What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

From what I recall of Black Mask' date=' the character is a high-powered Cinematic martial artist... which means he's more of a [i']Dark Champions[/i] character. However, you can have modern day wuxia action. A Man Called Hero, Kung Fu Hustle, Shaolin Soccer, The Matrix, and Vampire Cop Ricky all take place in the (fairly) modern era, ranging from the 1930s to the present day.

Black Mask also had some cyberpunk to it; the main character and his fellow super soldiers were supposedly cyborgs. We don't really see them do much past what other Hong Kong cinematic martial artists do, though. Been a while since I watched it.

Black Mask also had some cyberpunk to it; the main character and his fellow super soldiers were supposedly cyborgs. We don't really see them do much past what other Hong Kong cinematic martial artists do' date=' though. Been a while since I watched it.[/quote']

Make that "a long while" for me.

Black Mask also had some cyberpunk to it; the main character and his fellow super soldiers were supposedly cyborgs. We don't really see them do much past what other Hong Kong cinematic martial artists do' date=' though. Been a while since I watched it.[/quote']

The only thing I recall - it's been a long time - is that early in the movie, they show him watching the soldiers and everything is fake-coloured: suggesting some sort of low light (probably IR) vision. They sort of dropped the cyborg aspects after the first 5 minutes, as far as I remember ....

cheers, Mark

I am on a kick of watching sword fighting flicks. It started when I watched a documentary called Reclaiming the Blade about the history of swords and sword fighting. It was made around the same time as the Lord of the Rings movies, and it has some great interviews with Viggo Mortensen and Karl Urban, as well as the property masters and stuntmen from the movies. John Rhys-Davies does the narration. Thy have great stuff about the history of fencing, and they compare Olympic fencing, Kendo, SCA style recreationists and the more combat oriented folks from HACA and ARMA. The documentary is interesting in and of itself. If you are into this sort of thing, it is definitely worth a viewing. There are some problems with structure and production values for the titles and such, but overall it was fairly well done. Anyway, there is great section about the history of swordsmanship in movies. Many of the movies they mentioned I had seen before, but there were some new ones. Also, there were some I hadn't seen in a long time.

So far, I have watched the old Errol Flynn Robin Hood. I love this movie so much. I still love as much as did when I was a kid watching it on TV in my family's old apartment in New York, and it was fifty years old at that point. I think people will still be watching that movie fifty years from now.

I also started watching the Highlander again. I have already had a weak spot for this movie, but I haven't seen it in maybe ten years. It is eminently silly, but infinitely entertaining. It is dated by the 80s aesthetic, but damn it's just fun to watch. None of it makes any friggin' sense, but after a while you don't care because...sword fighting in 20th century New York..HELLO!! Clancy Brown stole the movie, and that's even with Sean Connery in full on ham mode. Not a great movie, but a very satisfying one.

If you like sword-fighting moves.... take a look at Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, The Princess Bride, The Three (and Four) Musketeers (the ones with Michael York), and (if you can find it) The Blade.

If you like sword-fighting moves.... take a look at Crouching Tiger' date=' Hidden Dragon[/i'], The Princess Bride, The Three (and Four) Musketeers (the ones with Michael York), and (if you can find it) The Blade.

The only one there I haven't seen is The Blade. Who was in it? About when was it made?

The Three and Four Musketeers are great movies. I love that the scripts were done by George MacDonald Fraser, who also did the Flashman books.

The last thing I watched was Radar Men from The Moon.Considering it was made in 1952,the DVD image was crisp and clear,and the sound quality was excellent.If the other DVDs from Rocket are of equal quality (they HAVE produced other DVD's.right?),they are worth purchasing,despite the lack of extras.

As for the serial itself,not so much.While it is exciting and well produced,it's hard to root for somebody as incompetent as Cody.

While he clearly is a brilliant scientist and inventor,he's a lousy fighter and tactician,as he keeps getting beaten up,even while wearing his flying suit.(And what idiot doesn't tie up ,or imprison, his prisoner when he's trying to go back to Earth).

The only one there I haven't seen is The Blade. Who was in it? About when was it made?

The Three and Four Musketeers are great movies. I love that the scripts were done by George MacDonald Frase, who also did the Flashman books.

The Blade is a remake of the film One-Armed Swordsman by Tsui Hark. It's out on DVD, but hard to find.

The Blade is a remake of the film One-Armed Swordsman by Tsui Hark. It's out on DVD' date=' but hard to find.[/quote']

Is that the old Shaw Brother's One armed Swordsman? If so, I might make that a double feature. I've been wanting to see the original for a while. There have been some great re-releases of old Shaw stuff by Dragon Dynasty lately.

Is that the old Shaw Brother's One armed Swordsman? If so' date=' I might make that a double feature. I've been wanting to see the original for a while. There have been some great re-releases of old Shaw stuff by Dragon Dynasty lately.[/quote']

Yes it is. And it's more of a "re-imagining" then a direct remake.

with my latest movies from Netflix due Tuesday, I used their Instant service to watch another Shakespeare film I was interested in: Laurence Olivier's Richard III. Impressively staged, although the staging is somewhat dated. Richard takes the audience into his confidence early on, revealing only by little steps just how monstrous he really is. This immediately reminded me of House of Cards and its legendary villain Francis Urqhart.

The introductory titles to the movie state that it is based more on the "legend" of Richard than on his true history. Just what that history is has long been in dispute among historians.

I watched Witch Hunt on MSNBC. It was about how child protective services and the Bakersfield DA botched the investigation of what they believed was a child molestation ring. Yes, I believe most cops and DAs are honest, but it just shows how far even "honest" ones can go to achieve a conviction when they believe they are in the right despite evidence to the contrary.

I also watched Doughgirls (1944) on TCM. I must say, Jane Wyman was such a cutie!

The Bible: A History and Mo, the Mo Mowlam Story, both on Channel 4. The first is an examination of the Bible by such people as journalists Howard Jacobson (a Jew) and Raageh Omar (a Muslim), MP Ann Widdacombe (who'll be arguing about the Ten Commandments with Stephen Fry!) and Gerry Adams about what the Bible means to them.

"Mo" was an excellent performance by Julie Walters as Northen Ireland Secretary Mo Mowlam who negoiated the Good Friday Agreement, despite having a brain tumour. The last twenty minutes I missed because I couldn't bear to watch her disintegrate from the brave, determined, charismatic figure she had been to a pale, invalidish shadow of her former self.