Hypothetically and unofficially, what would you like to see in a Mecha Hero book?

Chris Goodwin

Re: Hypothetically and unofficially, what would you like to see in a Mecha Hero book?

I look at a mecha book being more of a 'flavor' or 'effects' book than one that tries to establish rules. To me a Mecha book would be more like the Ultimate Mentalist or Ultimate Brick except relating to Mecha. But as a clarification I don't really consider Battletech as 'Mecha'' date=' to me they are just walking tanks. Mecha such as seen in Robotech, Full Metal Panic, Code Geass, etc., all have a distinct feel to them. And getting that feel to translate is the hard part.[/quote']

It is unavoidable to establish some rules in such a book however. In fact, the Ultimate series tend to have more special rules in them than any other HERO product shy of a Genre book. The Ultimate Martial Artist (expanded combat rules, added Ranged Martial Arts, expanded Martial Maneuvers) and Ultimate Mentalist (Mind to Mind Combat, rules expansions on nearly all Mental Powers) being prime examples of this.

I do agree though that about 80% of the book should be about how to adapt the current ruleset to represent what you see in Mecha anime/games. As it stands now, you can pretty much reconstruct anything you see in Mecha anime with the current HERO rules, its just that most players don't know where to start. Thats where a Mecha Hero (or Ultimate Mecha) should come in handy.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Hypothetically and unofficially, what would you like to see in a Mecha Hero book?

Another commonality in Mecha anime is Thought Control. How would you represent Thought Control in your mecha campaigns?

My thoughts are to use Mind Link between the Pilot and Mecha. If the Pilot has to be Psychic to use the Thought Control system, then the Pilot needs to posses Mind Link. If not, then the Mind Link can be a system built in to the Mecha.

Once the pilot is "linked" to the mecha, there should be fairly significant bonuses to the reaction speed of the pilot and the mecha. My suggestion would be a Aid or Succor that adds to both the Pilot and the Mecha's DEX and SPD simultaneously. Thus both parties perform at an increased level. The bonuses should be linked to the Mind Link power, thus if the Mind Link is defeated in some way (equipment is destroyed, the pilot Telepathically bocked etc) the bonuses dissapear.

This could also be used to represent a Neural Linkage from cybernetics, though the bonuses from such a system probably shouldn't give as big of a bonus as true Thought Control.

Examples: Numerous. Mobile Suit Gundam's Psychommu (Psychic Communication), Macross Plus's Brain Direct Interface, The Five Star Stories Electroencephalo Helmet, The Vision of Escaflowne, its a pretty big list.

It is unavoidable to establish some rules in such a book however. In fact' date=' the Ultimate series tend to have more special rules in them than any other HERO product shy of a Genre book. The Ultimate Martial Artist (expanded combat rules, added Ranged Martial Arts, expanded Martial Maneuvers) and Ultimate Mentalist (Mind to Mind Combat, rules expansions on nearly all Mental Powers) being prime examples of this. [/quote'] True and yes. Now that you mention it. A book related to Mecha (an Anime :whistle:) may be better served if they took the form of the Ultimate series. The Ultimate Mecha you might say.

I do agree though that about 80% of the book should be about how to adapt the current ruleset to represent what you see in Mecha anime/games. As it stands now, you can pretty much reconstruct anything you see in Mecha anime with the current HERO rules, its just that most players don't know where to start. Thats where a Mecha Hero (or Ultimate Mecha) should come in handy.

Absolutely. IMO there has never been anything that could not be reasonably created using Hero, even as far back as 2nd Ed. But the disconnect is usually the players and/or newer GM not having that starting point.

Another commonality in Mecha anime is Thought Control. How would you represent Thought Control in your mecha campaigns?

Still thinking on it. I have a couple ideas taking form. Maybe....

Another commonality in Mecha anime is Thought Control. How would you represent Thought Control in your mecha campaigns?..........

Good question and not forgotten. I just haven't had time to sit down and write down my thoughts.

Yes' date=' Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket was quite gritty. Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory was close, but not as bad, although Gundam: 8th MS Team was nearly as gritty as War in the Pocket.[/quote']

Thenn those are the ones I am looking for. I haven't seen a lot of Gundam :(

Thenn those are the ones I am looking for. I haven't seen a lot of Gundam :(

Oh really?

I would recommend the Gundam movies (a shortened version of the original series split into three movies) Gundam 0080, Gundam 0083, 8th MS Team, Zeta Gundam (lots of episodes, no real way to avoid that) and Char's Counterattack. Those are the essentials. V Gundam also gets pretty good (and has one of my favorite Mobile Suit designs) but it might be difficult to obtain.

Alternate Timelines include Gundam Wing (decent, but very different from the original) Gundam X, G Gundam (a fun, but again VERY different show), Gundam Seed. These aren't related to the U.C. Timeline (the original) at all but they retain the Gundam name because of the design aesthetics of the mecha.

Still thinking on it. I have a couple ideas taking form. Maybe....

Thought control would let the pilot use his own unmodified OCV and DCV instead of having to rely on the machine's computer.

Thought control would let the pilot use his own unmodified OCV and DCV instead of having to rely on the machine's computer.

Or it could be a special effect that allows for more responsive (higher Dex and Spd) mecha.

One problem with Hero is that one can really overthink something, when the less complicated writeup is probably the best one.

As for what I would like to see in an Ultimate Mecha book

One is an easy way to writeup Mecha for the various Mecha Genres

I would love to see a section on Steampunk and Fantasy Mecha.

Also a Section on Galactic Champions and Mecha. (Superheroes out of mecha fighting beside and against Mecha).

Also an update to the Robot Warriors Rules that did a better job of simulating the different Mecha Genre's

I agree that it would be a good thing to put this off till 6th edition ships so that it can be compatable with the new ruleset.

Tasha

• 11 months later...

Oh really?

I would recommend the Gundam movies (a shortened version of the original series split into three movies) Gundam 0080, Gundam 0083, 8th MS Team, Zeta Gundam (lots of episodes, no real way to avoid that) and Char's Counterattack. Those are the essentials. V Gundam also gets pretty good (and has one of my favorite Mobile Suit designs) but it might be difficult to obtain.

Alternate Timelines include Gundam Wing (decent, but very different from the original) Gundam X, G Gundam (a fun, but again VERY different show), Gundam Seed. These aren't related to the U.C. Timeline (the original) at all but they retain the Gundam name because of the design aesthetics of the mecha.

The Crunchyroll streaming anime website (where anime producers send their translated anime to be shows to early-adopter Westerners) is currently streaming an English dub of the most recent series, Gundam 00. Given that show's themes I'm surprised it isn't more controversial than it's turned out to be so far.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope not in the style of the new transformers film by Michael Bay (the new Devastator :weep:)
I was actually kind of excited to see Devastator in the film. Other than not seeing the individual Constructicons, what was wrong with it?

I was actually kind of excited to see Devastator in the film. Other than not seeing the individual Constructicons, what was wrong with it?

Viewing it from below.

Viewing it from below.
I just saw the section on his appearance in his Wikipedia article, mentioning heavy criticism over a detail I'd missed when viewing. I can see the problem now....

Though the transform-and-combine sequence for Devastator was still very cool-looking, at least to my eye.

Though the transform-and-combine sequence for Devastator was still very cool-looking, at least to my eye.

No objection on the spectacularity of the special effects but they robbed the transformers of their dignity.

...robbed the transformers of their dignity.

Sorry to have to break this to you, but they were a cartoon.

I know that's rough news to have to hear so early in the week,

but it's absolutely true.