What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

The Testament of Dr. Mabuse was the last german-language film of expressionist director Fritz Lang. Shot in 1932, it was banned by the Nazis (it was scheduled to come out just after they came to power), but despite the discomfort it caused them it impressed Joseph Goebbels enough that he invited Lang to join the Propaganda Ministry as its director fo film. Within the week, Lang had fled Germany never to return.

In the movie, police inspector Karl Lohmann (the detective in M) finds himself investigating two seemingly unrelated crimes -- an assault on a former officer that left him mad from terror and the murder of a psychiatrist on the streets of Berlin -- and finds that they may both be connected to Dr. Mabuse, an insane criminal genius locked in a mental institution. Mabuse had emerged from catatonia enough to start writing, and his "babbling" includes detailed instructions on how to commit near-perfect crimes. At the same time, an ex-convict has found himself in too deep in a criminal organization led by a mysterious mastermind calling himself Mabuse.

To figure out why the Nazis found the movie so uncomfortable, you have to remember the methods by which they came to power.

Magicians, with David Mitchell & Robert Webb. This was good. Worth renting or watching on YouTube. Also stars some of the comedians from Spaced (the crew that went on to do Hot Fuzz, Shaun of the Dead, etc). A low key comedy, with a few familiar Mitchell & Webb bits and themes worked pretty smoothly into a film about failure and attempted redemption.

Tonight, it was "Moon", which I'd highly recommend for those who haven't seen it. Reminded me of "2001" in a couple of places (with a twist).

Last night, it was "Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs" at the cheap theaters, which was just a really fun film.

And a few nights ago, it was "District 9", another great Sci-Fi flick from 2009.

JoeG

I tried watching the Rankin and Bass Return of the King. I lasted litter more than five minutes.

It's got some catchy tunes in it, tho.... :D

rewatched both Heavy Metal and Wizards last night.

I'd forgotten how Sean, the Mountain Faerie Lord, just punks Avatar in midconjuration.

All in all, some enjoyable High Post Apocalypse animation

It's got some catchy tunes in it, tho.... :D

rewatched both Heavy Metal and Wizards last night.

I'd forgotten how Sean, the Mountain Faerie Lord, just punks Avatar in midconjuration.

All in all, some enjoyable High Post Apocalypse animation

Yeah, "Where There's A Whip" is actually kind of a cool song.

Hmm... I own Heavy Metal, but not Wizards. I need to correct that.

Just watched the 1964 film about the Invasion of Normandy, The Longest Day. It is spectacular, I will give it that.

However, it was dramatically unsatisfying. The movie sets up literally dozens of plots and characters who would be the focus of any other movie. Then it lets most of them drop, to the point that no one star gets more than ten minutes (at most) of screen time. And this is not enough screen time for any of the characters to matter to the viewer. Even John Wayne, playing a character who would (in typical John Wayne fashion) take over any other movie, gets far too little screen time. Then, after two-and-a-half hours and several impressive bits of filmed combat, the movie simply ends. No denouement, no climax -- it just ends.

There have been other films about Normandy that are more satisfying, largely because they focus on a few characters and a single story.

I watched: Bubba Hotep. entertaining at times, but... Sorry, the references to his "problem" were overdone, unnecessary, and disgusting.

I wonder if they will do the sequel?

Also finally watched "Star Trek" I won't rave about it the way some of my friends did, but it was damned good.

minor problems.

most of cast too young and too good looking

(particularly as they are supposed to be Academy Cadets, put in as the command staff of the new FLAGSHIP of the FLEET?)

level of genocidal violence that shocked me, a little.

I kept thinking of "Sylar" CRINGE!

I didn't realize until the next day when I was discussing the movie with a friend what was, imo, probably the BEST CHANGE!!!

Kirk was actually COMPETENT! Brilliant even! Rather than having 6 dice of luck, a seduction skill of 21-, and a willingness to cheat, he was literally a genius. The kind of guy who COULD get through an Academy in 3/4 normal time, and make a reputation for himself. better writers, I guess. ;)

I didn't realize until the next day when I was discussing the movie with a friend what was, imo, probably the BEST CHANGE!!!

Kirk was actually COMPETENT! Brilliant even! Rather than having 6 dice of luck, a seduction skill of 21-, and a willingness to cheat, he was literally a genius. The kind of guy who COULD get through an Academy in 3/4 normal time, and make a reputation for himself. better writers, I guess. ;)

I'm sure you are being a little facetious, but just in case I'll say that it really isn't a change. Kirk was always stated to be "a walking stack of books" or some such in the old series. I think that years of bad Shatner imitations and green babe jokes have caused people to forget that part of the Kirk mythos. I remember several moments in the old series where Kirk pulls out some great stuff: great submarine tactics in "Balance of Terror", using reverse psychology on Spock in "The City on the Edge of Forever" (which the actually touched on again in the new movie), that kind of thing. I was just re-watching some of those episodes, so they are fresh in my mind.

They should have made it less obvious in Star Trek that Kirk had rewritten the code to allow him to beat the Kobyashi Maru scenario. It comes off as petulant in the film how and why he does it.

Just finished Death Race 2000 and Team America World Police. The former is really good considering the budget. The latter is wonderfully vulger.

I'm sure you are being a little facetious' date=' but just in case I'll say that it really isn't a change. Kirk was always stated to be "a walking stack of books" or some such in the old series. I think that years of bad Shatner imitations and green babe jokes have caused people to forget that part of the Kirk mythos. I remember several moments in the old series where Kirk pulls out some great stuff: great submarine tactics in "Balance of Terror", using reverse psychology on Spock in "The City on the Edge of Forever" (which the actually touched on again in the new movie), that kind of thing. I was just re-watching some of those episodes, so the are fresh in my mind.[/quote']

And who could forget his great ability to pull off bluffs and tricks? Corbomite was an absolute gem of an idea. When Kirk was on a mission, the chances of the bulk of the crew coming out alive doubled because he was endlessly resourceful and cunning.