Best Published Superhero Adventure?

Dead guy on tab

Re: Best Published Superhero Adventure?

I'd go with The Island of Dr. Destroyer (version 1.0) and/or The Great Supervillain Contest.

The Great Supervillain Contest ran so well that years later, I did it again as TGSC 2.0 and finished up all sorts of loose ends the original one left.

I rarely if ever run published adventures, though I gleefully plunder them for characters, maps, and ideas.

One of the few adventures I did run mostly as-is was Unearthed Mechana from an issue of Digital Hero. It was great fun, run the same weekend as the great Northeast Blackout of 2003, and between my players' actions (and a little plot manipulation by me), they managed to cause the blackout while stopping Mechana.

I also have great love for the VIPER adventure that originally came with an early edition of Champions. (The adventure started with a VIPER agent defecting and culminated in a raid on the local VIPER Nest.) Could be nostalgia, but as I recall it was a lot of fun for me as a player, and my players had fun when I dusted it off and ran them through it early in my GM-ing career.

While we're remembering DC Heroes, don't forget "Don't Ask", the wonderful Ambush Bug adventure.

I also seemed to recall some dynamite adventure material in Ray's Watchman sourcebook, but it's been awhile since I looked at it. (I may be confusing it with Dan Greenberg's adventure).

While we're remembering DC Heroes' date=' don't forget "Don't Ask", the wonderful Ambush Bug adventure. [/quote']

As always, the esteemed Mr. Bennie speaks priceless pearls of great wisdom. If you've never read this module, please drop whatever you're doing and go buy a copy. The sequence where the players are challenged to use the DC Heroes rules to build a time machine is the single funniest bit in a published module ever. dw

I used two adventures from old White Dwarf magazines and had a lot of fun.

1. Slayground - small adventure using a neighborhood carnival with rides and carnies. The villians were stock, but used one (Bast) as a love intrest/foil for a Batman type character.

2. American Dream - A huge adventure ending on an aircraft carrier. The villians were a veritable army and while not fully fleshed out, I used them as fodder for so many B list masterminds that they were like family to most of my heroes.

Another from White Dwarf was a time travel adventure (Strikeback) that had a team go back into time and fight Dr. Frankenstein, Dracula, and Capt. Nemo to stop a movie Terminator type villian.

Good Times.

No argument there. Good plot' date=' strong characterizations, great mood, beautiful maps, lots of little touches to help set the scenes, and probably the most thoroughly thought-out supers adventure I've ever seen in terms of adjusting the plot to the players' actions.[/quote']

OT, but with Shades of Black:

Does it get sent to you as a file to be downloaded/printed, or as a disc that you have to wrestle with?

I'm just asking because when I ordered the Yin Wu and Raven PDF files, I got them as files in my e-mail, but when I ordered Captain Battle and the Science Police, it was shipped to me as a compact disc -- which won't work on my computer.

I'd like to know how this gets handled before I pay any money.

And concerning the thread topic, I'd have to say that Coriolis Effect was/is one of the best adventures Hero Games ever did, though I also have a warm spot for the first Champions Adventures book with Interface.

• 3 weeks later...

As always' date=' the esteemed Mr. Bennie speaks priceless pearls of great wisdom. If you've never read this module, please drop whatever you're doing and go buy a copy. The sequence where the players are challenged to use the DC Heroes rules to build a time machine is the single funniest bit in a published module ever. dw[/quote']

i just had this module come today, looking forward to reading it.