Who likes the new cover?

Chuk

Originally posted by Old Man

But you do remember the eleven foot tall amazon giantess with the axe?

Isn't that 11ft tall amazon Giantess the one that took out Old Man and Le Schtroumpf in one blow?

I had to smuck her around a lot to put her down to size.....

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Old Man

But you do remember the eleven foot tall amazon giantess with the axe?

The Campaign for Equal Heights had her replaced by Gimli the Dwarf. In truth all of the LOTR books are based on the second draft cranked out to avoid litigation.

And yes, she did have me in a tough spot until I tagged out to Eddie Smurphy - and that dude is RAW.

The cover is not bad. I do think the original pencils looked better than the finished product though. There is something about the coloring which takes away from the intimidation factor for me. The use of so many lite (pastel-like) colors seems to remove some of the danger trying to be portrayed, at least to me. Pastels can work in many superhero pictures, but I think when dealing with a fantasy genre you need harder colors. It is still a good cover though.

I would say that I liked the 2nd Edition Elmore cover slightly better though. I am not a fantasy fan but I have many times wondered what that lanced warrior was going to do against the advancing minotaur. :)

Storn is a talented artist and the cover is a nice piece. I like his style and its got energy.

With that said I don't know how I feel about it for fantasy hero. It conveys a specific type of fantasy (high fantasy with lots of non-humans), which seems more Setting Book specific than Genre Book appropriate IMHO.

That's just me, though. And since the vast majority of the fantasy crowd out there wants Tolkienesque DeeUndDee, Charmaster, MERP type materials its probably a good marketing shtick for getting frustrated "other system" gamers to give Hero a try.

Kudos Storn. It looks good.

It Rocks

Well, personally I liked it. No 1st level wimps! It conveys to me that the system works great for high powered adventure which it does. Plus the cover is more in line thematically with the other Hero system covers so I think the consistancy of it helps a lot.

I can't wait to get my copy.

Pete

Originally posted by Nato

T&A Fest!?! Are you and I looking at the same cover?

Agreed. There's one skimpy outfit on the cover. I wouldn't call that a T&A fest.

Now there are some artists who will draw female characters so you can both see the butt crack and count the bumps on each nipple. And the nipples are usually more detailed than the faces. I don't think we have any of those around here, though.

Originally posted by Monolith

I would say that I liked the 2nd Edition Elmore cover slightly better though. I am not a fantasy fan but I have many times wondered what that lanced warrior was going to do against the advancing minotaur. :)

Huh. I always thought that beasty on the cover of 2nd Ed. FH was a war troll. Also, I gave the guy on the horse about even odds. He looked tough, but war trolls are...well, war trolls!

Originally posted by sbarron

Huh. I always thought that beasty on the cover of 2nd Ed. FH was a war troll. Also, I gave the guy on the horse about even odds. He looked tough, but war trolls are...well, war trolls!

It might have been a war troll. It just looked like a giant minotaur to me. I am not a fantasy expert by any means. :)

Hmmmm I suppose I'll delay a final verdict until I can see a larger image of the cover, but off the cuff I like the old (2d edition) cover art better. The style of art work is too comic, super heoric looking and doesn't have the right feel to it. I don't know that I would actualy be attracted to the product based on the cover and I might even be turned off by it. True enough since the Hero system was first a super hero role playing game and also a heroic level system later one can easily run a very fantastic fantasy campaign, but my reaction to the cover would be that it was a decent cover for a 2nd tier company that is advertising uber super fantasitic fantasy gamming. Which isn't necisarily a bad thing, but I don't think that is the majority of the market. This is also not a slam on the quality of the art work, but on the style and feel of it and it's appropriateness in it's context.

Either way I feel confident it will be a good product.

Originally posted by Derek Hiemforth

I don't think it looks "too superheroey." Instead, I suspect that some folks are perceiving it that way because it looks like Storn's art, and you're used to seeing superheroic art from Storn. :)

That might be part of it. I kind of hope not, because then I won't like any stuff he does except supers!

That said, it is way, WAY better than the first edition cover was. :)

• 3 months later...

I just wanted to mention that now that I've got the actual book rather than just seeing the image online, it looks better to me. It quickly grew on me and now I'm pretty happy with it as a cover.

Not sure if I like it as much as the 2nd/4th edition FH cover, but it's close (and the interior art is way, way better than previous editions!)

Re: Who likes the new cover?

Originally posted by Chuk

It seems kind of inappropriate to me. It looks kind of neat, but it almost seems more super-heroish. Not trying to slam the actual quality of the art, which is excellent, but more the composition and selection of it.

I think I like the 4th edition one better.

I have to agree. I don't like the super-heroish art. Why not someone like Elmore? :o