WWYCD: The Coverup

jkwleisemann

This one came to me as an element in a character's background, figured I'd see what other folks out there think. Hoping to avoid 'moral railroading' here; fortunately, I think it's a situation where there can be arguments made either way.

The background: One of the most respected hero teams in your world (think Justice Squadron scale) has confronted one of their most deadly foes, his already impressive power enhanced even further (mmm... perhaps Destroyer, his youth and vigor restored and having just taken the opportunity to retool his armor so it doesn't waste so much power on the life support systems he'd used before).

The villain is already known to cause mass carnage and destruction; while he's only taking his new toys out on a test drive through a mid-sized metropolitan district for the moment, his track record indicates that he *will* turn it on larger areas in the future.

In the course of the battle, the majority of Our Heroes are killed or seriously injured. Just as it looks like victory is assured for the villain, a massive explosion destroys a healthy portion of the city. If this has happened before (*cough*Detroit*cough*), this time there's no doubt that the villain was killed, along with the rest of the heroes, in the explosion.

Everybody assumes that the villain tried out a new toy of his and it backfired, killing him as well as everybody else. It's not unreasonable. Everybody moves on, mourns the loss of the world's greatest heroes along with tens of thousands of civilians, and starts rebuilding.

Then, about a year or so later, one of the hero's sidekicks comes to you with an uncomfortable question. He was back at the base during the battle; knowing it was going to be big, his mentor didn't take him into the fight. He was monitoring comm traffic, and heard a piece of information that he isn't sure should be taken public, but it's big enough that he wants to get a relatively neutral opinion.

During the final moments of the battle, his mentor unleashed a new spell/gadget of his own that resulted in the devastation of the city. The sidekick isn't sure (or won't admit to being sure) that his mentor knew what the attack would do; it's possible that it reacted with something in the villain's new powers that went Chernobyl on everyone. He feels that his mentor, in the last moments of the fight, seeing that it was a doomed battle anyways, decided to sacrifice himself to destroy the villain, and either wasn't aware of the collateral damage that would ensue or decided that it was the lesser of two bad choices, the other being letting the bad guy get loose to take on the world with his new toys and the only people with any real chance of beating him dead.

The hero in question *was* known to be a bit of an egomaniac, but the idea that he would have done this *just* so that he "won" the fight is patently ridiculous to anybody who met him before. That's a level of psychotic monomania far more in line with his opponent than with him.

All evidence suggests that the only person who knows anything about this is the sidekick, and you. After a solid year, anybody else who knew probably would have said *something*.

The question is - would you cover it up, let the world go on believing in the version of events that they currently do, or reveal what actually happened, regardless of the effects it might have, not only on the reputation of the fallen hero and his colleagues, but yourself (among those who don't believe it) or superheroes on a larger scale as well?

Re: WWYCD: The Coverup

It would depend on the character I was playing, of course, and I usually GM. However, I think a few things would be universal.

First, I would want to find out why the sidekick waited a year. Did it just take him/her that long to work up the courage? Did the sidekick not realize what had happened until just recently? If my character was especially paranoid, I'd be checking to see if this could have been planted and the sidekick brainwashed/replaced.

Second, how clear is it that the hero's action caused the big boom? This would boil down to "correlation does not imply causation." Just because the Saucier Supreme unleashed a Bada$$ Béchamel Blast or the Dire Dashi of Destiny for the first time doesn't mean he turned Hoboken into a crater. Unless the hero actually utters "This'll level a few blocks, but it's worth it," I'll be looking for supporting evidence.

The First Ladies confronted with this cover-up:

Primadonna: would keep it a secret. She respects dead heroes, even if they did something wrong, there's no need to dishonor them after their death. She'd probably sing a song about heroes' responsibilities, but not telling any names.

Primaballerina: the same, basically. She is a quiet person and does not talk with the press or any government officials or the like.

Diva: she would tell. She loves the media attention, this whole thing would provoke. That's the kind of life she was made for. Initially she would not be concerned by a dead man's reputation, but if confronted with a sad mourning family, she'd probably apologize. But the next day she'd give her next interview.

Don't ask Deuce...he's good at keeping secrets. Too good. Now, he'd investigate the causes of the disaster himself, and if the hero was indeed obviously the cause, he'd probably take steps in the future on how to prevent the same thing from happening to his group. But if the villain could have conceivably caused it, and there is enough motive for him to do so, then that would be good enough for him. Besides, the villain could have caused the hero's new power trick to go haywire. Perhaps he was casting the spell/tuning the Megazap rifle/Saying "Sh-Boom"/Adjusting his aim when the villain struck him, or there indeed was a "critical mass effect" that caused the accident. At any rate, it was the villain's fault. If he had not been there committing his nefarious scheme, the hero would have never tried to experiment.

He would press the sidekick as to details (sometimes they can get things wrong, or perhaps the sidekick has been brainwashed, or "mind-controlled", or whatever). Deuce's group would be a big aid to finding the truth- two of them have psionic powers. Deuce himself would try just to discuss matters quietly with the sidekick- perhaps over a couple of double bourbons or the equivalent if the sidekick is so inclined (and is legally able to imbibe). No judgments- just listening. He's actually pretty good at that, being a former spy and all. Perhaps the sidekick waited a year out of sheer guilt.

Being a WWII vet, he understands that even entire cities must be sacrificed with innocents in them for evil to be defeated. Sections of London were made deliberate target for the Nazis to strike so that other, more critical areas could survive. It's truly horrific, sometimes, but the price of ridding the world of evil is almost more than humanity can bear.

Sulthan (were I playing him): People learn from the example of heroes. Good, bad, and ugly. How will people learn, if the stories aren't told? My own humble efforts, of course, are not worthy of such attention, but you speak of a great person, fallen for the sake of us all. The least he deserves is that his truth be known.

Aodh: "You can't bring the best researchers into a subject of inquiry without making the subject known. Imagine what we can learn from better understanding this incident! Think of the power we could tap, when we know how to control it."

Cash Cat: Looks back through time at the event, to satisfy his own curiousity. The information he gets, of course, he keeps to himself, if the sidekick's his client. If not, it goes to the highest bidder.

Signature: "I'm with Aslan on this. I need know no man's story but my own."

Second, how clear is it that the hero's action caused the big boom? This would boil down to "correlation does not imply causation."

All my characters would agree with Matrix3's statement. Just because a hero used their new Macross Cannon Attack! doesn't mean they are responsible for the detestation.

Ironhide: would keep it quite. in his opinion nothing would be served by make the sidekick's theory public. further Ironhide would try to find out why the Sidekick has waited a year before acting on his fears. Ironhide would quietly and privately begin an investigation into the event and the Sidekick, you never know he might be the acting under duress or just not dealing well with survivor guilt.

Darkfire: would console the sidekick that he was right to come to her with his fears and together they will find the truth and do whats right. while talking she would thoroughly scan him for any trace of mental or mystical manipulation, then she would scan him again just to be sure. (if mystically foes really are out to get you, if your not paranoid your just don't understand the situation.) after satisfying herself he was clean she would try some surface level telepathy along with using her considerable skills of persuasion to get a read on his emotional status and his intentions. Afterward Darkfire would create rituals to view the past and determine the truth of the matter. If its not true she would tell the Sidekick and encourage him to come to her with any other problems, after all everyone needs a friend and confidant. Darkfire's goal would be to ensure herself a new asset...*cough* I meant ally. If it was true she would encourage the sidekick to keep it quite (with a mental nudge if necessary) as such a revelation would only surve to shatter public trust in superheros and greatly compromise the national healing process. Darkfire would again urge the sidekick come to her with any problems. she would gain an asset/pawn with the added advantage of guilt and/or blackmail to hold of his head if necessary.:eg:

John O'Malley II: would offer his guidance as a Catholic father, while urging secrecy in the matter. "sometimes we must bear our burdens in silence." he would use his prayers of revelation to try and determine the truth of the matter. he would ask his colleagues to determine of the sidekick was being influenced by outside sources.

Zero would get paranoid about why the sidekick came to him particularly.

And Vitus would shrug. Whether or not the Big Bad blew himself up or had assistance in his own destruction, the result was no mass carnage later.

Thus, the result is overall a positive one, regardless of local casulties. Altho have a good look over the Bid Bad's Death Machine would have been nice. Vitus appreciates good engineering.

Aquatic: Aquatic would be very troubled by this, but be more concerned for the sidekick than anything else at this point. That poor kid carrying this concern around. However, what's done is done. He might share the information with an older more experienced hero himself. However, he would probably also assure the sidekick that his theory, while possible, wasn't automatically true.

Banner: Banner is a reporter. He'd probably investigate the evidence of the remains and incident and see if anything could be proven with certainty one way or another. Then he'd probably report what they KNEW to be the facts, and a reminder that all this is alleged.

Jake the Troll - "Dude, go see a priest". Of course, that's his usual answer to any moral dilemma. However, Jake wouldn't really question why he was the one being told: he's from a "confession is good for the soul" family, and would assume that some form of guilt had been weighing on the sidekick for a year, until they finally just HAD to tell someone. He'd talk to his parents about in, but wouldn't use any specifics. They'd probably encourage him to get the guy to report it to the relavent authorities, as something of that magnitude needs to be out in the open.

Icon - probably would know the sidekick from working with them in a junior league sort of way. This would likely have come out in a group councelling session, as she attends those sorts of things. With that in mind, it would probably have been told to her in confidence. Therefore, she'd encourage said individual to go talk to the police or the feds, as they REALLY need to know this sort of thing. However, she wouldn't act on it herself.

Shinji Miromoto - this would be something that would fall under his contract with the Denver Defenders as "something the rest of the team should know."

Widower - assuming the sidekick is fairly young, he'd listen and councel as much as he could: he's actually pretty good at that sort of thing. However, he'd say NOTHING to anyone, as he'd consider the political backlash to be so large that the poor kid would be swept up in it.

Blade is very good at keeping secrets. He'd not be happy about the city's destruction, but after a year, he'd just patrol the streets and make sure there's not a lot of looting (which there might have been to start with). And sharpen a lot of knives (perfectly crafted, of course).

Gem is a scientist (in an alien suit). After sifting through evidence, she'd say, "you don't know what really happened. No point in stirring up ashes now. Concentrate on rebuilding."

Raptorian (as human): "Too late now to go yakkin'. Zip the lip."

(As Raptor): "ZZZZ!" (Starts flying toward the sidekick.)

Amphibian: He was a good man; whatever he did in his last battle is between him and his God now. If I saw any good to be done by telling anyone, I would help you set up the press conference if that's what you want to do; but what could you hope to accomplish?

Stormwalker: Barring time travel or necromancy, I don't see how we can know with certainty. I think it is better to hold your peace.

Quetzlcoatl: You would be hated by those who disbelieved you, and even the most objective will conclude only that there is much to doubt. My advice is to bury your doubts with the rest of the past. You have more constructive things to do; we have people who need our help. That's why we're heroes.

Lucius Alexander

The Palindromedary: Live not on evil.

Nova: we have no way to know whether it was really your mentor's last-ditch attack to cause this, and whether he did it purposefully. It was a desperate battle, and powers can often react unpredictably in such circumstances. He was a good man, and laid down his life to defeat evil. No good can come from outing your doubts to the world. By all means, bury this down.

Cornerstone would sincerely console the sidekick. But them remind him gently that only God knows what really happened

He would help the sidekick realize that God has forgiven the hero, and that without knowing for sure what happened that day- it would be best to move on.

Silver Speedster wouldn't see the point of dragging this out.

Mark IV would say that taking out the villain by sacrificing himself was a logical decision. Anything else would be conjecture or hear say.

Super! Absorbant! Sponge!!!!! wouldn't have a clue what to do or say. This type of complex thinking is not his cup of tea. He'd probably hug the sidekick and ask him if we wanted to hang around for a while.

Badger- Wouldnt worry about it. He probably would have done similar had he been there (if it was Doc Destroyer, a rip-off of which is his mortal enemy, he would be mad he didnt get to kill him or at least die trying). He'll take the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few and all that approach.

Frosty Bob- after the story finished. "Did you say something? I wasnt listening"

Re: WWYCD: The Coverup -- Covering Up The Cover Up

Sir Johnstone would listen to what the sidekick had to say, while stoking the log fire, then tell the sidekick that he, being a man with many skills has researched the events and found conclusive evidence that it definitely was the villain's fault. He would have mentioned it sooner but there was no sense in muckraking. Then he tells the sidekick to go and relax, now he knows the truth. The next panel shows what's on the logfire.

The fire is burning the last of the plans that (Sidekick's hero) made to stop

(Uber-Bad-Guy) by causing exactly the amount of destruction that happened.