Toying with new character concepts

Tech

I'm thinking of different hero concepts I may use/create but since I'm only toying with them, I thought I'd ask herodom for suggestions:

Concept 1:

I occasionally create characters based on pictures I find. One such picture is a heroine who is, well, green slime but looks somewhat like a human female. Any ideas on powers for a girl who is basically slime-like?

Concept 2:

Guy hero who uses mental powers but I'm so tired of the professor xavier clones or similar. I don't want to buy Ego Attack, Mental Illusion, Mind Scan or the usual. Now, that said, any ideas?

.... Oh, why not..

Concept 3:

Guy hero who can change matter around. Any ideas?

Re: Toying with new character concepts

Concept 2:

Guy hero who uses mental powers but I'm so tired of the professor xavier clones or similar. I don't want to buy Ego Attack, Mental Illusion, Mind Scan or the usual. Now, that said, any ideas?

Since you've already ruled out all the standard mental abilities you might want to describe what ability you want the character to have that might be thought of as mental but isn't covered by your list above.

Concept 2:

There was a pic I saw online of an egoist-looking guy with tentacle-things forming in air in front of him that I had on back-burner as a villain (Dr. Cerebellum!), who instead of illusions could create things from his imagination using his psychic energy to make "gray matter" stuff that actually interacted with the physical world. Tentacles/arms to grab people, walls, wings that let him fly, stuff like that.

1. http://arkham.genesismuds.com/hero/Champions/Mud%20Tracker.HTML

2. How about Pyrokinetics? or Postcognition? The first would be a slightly modified Energy Projector, the second could be an interesting take on a detective type. Especially if it is more like psychometry.

3. Like how? A person who rebuilds things around him as if they were legos? Elemental Transmutation? Or someone who can manipulate all matter as if it were clay...

The slime girl would be a natural for shape-shifter type powers such as stretching, damage reduction, limited desolidification, shapeshift vs touch only, etc. She could also have some kind of "bouncing", clinging, a chemical attack, some life supports. Ooh, she could have duplication!

1. http://arkham.genesismuds.com/hero/Champions/Mud%20Tracker.HTML

2. How about Pyrokinetics? or Postcognition? The first would be a slightly modified Energy Projector, the second could be an interesting take on a detective type. Especially if it is more like psychometry.

3. Like how? A person who rebuilds things around him as if they were legos? Elemental Transmutation? Or someone who can manipulate all matter as if it were clay...

3. Ya got me. That's why I'm asking you. ;)

Hey Log, I know the concept might sound Ewww but there's a lot of comic characters we'd think are ewww without seeing the picture.

I'm playing Tales of the Abyss, and there is a monster class - They've been water based and as near as I can tell crude oil...but they looked like a shapely feminine form reclining on her one side; they were shape shifters, attacking with their "Hair" and other limbs. But it was pretty cool. I kept running into them because I thought they were NPC's I needed to talk to ...

:D

3. Ya got me. That's why I'm asking you. ;)

Hey Log, I know the concept might sound Ewww but there's a lot of comic characters we'd think are ewww without seeing the picture.

I think you are confusing special effect (sfx) with the powers in HERO. The 2 do not have to match up.

Example: A character can have the standard Superman power set but have the sfx of those powers be Mental in nature.

You really need to either define what you want the characters to be able to do (effect) or give a more well defined sfx (special effect) for us to help you work back from.

Hey Log' date=' I know the concept might sound Ewww but there's a lot of comic characters we'd think are ewww without seeing the picture.[/quote']

Truth be told, I love living substance characters. They're my favorites. I can actually see Slime Girl quite vividly in my mind, and I think you could do something very effective there. But I keep coming back to the evil mucus clone of The Tick created by Thrakkorzog which The Tick inhaled. "I didn't want to do this! I really didn't want to do this...*snorrrt*" Again, I must say "Ewwwww." :sick::D

As for Concept 3: If you're just looking for fun general ideas, what about a matter animator?

I think you are confusing special effect (sfx) with the powers in HERO. The 2 do not have to match up.

Example: A character can have the standard Superman power set but have the sfx of those powers be Mental in nature.

You really need to either define what you want the characters to be able to do (effect) or give a more well defined sfx (special effect) for us to help you work back from.

Nope, not confusing the two and I know they don't have to match up. The three characters are in various stages of concept creation. In some cases, I have so very little idea, it's at the point of 'Hey, howabout someone who can change matter around. Ok, now what?'

Anyone's free to throw out a concept or powers or combine them or whatever they want. That's the title of this thread 'toying with new concepts'. I'm toying around with what characters to create, though some have more thought behind them than others.

Mentalist without Mental Powers has tons of possibilities. Arkham's idea about pyrokinetics (Indirect EB) is exactly the type of stuff I was thinking.

Some other thoughts...

Spirit Channeling (Images)

Psychokinesis (Telekinesis)

ESP (Clairsentience maybe including Post- and Pre- cognition)

Astral Travel (Desolidification or EDM)

Psychic Healing (Healing)

Body Control (numerous Transform effects)

Speaking in Tongues (Universal Translator)

Do a search under Parapsycology online for tons of ideas.

[edit] Concepts 1 (generic Metamorph) and 3 (generic Transform) seem pretty standard just with a specific special effects.

For concept 2: How about a drain or two? The mentalist “blocks off” the characters access to the part of their brain the controls the power.

How about: 3d6 drain, variable advantage any one power, reduced return rate 5 pts per minute, based on EGO combat Value, ranged.

I’m at work without my books so I have no idea what something like this might cost.

EDIT: Would this have to be an AVLD attack if I wanted the defense to be ego defense rather than power defense?

Concept 1:

I occasionally create characters based on pictures I find. One such picture is a heroine who is, well, green slime but looks somewhat like a human female. Any ideas on powers for a girl who is basically slime-like?

Shapeshift seems a natural choice, but also there's desolidification, but with limitations (maybe she can go through cracks under doors, but she definitely can't go through walls). An Entangle using the body might be appropriate (with possible extra defense for just that power), and Damage Reduction sounds good; maybe 25% + 25% not versus AoE attacks = 50% total.

Concept 2:

Clarsentience, Detect Life, and Spatial Awareness. Something along the lines of Jedi powers (though you may be tired of the Mind Tricks/Mind Control). Perhaps an Aid to Self ("motivation") or maybe even for others (controlling their adrenaline) to help boost Characteristics.

Concept 3:

Transform sounds like the first power, but Change Environment could work also, depending on what you're going for.

Are there by chance any powers that you'd like to incorporate that people in your campaigns don't normally buy?

For the slime-girl. How about the ability to alter the kinds of slime she secretes? A corrosive slime to tunnel and for a HKA. Slippery slime for fast skate like movement or to leave puddles of it to trip up opponents. Maybe even a few different psychoactive slimes for ego attacks or mental illusions (Uncontrolled, like LSD).

Grimble

I'm thinking of different hero concepts I may use/create but since I'm only toying with them, I thought I'd ask herodom for suggestions:

Concept 1:

While not exactly the same, here is my man sized amoeba character, which could give you some ideas.

Meeb

Concept 1:

Concept 2:

.... Oh, why not..

Concept 3:

Maybe the "mentalist" controlls his own body perfectly? stuff like that?

I know I didn't specify but these are heros. For the guy concept, I decided to go with the idea that he can control matter, similar to Molecule Man; plenty of powers to choose from.

On behalf of cavemen area, I'd like to say: "Huh?"

(AKA: Please explain.)

He's a "mentalist" that can only effect himself...so Dam reduction (Command: Ignore the pain!!!") or look at the "Mustle controll thread....

Defensive Pres...I don't see a monster...(Mental illusions self onlt sfx)

Concept 2:

Using some specific anime seires, I'll mention the characters and mention their psychic powers.

Iczer-1: Telepathy(only to talk), energy blasts from hand, telekinsis, teleportation, temporal manipualtion(reset Earthfrom before the Cthullu invaded), pyschic blade, energy explosion(wiped out a solar system with it), flight, space flight, dimensional travel, danger sense, empathy(only for Nagisa)

The Dangaio pilots from Star Giant Dangaioh or the DOLL manga. All have basic telepathy and can talk to each other no matter what and are a lot stronger than normal humans. Can take a lot physical punishmnet.

Mia-flight, energy explosion, force field, telportation

In DOLL, she could manifest a giant energy Dangaio that could really hurt

Lamba-Energy blast through finger

In DOLL, she could do other things with the energy bolt. She could also infuse power into other people

Pai-Super strength beyond the others

In DOLL, she could fly on her own

Roll-Running while surroned with an energy sheath.

In DOLL, he could summon the energy sheath and used it to disentgrate someone by spiing around near him(more like being next to whirling helicopte blades)

In the DOLL manga, all four are capable fighters. Heck, the three girls are wrestlers in the manga.

Moving on, Iczer-1 could actually argue with Jean Grey on who the most powerful psychic is. Iczer-1 can shield her mind, but she doesn't have the mental attacks Jean does. However, Jean doesn't have that many defenses against a psychic sword shoved through her gut.

One guy, and four girls. However, that should give you some ideas on other types of psychic characters.

Concept 1:

Concept 2:

.... Oh, why not..

Concept 3:

On concept 2. How about an anti-psi. He has innate very high mental defense and a significant Suppress Ego Powers, AE Radius, no range that is either always on or switchable on and off. Add some appropriate skills and perhaps some device-based powers so that he is decent in a fight and out of it. As a twist, assuming you take the always on option, he does not even know that he is an anti-psi at first. He just knows that some villains and heros REALLY like or hate him, depending on whether or not they have Ego powers.

Gemphyre