What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

Yeah, "Where There's A Whip" is actually kind of a cool song.

Hmm... I own Heavy Metal, but not Wizards. I need to correct that.

I used to be obsessed with Heavy Metal. I think I watched it about ten times growing up. I tried to watch it the other day, and I was slightly disappointed in it. I guess nostalgia went a long way to making it seem much better than it actually was to me. That being said, John Candy's voice work in the Den portion of the film is still very funny. Overall, it is still an enjoyable flick.

I used to be obsessed with Heavy Metal. I think I watched it about ten times growing up. I tried to watch it the other day' date=' and I was slightly disappointed in it. I guess nostalgia went a long way to making it seem much better than it actually was to me. That being said, John Candy's voice work in the Den portion of the film is still very funny. Overall, it is still an enjoyable flick.[/quote']

Well, the DVD was something like $7.50, so.... And it's fun, in a cheesy 80s kind of way.

But let's not talk about Heavy Metal 2000.... I saw it for free and still wanted my money back.

And who could forget his great ability to pull off bluffs and tricks? Corbomite was an absolute gem of an idea. When Kirk was on a mission' date=' the chances of the bulk of the crew coming out alive doubled because he was endlessly resourceful and cunning.[/quote']

Tell that to the red-shirts. :eg:

I watched Me and the Colonel with Danny Kaye. This is possibly the first Danny Kaye movie I've ever seen that wasn't a showcase for his talent rather than an actual story.

Return to Witch Mountain-Sequel to Disney's own Escape From Witch Mountain. Though the effects may seem dated, it's remarkable the effects they did produce without any sort of computer generated trickery. Christopher Lee and Betty Davis add a touch of class to the production and they play off of each other wonderfully.

Kolchak the Night Stalker Episode 2...the Zombie- Pretty good episode, but I'm amazed they got away with some of the racial slurs in this one. Brief cameo by Scatman Crothers(sp?). Decent makeup work for the zombie...a bit far fetched when they suggest this walking corpse simply takes a bus back to its resting place, but otherwise...good stuff.

I'm sure you are being a little facetious' date=' but just in case I'll say that it really isn't a change. Kirk was always stated to be "a walking stack of books" or some such in the old series. I think that years of bad Shatner imitations and green babe jokes have caused people to forget that part of the Kirk mythos. I remember several moments in the old series where Kirk pulls out some great stuff: great submarine tactics in "Balance of Terror", using reverse psychology on Spock in "The City on the Edge of Forever" (which the actually touched on again in the new movie), that kind of thing. I was just re-watching some of those episodes, so they are fresh in my mind.[/quote']

ALL:Okay, maybe he was better than I remember. Memory implied that even his bluffs were as much luck as anything else, though FIzzgig was pretty funny.

ALL:Okay' date=' maybe he was better than I remember. Memory implied that even his bluffs were as much luck as anything else, though FIzzgig was pretty funny.[/quote']

I think that you mean Fizzbin, the card game mentioned in "A Piece of the Action", as Fizzgig would be the toothy ball who accompanies the Gelfling Kira in The Dark Crystal.

Back to the subject of the thread, we went and saw Where the Wild Things Are last night at the cheap theaters. It would have made a great 1 hour TV special (45 minutes with commercials), but as a feature film, it just dragged. And Max really needed either Ritalin, a spanking, or both.

JoeG

I think that you mean Fizzbin' date=' the card game mentioned in "A Piece of the Action", as Fizzgig would be the toothy ball who accompanies the Gelfling Kira in [i']The Dark Crystal[/i].

Back to the subject of the thread, we went and saw Where the Wild Things Are last night at the cheap theaters. It would have made a great 1 hour TV special (45 minutes with commercials), but as a feature film, it just dragged. And Max really needed either Ritalin, a spanking, or both.

Max really needs a stable home.

I think that you mean Fizzbin' date=' the card game mentioned in "A Piece of the Action", as Fizzgig would be the toothy ball who accompanies the Gelfling Kira in [i']The Dark Crystal[/i].

JoeG

I knew it was one of those fizz-words! I don't think I have seen the episode for at least 15 years.

Max really needs a stable home.

While we are talking about Max's home life, when did Katherine Keener become the default film MILF? She has played that part like how many dozens of times in the last few years. Hell, it seems like she's been cast that way ever 40-Year-Old Virgin.

Important point: the acronym "MILF" is not in your spell check. I felt that it was important to add it, as should you. I know it seems to come up a lot in my conversations.

My most recent Netflix rental was War and Peace. This was the 1956 version, featuring Henry Fonda, Audrey Hepburn and John Mills. The film runs for nearly four hours, so I split my viewing over two nights.

War and Peace is considered the greatest novel ever written in the Russian language. Any film version, even a four-hour one, is likely to play like a Cliff's Notes summation. Yet despite its length it's a very entertaining movie. The movie is very tightly focused on three characters: a young nobleman trying to find his place in the world (Fonda), the soldier who is his best friend (Mills), and the social butterfly of a young woman with whom both are connected (Hepburn). Their struggles, joys and lives play out over the course of eight years against the backdrop of the Napoleonic Wars, at first distant but suddenly coming very close to home when Russia herself is invaded. (The leaders play important supporting roles, with Herbert Lom shining as Napoleon).

Although not everyone will have the patience for a movie of this length, I considered it a very worthwhile viewing. Although it would probably take me months to read the book....