What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

Brave. Fun movie' date=' but I think a bit much for the boy (which is why The Wife and I watched it first)[/quote']

A girl would possibly be more into it -- mother-daughter issues are if anything the overweening theme of the film. With each of them having valid reasons for what they do and both being deeply flawed.

A girl would possibly be more into it -- mother-daughter issues are if anything the overweening theme of the film. With each of them having valid reasons for what they do and both being deeply flawed.

One of the big issues in selecting movies for The Boy (who is six) is that he hasn't figured out that it will all work out OK in the end. Well, at least for any movie he is going to watch for the next decade. Brave has bad things happen to characters, and not just for a short while. And they get worse. And don't get resolved until the very end.

He did watch despicable me this afternoon. The only problem he had was when the girls got sent back for a bit.

Expendables 2. - Pretty much the same thing as the first. I was looking for that recipe and the second helping was just as satisfying.

Still hooked on Arrow, Burn Notice, Castle and a couple of other shows. It was nice to see a Supernatural episode that was not clouded over with Sam and Dean arguing during most of the episode. Almost makes me have hope for the rest of the season. Tried out The Following. While I enjoyed the pilot, I am not sure that I can sustain interest in the long-term. Dropped Once Upon a Time. I used to like the show, but I am getting a case of "same old, same old."

Finished up Merlin season 3 & 4. In a lot of ways it is a goofy show. I still like it though. Looking forward to season 5, though I hear that is going to be the last one.

What I liked about Brave was less the obvious mother-daughter storyline but how that storyline is just a general parent-child issue. Parents want the best for their kids and love them but show it in ways that their children (even as adults) sometimes can't see at that moment, but can only appreciate much later. That Brave showed both points of view is a testament to it.

Finished up Merlin season 3 & 4. In a lot of ways it is a goofy show. I still like it though. Looking forward to season 5, though I hear that is going to be the last one.

yes series 5 is the last for Merlin. No spoilers though, you'll just have to watch. :)

Neither. "Twist my arm" is a colloquialism around these parts for making a mock protest about having to do something you are likely to want to do anyway. Sort of like the Brer Rabbit saying "No! Don't throw me into that briar patch!" when that is exactly what he wants.

yeah, please no spoilers. I have really enjoyed the show and the growth and maturity of Arthur (and I believe the actor does a great job, as do most in the cast) from spoiled arrogant prince to a King worthy of following is really the central part of the show, and well done. Only problem I have ever had with the show is that Morgana going from ally to enemy seemed a little forced, especially her enmity toward Arthur as opposed to his/her father.

Neither. "Twist my arm" is a colloquialism around these parts for making a mock protest about having to do something you are likely to want to do anyway. Sort of like the Brer Rabbit saying "No! Don't throw me into that briar patch!" when that is exactly what he wants.
I did write a reply but the Internet swallowed it. :(

yeah' date=' please no spoilers. I have really enjoyed the show and the growth and maturity of Arthur (and I believe the actor does a great job, as do most in the cast) from spoiled arrogant prince to a King worthy of following is really the central part of the show, and well done. Only problem I have ever had with the show is that Morgana going from ally to enemy seemed a little forced, especially her enmity toward Arthur as opposed to his/her father.[/quote'] Okay, I won't retype my reply to Nolgroth.

And I can see your point of view regarding Morgana's side-switch (and to a degree share it). To offer a comment, she has shown that she feels the kingdom is hers and is willing to go after it, Arthur is now just in her way...

Let's see...

Conan the Barbarian

Clash of the Titans

Wrath of the Titans

Immortals

Those are some bad movies and I assume that the first two are the modern reworks not the Arnold classic and the Harryhousen classic.

Finished Dredd. Excellednt ! I remember when Dredd started in the comic and this portrayal is what he should be.

Lawless. Not bad. Despite Shia la Bouef.

Those are some bad movies and I assume that the first two are the modern reworks not the Arnold classic and the Harryhousen classic.

Well, I got what I paid for with these films. And yes, these are all the modern re-makes.

The red headed stepchild of the franchise' date=' Predator 2[/quote']Hey I like Predator 2! Not only was it a fun movie, there were lots of quotes from it. Many we mangled for gaming purposes. King Willy was my favorite.

"You don't see da eyes of the GM, til him come rollin' for ya."

"Always da same." (rueful voice, rolls some dice) "Always da same." (TPK follows soon after)

(Distorted child voice) "Want some candy?" (usually after a failed roll or other bad situation)

(Weary sigh) Alright. Who's next? (almost always when the characters are beat down already and the GM springs that last encounter)

Immortals. Meh, much better Greek-Hero movies out there.

Deep Rising. A classic cheesy horror movie. A number of lines from it have made their way into our gameing quotes.

"If the cash is there, we do not care."

Well worth watching.