WHen did The Hero system first

thaeldes

Re: WHen did The Hero system first

The original Champions! came out in 1980 or 81, from 'Hero Games.' It was followed by other games using similar systems: Justice Inc and Espionage. Then they put out Fantasy Hero. By that time, Chaosium has labeled the common mechanics of RuneQuest and Call of Cthulhu a "system" called "Basic Role Playing." Hero started refering to the common threads of thier games as the Hero System sometime after that. Arround the time GURPS came out, IIRC ('86?). (And this is all based on personal recollection).

It wasn't until 4th Edition (the BBB came out in '89, I think) that Hero published a sepparate 'Hero System Rules Book,' that was decoupled from the Champions! game. But, even then, Champions! 4th ed was published /before/ the HSR.

Ten or so years later, the 5th Edition (FRED) was published with Champions! published as a genre book, and you could finally say that the Hero System, itself, was the flagship Hero Games product.

Thank you all very much me and a co worker were arguing about when hero system had a first game and he tried to tell me that GURPS came out first.
The first edition of GURPS credited Champions as one of it's inspirations.

Okay, here's a trivia question: does anyone know when it was first referred to as the Hero System? My copy of third edition Champions says something like: "Champions: the Super Roleplaying Game is Hero Games' superhero roleplaying game using the Hero System". Does anybody know if the earlier books used similar verbiage (or has them and can check)?

Edit: Dang, too slow! :) Does anyone know if it appears prior to Justice, Inc.?

Re: When did the Hero system first

I'm glad this thread is here. I had a question I was going to post and now, it can go here. I know about 1981 since I still have a copy of the original 1st edition. However, my question goes even deeper...

exactly when did it first come out in 1981? If an exact date isn't known, what about the month? This Champions veteran wants to know. :cool:

It was released at the 1981 Origins Game Fair, which was held in San Mateo, CA that year. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find the exact dates of the convention in 1981. But (at least since 1986) Origins has always been held in late June/early July. Is that specific enough to be helpful?