Double The Hero Excitement!

Darren Watts

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Double The Hero Excitement!

I was in a hurry when I posted earlier, and mistakenly read the idea as a combat & campaign manager for face-to-face RPG games. That's what I don't have much love for.

I actually would like a combat & campaign manager. But not for during the game, but one that directly interfaces with HD that I could use to record and log ongoing games. Right now I use HD for game write ups and word docs to track and log the gameplay. It would be fantastic to be able to select a scenario outline, a timeline, a notes page, the Villains, minions and other NPC's plus indicate which Heros were in the session and have HD automatically spit out all of the information sheets in hardcopy plus the Speed Chart/Move Order.

I don't like to use a computer during play either.

I can't believe they SOLD the IP instead of licensing it like they should have.

Oh, this is going to get depressing. DoJ is going to have to pay through the nose every quarter to shore up an MMORPG that nobody wants.

Forget 6th edition in '09, they'll be lucky to see Q4 of '08.

So' date=' Cryptic can bring back CLOWN? :D[/quote']

"The needs of an MMO and of a paper-and-pencil roleplaying game aren't always the same, and as the owners of the Champions Universe IP Cryptic Studios can change things around however it sees fit."

That looks like a solid YES to me!

Yeah, you're right. It's not there anymore. The funny thing is, the website was down last night from about 10:30 to 12:00 (at last from what I saw), but at 12:05 I checked the website and it worked. It had a new layout and everything, so I started looking at all the new stuff. Under About Champions, on the very bottom, was the announcement that they teamed up with some video game company and sold the Champions IP to them to make an MMORPG using the characters, but not the system. I even quoted from it in an earlier post, but that too got deleted.

The odd thing is that somehow I can't get to page 17 of this thread. :) Either something's wrong with the code, or I have to post in order to be able to see it. Weird.

Yes! Something IS wrong with the counting code. It told me there was a page 17, even though it was really at the bottom of page 16. Please fix, o mighty ones, that I might be confused no longer. :)

I missed the MMORPG announcement. Is there a link to read up on it?

Thanks,

wlg

No, it was deleted by the moderators of this website earlier today. It was only on for a few hours in the "About Champions" section of the website. It was probably a mistake and was accidentally leaked onto the website. But now we know :D.

okay, thanks!

huh. I hope it's cool.

wlg

It doesn't really matter if it is or isn't. In no way does it affect the pure role-playing game because it doesn't use the HERO System. It's just a video games using the Champions characters. Also, Champions books will still be made in the future so we didn't lose anything, thankfully :).

I can't believe they SOLD the IP instead of licensing it like they should have.

It sounds like they have retained some creative control, or at least creative input, and now have a greater pool of creativity because of the deal. Also, I'm sure that Darren and Steve would not have made the deal in this manner if they did not think they got something out of it.

Oh, this is going to get depressing. DoJ is going to have to pay through the nose every quarter to shore up an MMORPG that nobody wants.

Cryptic created City of Heroes/Villains, which has I'm told 150,000 players and is four years old. Granted, they no longer own that property, but the same people are going to be working on the new game. As such, the statement that no one will want it seems premature.

Besides which, the few details that were revealed in Game Informer make it sound really cool.

Forget 6th edition in '09, they'll be lucky to see Q4 of '08.

They've survived the current gaming market, I see no strong reason to believe they won't get through this, even if, as I doubt, things go poorly.

The first announcement is the MMORPG and the second announcement is 6th Edition.

Technically, it's the other way around, but I'm just being picky.

It doesn't really matter if it is or isn't. In no way does it affect the pure role-playing game because it doesn't use the HERO System. It's just a video games using the Champions characters. Also' date=' Champions books will still be made in the future so we didn't lose anything, thankfully :).[/quote']

Games not out yet, too soon to say if it doesn't use the HERO system. Certainly, it will be modified, but it may be recognizable. The little we've seen is still in the planning stages, computer games often look very different in their final form.

Games not out yet' date=' too soon to say if it doesn't use the HERO system. Certainly, it will be modified, but it may be recognizable. The little we've seen is still in the planning stages, computer games often look very different in their final form.[/quote']

No, they actually said it wouldn't have the HERO System in it. It's a fact :D