Best Mystic comic/character ever?

FenrisUlf

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Best Mystic comic/character ever?

I like a lot of them, but at the top of the list remains:

Doctor Strange, arrogant surgeon falls, seeks to reclaim his gifted hands, and , when he realizes how small his little ambitions are, takes a step to save an old man and stop an evil... and finds enlightenment and redemption.

The Doc rocks.

I also loved the first year or two of the The Blue Devil. The "Weirdness Magnet" angle was great :)

Say, wasn;t Blue Devil originally a guy stuck inside a suit of power armor just made to look like a demon or the like? And then later he actually became a demon? I get the idea that his personal history is confusing.

And I don't know why, but now I'm getting the idea for a crossover starring Hellboy, the Son of Satan/Hellstrom, and Blue Devil. All three can hang out in a bar, knock back a few brews, and compare their origins.

Well, I could see Hellboy and Blue Devil doing that, anyway...

And thanks for all the help here! You're giving me a lot of info and leads on stuff to look for. BTW, if Jack Russell/Werewolf by Night is a mystic character, then does Man-Wolf also count? They're both werewolves, after all.

Say' date=' wasn;t Blue Devil originally a guy stuck inside a suit of power armor just made to [i']look[/i] like a demon or the like? And then later he actually became a demon? I get the idea that his personal history is confusing.

Yup, he was fused into the suit by a REAL Demon's energies. Dan Cassidy, stunt man and tech, ended up with with his exosuit made for a movie fused to his flesh and his 'gear' suddenly exhibiting some odd mystic effects beyond ;)

However, after his original series things got grim and I lost interest in the character. So for more details on that, you might check here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Devil

I get mixed reviews on Shadowpact, but he's appearing in it now.

Yup, he was fused into the suit by a REAL Demon's energies. Dan Cassidy, stunt man and tech, ended up with with his exosuit made for a movie fused to his flesh and his 'gear' suddenly exhibiting some odd mystic effects beyond ;)

However, after his original series things got grim and I lost interest in the character. So for more details on that, you might check here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Devil

I get mixed reviews on Shadowpact, but he's appearing in it now.

Thanks for the info. And -- BD is a devout Catholic? Bet he makes an impression when he walks into his church.

Sheesh, the guy even had a kid sidekick -- Kid Devil? Now that is corny. And then he (KD) gets turned into some angst-riddled hellbeast who is doomed regardless of what he does. At least Robin and Speedy never sold their souls to Satan!

Thanks for the info. And -- BD is a devout Catholic? Bet he makes an impression when he walks into his church.

Sheesh, the guy even had a kid sidekick -- Kid Devil? Now that is corny. And then he (KD) gets turned into some angst-riddled hellbeast who is doomed regardless of what he does. At least Robin and Speedy never sold their souls to Satan!

Worst for Dan, He starts smoking, litterally burns alive, when he walks onto holy ground. And he still goes to services (talk about pentence).

Ah but Kid Devil is NOT angst ridden, which is one of my problems with the character. He's all like 'oh darn lost my soul to a malevolent entity and quite possibly endangered all reality. Oh well at least I'll get to party before I'm dragged off to Hell.'

The original run was loads of fun. Blue Devil was a hero in denial. Everyone expected him to be a superhero despite his protests that he was just a guy stuck in the suit. And because he was a good guy, when trouble arose, Blue would rush to the rescue anyway. Further complicating things was what one friend dubbed his 'weirdness magnet' effect, the result of a blending of science and magic that caused Blue Devil to be plagued by any number of strange encounters. I myself liked the aliens in the microwave incident.

And yes, Kid Devil was yet another thing his involuntary superhero hood inflicted on him. His bosses nephew, Gopher, made a non bonded modified version of the suit and declared himself Dan's sidekick.

Dan proved during that run you could be a hard luck hero without being all dark about it. ;)

Here's a fan's site on him

http://bluedevil.uatu.net/

Blue Devil: (after scaring away some would-be muggers) You nice folks look lost. Can I help?

Female Tourist: Then this isn't "the Village"?

Blue Devil: No, ma'am. I'll show you how to get there.

Female Tourist: Are you...Superman??

Blue Devil: Yes, ma'am. That's who I am.

Ah, those were the days. :)

Ah but Kid Devil is NOT angst ridden' date=' which is one of my problems with the character. He's all like 'oh darn lost my soul to a malevolent entity and quite possibly endangered all reality. Oh well at least I'll get to party before I'm dragged off to Hell.'[/quote']

Well, maybe he's either (a) at peace with his decision or (B) he's the 'Beavis & Butt-head' of teener superheroes, and is just dumb.

Well' date=' maybe he's either (a) at peace with his decision or (B) he's the 'Beavis & Butt-head' of teener superheroes, and is just dumb.[/quote']

B is the impression that I got actually. Or at the very least, terminally lacking in common sense. The issue whee it was explained how he became a hellbeast strongly implies a critical lack of intelligence on his part.

Did anyone mention Kid Eternity? He's another interesting mystic character.

A series that was really fun to read was the Trechcoat Brigade. Full of all your DC favorite mystics.

Mister E was cool, too.

I liked Doctor Strange' date=' Dr Fate more than the others. Strange was good, he didn't need to be part of the mainstream of Marvel. Fate was well Fate, I can't really say why in the end I liked Fate so much.[/quote']

Fate certainly has seniority as a steadily appearing character on his side. Only Doctor Occult and Zatara have really been showing up longer, and they haven't been around as often. Fate also has (or had; don't know the 2000s version) all the cool extras (cool base, hot wife, trophies), and the built in legacy potential with the helmet.

Do you mean Zatana' date=' or has Zatara come back to life in a most unexpected way? :)[/quote']

There's a new Zatara, who's a cousin of Zatanna. He's a teenaged magician, not quite as talented as his more famous ancestor and a tad full of himself.

Do you mean Zatana' date=' or has Zatara come back to life in a most unexpected way? :)[/quote']

Zatara is evidently the family name, Zatanna Zatara is her proper name, with the original being Giovanni "John" Zatara. The younger family member is Zachary Zatara.

Nothing like giving your kid a name that'll force her into the family business. Kind of like Pops Racer naming his second son "Speed."

Personally, I think her name's Agnes and she adopted "Zatanna" as a name when she went into show business.

Hey, Hermit - that Blue devil fan page you linked to not only made a good point that more comic book writers these days should pay attention to, but it's also written by a man from the future!

(Last updated: July 2007)

Seriously, though - the guy made a good point. Not every character has to become increasingly darker and more damaged to be interesting!

That is all.

I'm going to have to go with Mirth - Kevin Matchstick is a good character, but Mirth was the real mystic in my opinion.

Honorable mention to Dr. Fate during the very early issues of Giffen's Justice League (the Grey Man storyline).

If I branch out to any mystically-powered super, Hellboy and Kevin Matchstick are tied in my book.

Hey, Hermit - that Blue devil fan page you linked to not only made a good point that more comic book writers these days should pay attention to, but it's also written by a man from the future!

(Last updated: July 2007)

Seriously, though - the guy made a good point. Not every character has to become increasingly darker and more damaged to be interesting!

That is all.

After what various writers have done to Blue Devil over the years [CURSE YOU MARK WAID!] I've found him increasingly less interesting. As a matter of fact, the darker and more damaged he got the less interesting he became untill I was actually happy they killed him off in Starman.