What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

OzMike, anything good on the news?

recently I watched Lara Croft: Tomb Raider. Watching the special features on the DVD made me admire the production and Jolie even more. The bungi ballet was all done by Jolie, and the end scene is real, they went to Iceland to film it. The contraption at the end also is real, and if you wen't looking what you were doing you really could have been cut it too.

Anything good on the news? Not really, except for the guy who was swallowed head first by a white pointer shark and escaped by poking it in the eye. Awesome :eek:

I also watched NCIS with my wife.

Anything good on the news? Not really' date=' except for the guy who was swallowed head first by a white pointer shark and escaped by poking it in the eye. Awesome :eek: [/quote']I bet the shark didn't see that coming. :D

Ouch.

Sasami - Mahou Shoujo Club. The newest Tenchiverse series, which has Sasami as a witch ala Ojamaho Doremi rather than the Pretty Sammy identity. She has the power to use magical telekensis to manipulate objects (such as cooking utensils). it also features Washu (as a weird school nurse) and the glorious return of Mihoshi-sensei (how could any woman who works with children get all the way to work without realizing she's not wearing a skirt? easy -- she's Mihoshi!). Looks like fun, especially since Magical Project S (aka Pretty Sammy TV) is a personal favorite of mine from the '90s.

Also watching some Powerpuff Girls Z (sure, it's weird for an American PPG fan, but darn it's funny!).

Recently re=watched the Protector and Fearless, back to back, in the company of SatinKitty and M (a member of my gaming group who has trained under one of Jet Li's teachers). Very interesting experience.

Still enjoyed the Protector, great martial arts and stunt-work, terrible script, a B-movie that MST3K would significantly improve. I saw the film's point of view, like Ong Bok's, as provincial and xenophobic, but still enjoyed it. M found the script offensively racist. SK liked Ong Bok, but was bored through most of the Protector.

Appreciated Fearless even more. Great Kung Fu, excellent stunt work, and even the Western martial artists were quite good. Set design was well handled, good costumes and cinematography. Overall an excellent film. Also, very unlike the first film of the evening, Fearless made a point of giving respect to the foreign fighters and even some of the foreign business people. Huge breaks with history, but what do you expect from a martial arts pic. M enjoyed the heck out of it, even if he did spend half of every fight scene criticizing technique (very typical gamer behavior). SK also had a great time, and was interested througout.

Epic movie - avoid it like the plague. The trailer has the only funny bits in it.

Those bits were funny?

Oh... and last night my wife and I watched the documentary Blue Eyes: Indecently Exposed which took the Blue Eyes project and lady (Jane somebody) to Canada to deal with racism and the First Nation peoples. Awesome.

Then we watched NCIS.

Tonight we watched Episode 1 of Heroes. Awesomely awesome. But now my wife is in a quandry - she also loves House which is going to be screened on a different channel at the same time. And no - we don't have a method for recording one and watching the other.

My vote is with Heroes and I think hers is too, but it will be a hard chouce. She really loves House.

Really.

Really loves.

House.

But I think we'll end up watching Heroes.

Still enjoyed the Protector' date=' great martial arts and stunt-work, terrible script, a B-movie that MST3K would significantly improve. I saw the film's point of view, like Ong Bok's, as provincial and xenophobic, but still enjoyed it. M found the script offensively racist. SK liked Ong Bok, but was bored through most of the Protector.[/quote']

I must have missed something, I saw nothing offensive about the script. I do agree that noth Ong Bak and the Protector tend to romanticize the provincial life, and somewhat demonize city life (and expats). I thought (and still think) the script was a bit out there. After watching the special features I appreciate it more as they talk about the importance of elephants in Thai culture, but I still find the story a stretch.

Also, very unlike the first film of the evening, Fearless made a point of giving respect to the foreign fighters and even some of the foreign business people.

I agree that Fearless did a good job of making everyone look good. Jet Li's character was heroic not because he was the only good person in the movie, but because he set the bar higher for the other fighers and heroes of the flim.

Appreciated Fearless even more. Great Kung Fu' date=' excellent stunt work, and even the Western martial artists were quite good. Set design was well handled, good costumes and cinematography. Overall an excellent film. Also, very unlike the first film of the evening, Fearless made a point of giving respect to the foreign fighters and even some of the foreign business people. Huge breaks with history, but what do you expect from a martial arts pic. M enjoyed the heck out of it, even if he did spend half of every fight scene criticizing technique (very typical gamer behavior). SK also had a great time, and was interested througout.[/quote']

One of my upcoming film fests will be a double feature of Fist of Legend and Fearless.

I must have missed something, I saw nothing offensive about the script. I do agree that noth Ong Bak and the Protector tend to romanticize the provincial life, and somewhat demonize city life (and expats). I thought (and still think) the script was a bit out there. After watching the special features I appreciate it more as they talk about the importance of elephants in Thai culture, but I still find the story a stretch.

Your comfort levels, mine and M's are going to be different. :)

I thought that the message of the Protector and Ong Bok was pretty solidly anti-Urban, anti-modernization and anti-internationalist. "Only Thai country people are Good; Thais who live in the cities are corrupt, but those who were born in the country can be redeemed if reminded of their roots. Foreigners are always Evil." This didn't bug me; it made for an interesting contrast to similar Hong Kong films. In HK pictures, the country bumpkin goes to the big city, proves that country strength of arm and character count for something, and wins his place in the modern world, getting the girl and maybe some wealth along the way. In Jaa's films, the country hero goes into the Hell of the modern world, recovers that which was stolen, and retreats again to the village having shown Thai people how a True Man should live. Similar pattern, very different message.

M took things more personally. His actual comments were on the lines of "Only Tony Jaa is Good; other Thais are useless or criminals, and foreigners are incompetent monsters!"

I pointed out that Jaa's family and other Thais inspired by Jaa's example stepped up and behaved heroically, but otherwise I can see his point.

All of that said, they're still fun B movies, especially if you have an interest in Martial Arts or Thai culture.

DOH! Until you said that' date=' I'd forgotten the two were related.[/quote']

Great pics, Fearless the story of the great teacher, Fist of Legend the story of the vengeance taken by his disciple. Both pics staring excellent actors and fantastic martial artists; you couldn't ask for a better evening. :)

M took things more personally. His actual comments were on the lines of "Only Tony Jaa is Good; other Thais are useless or criminals' date=' and foreigners are incompetent monsters!" [/quote']

I think Ong Bak had a much stronger message of pastoral purity vs. city corruption. I can see in Ong Bak, Humlae was there only to 'corrupt' Jaa's character (trying to get him to fight in the matches), and when he did have a change of heart he was only able to make a small difference (but he did sacrifice himself). In "The Protector" Mark was Thai, a good cop, did things right and made an impact in the end. On the other hand, the movies focus on one man's fight against a criminal organization, and in two hours you don't have a lot of time to ask the normal joe on the street how the city has corrupted his soul.

As for only "Tony Jaa is Good," I feel that was more a staple of the action genre. In Die Hard (1 & 2) Bruce Willis was the only person that did anything right, while fighting a stagnant and incompetent police force. In Lethal Weapon(s) Mel Gibson is uber-compentent, and everyone else is there to clap him on the shoulder when he does something that is obviously illegal, but gets the job done. In Schwarzenegger movies...well, you get the picture. :) I think having one uber-competent individual against scores criminals is pretty standard. The plucky comic relief sidekick is such a staple, that many people make fun of a person being the plucky comic relief sidekick. Usually the comic relief comes in the incompetence of the sidekick in relation to the protaganists.

I don't mean to beat a horse, especially as he is not here to argue his point of view. He is entitled to his opinion, but that is how I view the objections. :)

Tonight we watched Episode 1 of Heroes. Awesomely awesome. But now my wife is in a quandry - she also loves House which is going to be screened on a different channel at the same time. And no - we don't have a method for recording one and watching the other.

I know in the US, they were (still are?) replaying Heroes episodes later on other channels - don't know if they do that in your neck of the woods, might be worth poking around for.

Or just watch one now, catch the other in reruns of course.

I know in the US, they were (still are?) replaying Heroes episodes later on other channels - don't know if they do that in your neck of the woods, might be worth poking around for.

Or just watch one now, catch the other in reruns of course.

Well after Heroes they said they'd show an "encore" presentation at 10:30 the following Tuesday (next one - Heroes screens on Wednesday nights here on free-to-air) but I don't know if they're going to do that with all of the episodes. And as for re-runs, down here in Oz they're not that common unless they're a) Seinfeld B) Everybody Loves Raymond c) The Simpsons d) various children's TV shows or e) shown really late at night (or even in the early morning).

I think that Heroes also shows on NBC.com

As far as current watchings: Clerks II, Amityville Horror (remake), MoH: Homecoming. Ruby in the Smoke is currently playing and I'm half watching it ...