What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

Chop Shop: The first episode of the series (their project car catches fire and is destroyed).

Mythbusters: The episode where they try to bank-shot a pistol round back to the shooter.

&

The Goode Family: the "Pleatherheads" episode. Adopted son Ubuntu sucks at just about everything until he's given an opportunity to play HS (american) football. Hilarity ensues.

Having recently watched the animated version of The Hobbit' date=' I watched Ralph Bashki's animated [i']The Lord of the Rings[/i]. It was... special.

There's a certain dark tone that Bakshi's sometimes pulls off that I like, but overall it is mediocre at best.

I do wonder how it would be viewed had he been able to make the second part.

As for me, the most recent movies I've watched are Fist of Fury and Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

Dexter Season 4. I can only say that, for the first time since the show started, I am not really looking forward to the next season. So much progress wasted with about 90 seconds of film. The titular character is still my hero, but the persons of questionable heritage that made some of the creative decisions need to be tasered repeatedly.

Why in the name of Magoomba did they feel the need to kill off Rita. She was the perfect foil for Dexter's "dark passenger" and made for some potentially cool conflict within the series. Sure they spent too much time dwelling on the whole trust issue/counseling thing, but with a good writer, Rita would have shined.

On a positive note, Deb's discovery of Dexter's true identity makes for some potential. The actress can really turn on the hysterics when she wants to. I was pretty impressed with the episode where she is dealing with Lundy's death.

Not looking forward to the resolution with the kids. I heard from a friend that Rita's mother is going to seek custody, thereby creating one of the sub-plots of the next season. I truly hope not. Either start the season with Cody and Astor in the mother-in-laws custody or just don't go there. Personally I think the challenge of not feeling empathy and trying to raise the kids might be the only hope this show has left.

Yeah. As soon as I found out about that plot point, I gave up on really ever wanting to watch the show again. I actually skipped last season because I hated Jimmy Smitts. I only started watching again becasue I was fascinated by John Lithgow's character. Too bad. The first two seasons rocked.

I just watched an English series called Ultraviolet from the late 90s. If you can get your hands on it, I recommend it. I can only describe it as Van Helsing meets The X-Files with a liberal dose of Spooks (MI-5 to Americans) thrown in. Here's the set-up: Vampires exist and the top levels of the government and the Catholic Church know about it. The heroes are assigned to a special MI-5-like team that investigate suspected vampire activity and terminate the bloodsuckers when they catch them.

They play down the supernatural aspects for the most part, and use high tech to deal with the problem. An example is that since vampires can't be seen by electronic devices, they use small video camera gun sights to differentiate between humans and vampires. The bullets are hardened wood or carbon. Both sides have some neat tricks, and the storyline takes you places you wouldn't expect. One episode combines a pedophile henchman with a vampire child to just creep the hell out of you.

http://www.amazon.com/Ultraviolet-Susannah-Harker/dp/B00005KA70/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1262857397&sr=8-4

Yeah. As soon as I found out about that plot point' date=' I gave up on really ever wanting to watch the show again. I actually skipped last season because I hated Jimmy Smitts. I only started watching again becasue I was fascinated by John Lithgow's character. Too bad. The first two seasons rocked.[/quote']Season 3, as a whole, was just way too annoying. I think most of it is that we (the audience) knew exactly where the whole Miguel Prada storyline was going to end up. I watched Season 3 entirely for the sub-plots. They were way more interesting than the main one.

Season 4, on the other hand, was very interesting when taken as a whole. I just think they ended it on a real bad note. I didn't see the interview myself, but a friend told me it was all done as an excuse to "ramp things up." Seriously folks, if you feel the need to "ramp things up," take a step back and look long and hard at your creative work. It's like killing characters in comic books for the "shock" factor. Even if you've mopped (written) yourself into a corner, try to find a way to mop up the footprints. Don't burn down the kitchen and start over.

Just got back from seeing The Fantastic Mr. Fox, Wes Anderson's stop- motion animated film based on the Roald Dahl novel. 2009 has been a good year for animation with films like Coraline, Up and Ponyo all coming out last year.

That said, Mr. Fox is not quite as good as any of those films. Anderson is not an animator by trade, and the film has a jerky quality to it that makes it look like it was made very quickly (in months as opposed to the years Coraline took, but stop-motion takes a lot of time to get right). There are parts of the film that look very unnatural -- as I mentioned, the movement of characters is often jerky and non-fluid and the eyes are odd (and the movie pays a lot of attention to the eyes). As far as the story, Anderson is a master of quirk and this is a very quirky movie.

It is a very English film in which few characters sound English. George Clooney's Mr. Fox sounds like any of the many charming rogues he has played before, and the story resembles his Ocean's Eleven in that he plays a famous thief in retirement who can't resist that one last big caper and leads his family and everyone around him into near-unimaginable disaster. I have read the novel, and in the novel Mr. Fox did not bring his troubles onto himself in this manner. What is more, he never seems to learn that knowing charm is little use against guns and dogs.

On the upside, the adventures of Mr. Fox are exciting to watch, there are some very good set pieces (the cricket-like game using a flaming pine-cone as the ball in particular is an amusing bit), and Willem Dafoe does a wicked turn as a malicious, traitorous rat. The farmers are suitably monstrous, eccentric and dangerous. The new character of Kristofferson, who unknowingly sparks a crisis of confidence in Fox's son by being so good at everything he attempts, is interesting in his own right

Overall I'd give it three stars out of five. It's a nice little movie, but it could have been much nicer in more skilled technical hands. I can't help but wonder what Nick Park would have done with this material.

Something classical yet profoundly unPC.

Tarzan the Apeman, Tarzan and his Mate and Tarzan Escapes ! all with the best Tarzan and Jane combo Weissmuller and O'Sullivan. Also has the infamous nude swim in Tarzan and his Mate and a lack of costume on Jane that many especially the Bunny amongst us will find appealing.

The last two things I've seen were as follows:the sci-fi puppet show Star Fleet,created by the legendary Go Nagai,and the Bert I. Gordon film The Magic Sword.

The best of the two was the Star Fleet TV series.Inspired by Star Wars,Thunderbirds ,and Japanese anime,this was probably one of my favourite TV shows when I was a teenager,and it didn't let me down when I watched it again.The adventures of the X-Bomber crew,as they fight against the evil Imperial Alliance,with the frequent use of Dai-X (three fighters which combine into one giant robot) are as exiting as ever.The DVD set also has several extras,including where Go Nagai goes into the history of the show.As he apparently only speaks Japanese,he's given yellow subtitles,which tend to blend in with the background slightly.

As for the Magic Sword,this was the best of his film's I've yet seen.Not only because it was in colour,but because of who Mr. B.I.G got to play the villain - Basil Rathbone!

And I liked the two-headed dragon as well.

I've been streaming Farscape on Netflix. Finished Seasons 1-3, waiting for 4.

The first season was a little weak, but after that they got better writers and played down some of the stupid weaknesses the alien races were given in the first season. Honestly an alien species who, when they get cut, has to have someone around to make them bleed MORE or they die is not going to make it as a warrior race. Also there's an entire species you can defeat just by turning the heat up, and they are the other 'warrior' aliens. :)

My Neighbour Totoro -- Hayao Miyazaki proves why he's the master of the all-ages animated film. Although I don't like all of his films (I think he did a terrible job on Howl's Moving Castle), I'm more than happy to give anything with his name on it a try.

My Neighbour Totoro -- Hayao Miyazaki proves why he's the master of the all-ages animated film. Although I don't like all of his films (I think he did a terrible job on Howl's Moving Castle)' date=' I'm more than happy to give anything with his name on it a try.[/quote']

I don't think anyone has tapped into primal childhood, in all its wonders and terrors, quite as well as Miyazaki did in this film.