Nature + Fire = What?

Ocelot

I need a little help with my new campaign...

One of the basic premises of the campaign is that there are eight Primal Elements, the foundation of all magic.

These eight elements can also be combined into 36 non-primal elements. For example, Fire and Earth make Lava. Air and Water make Ice. Magic and Spirit make Dream. Et cetera, et cetera.

I've figured out what 35 of them are. I'm really stumped on the the 36th.

What do Fire and Nature magic make?

Feel free to run wild. Think of something you could base a whole group of spells on, and something you'd like to see as an elemental. So, please don't say "Charred Wood." There will be no Charredwoodamancers in my campaign. ;-)

PLEASE HELP!

Thank you.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Nature + Fire = What?

First, thank you for all your help.

Second, I really feel like I've got myself in a bind on this one. Painted myself into a corner, as it were...

Conflicts that I see so far...

Most if not all of these could be created with different combinations but I'll have a go anyway.

Smoke?

Thank you for having a go, but...

Smoke = Fire + Air (in my world, not always).

Oil/Coal?

Possible, but doubtful. See below.

Fury/Rage?

Love/Passion?

Alas, Spirit plus Water is "Emotion" in my campaign.

Madness?

Fire and Spirit = Insanity.

Blood?

Life Energy? As in the heat or energy within a living being.

I actually went with this for a while - Life. I thought about Blood, but passed. Life is what I've got, but I don't know what Life magic would do, since Nature and Spirit are Healing magic, and between Spirit and Healing, that pretty much sums up "Life," right?

Fear? Anger? Renewal? Cooked meat?

Fear/Anger, see emotion. Renewal? Mmm...

Cookedmeatomancer has a certain ring to it, though.

Ash?

That sounds suspiciously like ground up charred wood. ;-)

Maybe a better way to phrase it, to wrap our minds around it so I can better beg for your help, is...

What kind of spells might a pyromancer and a druid both be able to cast? That don't involve storms or lightning?

Thanks,

Ocelot

Renewal is the first thing I thought of too. Rebirth' date=' etc.[/quote']

While I like the phoenix connotations, the powers of healing and regeneration are going to be under the auspices of "Healing" magic, which doesn't leave Renewal with a very large domain.

In my game, I have something called Death Magic (sometimes called Dragon's Fire), it has some aspects of Fire and when you are touched by it, it doesn't just burns not your flesh, but drinks the very essence and grows stronger from it.

Some call it a poison, some call it an addiction, even the toughest of pyromancers don't play with Dragon's Fire lightly.

I would probably call this Water + Fire. But how about Acid?

The magic of Life Energy would be all about motion and heat, playing with people's energy levels or body chemistry to affect their emotions or damage them somehow. Spells would include a NND Killing Attack that just raises the core temperature of the body, but you could also cloud the senses or make people high, give someone extra stun or end (feeding them extra energy) or take it away. A cool little spell could be called Scales of Energy, drains End from an opponent and pulls it right into you or an ally.

It wouldn't be able to heal people but it could give them temporary Body and Stun which keeps them going but vanishes after the fight, at best you could speed up the natural healing process and give someone Regeneration for a while. You could also have spells of Frenzy or whatever but I guess you don't want to stray too far into the territory of Madness.

Otherwise I agree that you should post the list, we're all firing shots into the dark here.

I actually went with this for a while - Life. I thought about Blood, but passed. Life is what I've got, but I don't know what Life magic would do, since Nature and Spirit are Healing magic, and between Spirit and Healing, that pretty much sums up "Life," right?

Nope. Life is also Animation, the power of voluntary movement. You could Animate inanimate matter, or living matter which is normally very slow, like plants. Life is Growth, becoming more mature, or becoming larger and/or stronger and tougher. Life is Reproduction, creating more of itself (Duplication or Summoning).

If we could see the entire grid, maybe get an idea what's generally being called for, might make it easier to come up with an answer.

Everything that comes to my mind is fairly abstract.

"Fertility" perhaps?

You know... I see Fire as an element of creation and destruction. In that contest, Fertility makes a bit of sense.

Nope. Life is also Animation' date=' the power of voluntary movement. You could Animate inanimate matter, or living matter which is normally very slow, like plants. Life is Growth, becoming more mature, or becoming larger and/or stronger and tougher. Life is Reproduction, creating more of itself (Duplication or Summoning).[/quote']

This is an excellent suggestion. Also, there can be a difference between "healing" magic, and magic used to ensure fertility, if thats how you want to take it. But I think the "Fire + Nature" = Animation" is a great way to go.