Doctor, Doctor!

braincraft

I've noticed that a lot of supers are doctors, either Ph.Ds or outright M.D.s. Doctor Strange is a surgeon, Dr. Mid-Nite was a physician in all incarnations, Dr. Light has a Ph.D (I forget whether it was one or both), Doc Samson, Dr. Doom (don't think he's a proper doctor, but probably has an honorary degree from Latveria University or something).

What about doctors in your campaigns, villainous or heroic?

Re: Doctor, Doctor!

My very first Champs char has a PhD in subatomic physics. He was conducting a huge experiment in cold fusion when it was sabotaged. The resulting explosion gave him his powers. He is now the headmaster at Ravenswood Academy.

Brother bought a coconut, he bought it for a dime

His sister had another one, she paid it for the lime

She put the lime in the coconut, she drank 'em both up

Put the lime in the coconut, she called the doctor, woke him up, and said

Doctor, ain't there nothin' I can take, I said

Doctor, to relieve this bellyache, I said

Doctor, to relieve this bellyache

Now let me get this straight

Put the lime in the coconut, you drank 'em both up

Put the lime in the coconut, you called your doctor, woke him up, and said

:D:D

Captain is another very common one - how many Supers are Lieutenants, Majors or Brigadier-Generals? In recent years, some writers have deliberately made characters of different rank in conscious defiance of the genre convention, though.

For some reason, Green is a very popular color for hero names, although the many variations of Red are pretty popular too. A lot of it comes down to what rolls off the tongue easily.

I played a mentalist, Mindstar, for years who in his secret id was a doctor that specialized in super powered beings. It was really interesting when he would get called in to take care of the villains the group just defeated. But I don't think anyone else played that kind of doctor. I know a few others in the campaign were Phd's in other fields. In the current game I am gearing up for, one of the main characters will also be a medical doctor specializing in super powered and alien beings. (It will eventually become an important part of the story.) There will also be a couple of PhD's in various sciences.

I have never played any type military character, though. I don't know if anyone in our group did. Though I suppose my one character, Plex, would have had to been a Captain in the Air Force at one point since that is where he learned his piloting skills. But it was never a focal point to any story, his make-up, or anything else for that matter. We never had a patriotic super in our group.

I do plan on having a patriotic character in the game I'll be running for a bunch of new players. But he wasn't in the military, he is a diplomat. His wife's father, though, was in the secret service if that counts.

Colors I have used for my supers: Plex wore white, red, and blue. (Black if you want to count boots.) Mindstar wore a black costume with a yellow/orange/red stylized image of an exploding star. Modred the Mystic wore chainmail with a red surcoat and a green cloak. Ghost Rider wore, well black leather. Those were my main characters that I have played over the years.

For villains we used the Champions Universe, so whoever was a doctor in their write-up was the same in ours. So I guess Dr Destroyer counts since he was my main characters arch-nemesis.

We have several in MidGuard:

Thunderbird is an actual physician and surgeon (and Apache shaman).

Cyberknight has a Ph.D. (I forgot in exactly what; probably some flavor of engineering).

Silhouette has several doctorates in related physics fields. She's also a Nobel Prize winner in Physics.

Vesuvius has a doctorate in volcanology.

A retired member, Catseye, was also a physician.

A current game I'm GMing has a character who is the archetypical brilliant surgeon who discovered he had a healing touch. He armored up and became Crashcart. Unbeknownst to him, however, his healing power will have some repercussions with it's use.

Brother bought a coconut, he bought it for a dime

His sister had another one, she paid it for the lime

Put the lime in the coconut, she called the doctor, woke him up, and said

Doctor, to relieve this bellyache

Now let me get this straight

Put the lime in the coconut, you called your doctor, woke him up, and said

:D:D

You're such a silly woman!

I think only two of my characters have had doctorates. One was Fang, an homage to (or thinly-veiled ripoff of) Hank McCoy. He was a physician and medical researcher specializing in immunology. He acquired his powers when he accidentally infected himself while trying to discover a cure for Lycanthropy.

One of my current characters, Wild Card, has a PhD. in Archeology and teaches the subject at the University of Florida-Vibora Bay. You can imagine what his research projects involve....

The character I prefer using in superhero games, Dr. Archeville, does not actually hold any doctorate degrees, but does have two Master's. (Like most comic super-genius polymaths, he's intelligent & skilled enough to earn several doctorates, just never takes the time to actually go through the paperwork to get them.)

I've had one PC that was an actual doctor, both having a PhD and being a licensed physician.

A vast number of my villains have doctorates. Most are scientists, especially with one of my main villainous groups being genetic engineers. 13 PCs and NPCs in my universe have Dr. as part of their nom de geurre. I figure a genre built around exceptional people should have them exceptional in many ways...

I play Dr. Sebastian Castle... AKA: BASTION

He's an accredited Doctor of Physics with a focus on Quantum Theory and Application and probably has enough smarts to warrant honorary doctorates in a dozen other sciences.

Interestingly, there are no DOCTOR So-and-Sos in my game. However, there are many villains who have the appropriate education to be considered tops in their field.