You practice what-o-mancy?

mayapuppies

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: You practice what-o-mancy?

If Talismancy is about talismans' date=' what do you call magic based on the use of the Talis (fringed prayer shawl used by Jews)?[/quote']Hmmm.... I'd forgotten about that particular word. It gives me a rather twisted idea (linguistically speaking) for a Jewish superhero named Talisman. :D

There's also plutomancy, magic based on having and not spending money; cliomancy, creating truth through lies; epideromancy, body-improving magic through self-injury; personamancy, manipulating identity by proving it's an illusion; and irascimancy, suffering others' rage to inflict it on others.

It also has my favorite name for a school of magic, though it's not a -mancy: A Grammarian Gate, or anagram gematria, which someone already mentioned upthread.

During a discussion of Divinational techniques (I get involved in weird conversations) someone misheard the word "Rabdomancy" (divining the future by examining random passages in a book) thought someone said "Rabidomancy". We decided that Rabidomancy was divining the future by throwing children into a pit of angry wolves. Although, it seems more like a form of entertainment than precognition.

During a discussion of Divinational techniques (I get involved in weird conversations) someone misheard the word "Rabdomancy" (divining the future by examining random passages in a book) thought someone said "Rabidomancy". We decided that Rabidomancy was divining the future by throwing children into a pit of angry wolves. Although' date=' it seems more like a form of entertainment than precognition.[/quote']

I believe what you're referring to is bibliomancy.

Rabdomancy (var. rhabdomancy) refers to divinination by means of rods. I know the word is used for "dowsing" (the popularly known means of finding water by means of a forked stick) and I think it also may refer to other mantic uses of wands or sticks, such as casting runesticks or the traditional yarrow stalk method of consulting the I Ching (although now I think of it, the I Ching is also bibliomancy)

You might be confusing it with rhapsodomancy, a special case of bibliomancy in which a book of verse is consulted.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary says that to query Lucius Alexander upon any matter is to practice pedantomancy...

pps (post palindromedary stuff) edited so Lucius Alexander could wax even more pedantic

Regimancy - Divining the future from the actions (or entrails) of Kings

Blasphomancy - I remember seeing this somewhere on this board, and it just sounded too cool! I want to be a Blasphomancer! #@$&*!!!!

Pyromancer - Sounds much cooler than Fire Wizard or Elementalist

-Cratermaker