were among the group of second-string heroes that would have been given a rubber-stamp approval after registering according to this law (except for having been involved in the triggering incident). They didn't even handle the situation badly or unprofessionally -- ok, they had cameramen with them, but otherwise they responded to a situation-in-progress, so they weren't in a position to pick the location, and nobody could have predicted Nitro's power malfunction.

And again with the intelligent remarks concerning Marvel. But then, I've seen the 'Marvel mundanes' as being inhuman monsters for years now.

Rep to you, Metaphysician.

I figure this would either usher in the Steel Age of comics (after Iron Age) or cause massive problems for Marvel itself. Between this and Annihilation we're looking at a major shift in the Marvel Universe they may not be able to fix without pushing the resent button.

(Note: emphasis mine above)

Don't you mean, hit the 'reset' button? After all, for Marvel to have hit the resent button everyone would have to loathe the storyline, and... Uh, maybe you got it right after all.

And to actually answer te question that started this thread:

FenrisUlf might well go with the Pro-Reg guys, so long as they weren't total Nazis or anything. He's privately worried about anti-monster/supernatural types coming after him, and if this would help get him in the good graces of a few more superheroes he'd go for it. (True, he could just go to the 'Mystic World' for help, but dang, those people creep him out.)

Of course, if the Pro-Reg were total fascists, then he'd still join... with the intent of passing info along to whatever resistance there was, and vainly hoping that he wouldn't be forced to choose between friends when the big showdown came.

I keep seeing mention of leaving the country. This is one of my other problems with this Civil War series. Now I accept that comics are going to be U.S.-centered' date=' it is the primary market for the product. But this current series, from what I've heard, seems to have taken this to an entirely new level, practically ignoring that U.S. law is not international law.[/quote']

By no means. Not only did Ben Grimm move to France but the (temporary) replacements for the recently somewhat slaughtered Alpha Flight are going to be expatriate American heroes. The reason why more resisting heroes didn't just relocate is because they just aren't being sensible. Apparently, relocating to a place where the law doesn't apply or obeying the law just isn't heroic enough.

You might want to bear in mind that most of the other countries in the Marvel Universe do not in fact let superheroes range free. Pretty much every Canadian with powers was a member of the Alpha Flight program, or a villain. There were no independants. (And yes, Canada had it's own registration program storyline) Russian superhumans have traditionally fallen into the categories of government operatives or concentration camp resident, and the only vigilante I've seen them using was indeed a hunted fugitive. African superhumans all seem to be bandits and extortionists outside of Wakanda which is a super-led monarchy. All the Japanese heroes we've seen in the Marvel Universe belong to the same government sponsored team. I

You're assuming they're going to deal with it. I'm not sure I have that much faith in them....

Who wants to bet than 12-18 months from now, Marvel Civil War will be completely forgotten by the casual fans and most of the Marvel characters themselves, and probably never mentioned agan? "Hey, Cap, why are you and Tony getting along so well? Didn't he use Clor to kill Goliath?" "Well now son, you just can't live in the past."

After all, who remembers Atlantis Attacks or Tony's 'Armor Wars' or the time when Cap was replaced by John Walker/Super-Patriot/USAgent?