S.H.A.R.D. - Super Hero Acronym Resource Directory

Supreme Serpent

Every now and then we get requests like "I want to use T.U.N.A. for an agency name - what can it stand for?" In super games there's lots of alphabet soup acronym organizations, killer robots, battlesuits and the like. So let's make a central list! Make as many entries as you like for the same words, since could be used for many different things. Good guy groups, bad guy groups, robots, power armor systems, super vehicles, whatever - if you can come up with a good acronym, put it down.

Below are some to get you started, but certainly don't restrict yourself to this list.

If you put down something already established, please note the source, like "UNCLE - United Network Command for Law and Enforcement (TV show)"

Now get to W.O.R.K.! :D

alpha anaconda Anvil Apollo AQUARIUS Ares ARIES armor asgard Athena Atlas bastion beta blood brain bulwark CANCER CAPRICORN carnage castle Chaos chimera citadel cobra COMMANDO control corruption cosmos crime Crimson CRISIS dagger death DOOM DRAGON Eagle EMPIRE evil falcon fear fortress gamma GATE GEMINI GIANT HADES HALO Hammer HARM HATE Hawk HERMES hoplite hydra IRON JACKAL justice KATANA knight lancer LEO LIBRA Lion LOCUST loki mace magic MANTA Mars mega night OGRE olympus omega Order PAIN paladin PEACE PISCES planet PLUTO power primus RAGE RHINO ROME SAGITTARIUS SATURN SCORPIO SCORPION SHAMAN SHARK shield SKULL SNAKE sparta spartan SPIDER star STEEL STORM sword TARANTULA TAURUS terror thor Tiger TIME TROLL ultra uncle until viper VIRGO war warlock WINTER witch Wolf ZODIAC

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: S.H.A.R.D. - Super Hero Acronym Resource Directory

In my game I have made a couple of references to a malady that afflicts the metahuman population. There is even a benefit concert in the works, to commemorate the death of Tachyon.

S.T.A.R.S: Superhuman Toxic Allergic Reaction Syndrome. (I.E. Susceptibility to otherwise harmless substances).

Some from the SuperSquad America Universe:

EAGLES (Elite America Group for Law Enforcement and Security) -- this group fills the SHIELD/UNTIL/Primus niche in my campaign

OASIS (Office of America Scientific Investigative Studies) -- a government-run super-science group

EUREKA (European Underground Research Establishment for Knowledge Advancement) -- a co-op of European mad scientists who share resources

rjcurrie's format works, so let's all try and stick to that.

A.N.V.I.L (Artificial Networked Violence and Infiltration League) -- A small firm that broke away from ARGENT. They specialize in custom-built androids.

Back in the 80's (OMIGOD I'M OLD!) I used H.E.A.L.E.R. which was a Project Pegasus (Marvel comics) think tank. It stood for Heroes Emergency Aid League Energy Research. A hero who was injured could get medical aid, but would have to volunteer as a guard or if they had powers to get lab ratted for the government. Always got attacked by the Ultimates.

Lots of cool stuff folks! :thumbup:

C.H.A.O.S. - Centralized Hierarchy Advancing the Overthrow of Society

H.I.V.E. - Hierarchy of International Vengeance and Extermination (DC Comics) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.I.V.E.

C.O.S.M.O.S. - Covert Order of Scientists Mandating Order and Servitude

L.A.N.C.E.R. - Laser-Armed Nuclear Combat Environment Robot

In our longstanding college Champions game, we had the traditional problem with multi GM games. As the first to run the game, I decided that they were an elite group nominally under UNTIL. And that our group acronym would be PRIDE; Paranormal Research, Investigation and Deployment Extension.

I was away from school for a few weeks during which others ran multiple beer soaked sessions, and when I returned the group was known irrevocably as

Nil.

Inebriated minds had come up with a new name for the group, the LUSH LEGION. The initials were LL, which in Roman numerals would mean fifty minus fifty, which is of course zero, or 'Nil'.

I sure lost a lot of brain cells in college.

In one of our campaigns, the superheros were known as

L.U.S.H - Louisville Undercover Super-Heroes.

In a Big Eyes Small Mouth game I played (Ranma/Tenchi style powered teens) the PCs once encountered a group named:

S.P.I.T. (Supernatural Paranormal Investigation Team)

After having to deal with them just a wee bit too long, my PC found out that they were looking for a new name, so I (on the spot) suggested:

Terrestrial Universal Research and Investigation Patrol (T.U.R.N.I.P.)

Needless to say the group's leader loved it.

I.S.I.S. - International Security Intervention Squad - An international anti-terrorist assault team.

F.L.E.S.H. - Financial and Logistic Enhancement for Super Heroes - A non-profit organizaton dedicated to helping starting Hero groups set up such things as bases, operations centers and communications gear.

In a game I ran the PCs worked for my own version of UNTIL and were members of:

S.H.A.R.D. (Strange Happenings - Assault and Reconnaissance Division)

which was a good deal better than those NPCs that were part of the Strange Happenings - Investigation Teams. :D

For years, I've been considering running an espionage-based convention event using the Hero Sytem. The event would be called "The Team from H.E.R.O." and would feature the ongoing battle between two organizations:

H.E.R.O. (Headquarters for Elite Response Operations) -- the good guy organization.

R.O.G.U.E. (Revolutionary Organization for Global Underground Enterprises) -- the bad guy organization.

Lessee...

In early Champs games we fought against S.L.I.M.E. - Soviet Liberators of Imperialistic and Materialistic Empires and S.H.A.R.K - Super Human Assassinations and Required Killings.

These days we have F.A.U.S.T. - Free and Autonomous Union of Supreme Technocrats (an A.I.M. analogue), M.A.D. - the Metahuman Affairs Department (and their enforcement arm, the M.A.D. Militia), and I.C.O.N. - the Irenic Council of Nations, sort of an independent United Nations-type organization that has their own superhumans. They'll end up as both good guys AND bad guys in their various stories.

In an Iron Age game I ran, I had a good-guy group named ANGEL. Originally it stood for "Association of Nations Grouped for the Enforcement of Law," but I decided that was ridiculous, so after a while I decided it didn't stand for anything, it was just "ANGEL."

So, uh... Any ideas for a good backronym for ANGEL? :D

Our Shadowrun group, which was headed by a Native American Warrior type called itself TOTEM: The Organization To Eliminate & Massacre. :D

Back when I was running Top Secret/SI, I made ORION less of a secret group and more of an international NATO alliance. It stood for the Organization of Regional Inteligence Operations for NATO.

I always thought a shard was a fart with a surprise in it. :nonp:

:D

Anyway, as to the topic,

WASP - We Are So Powerful

COIL - Caiman Overlords (Invisible Legion) - The Caiman Overlords were a street gang that were a recruiting source for COIL. The "Invisible Legion" was sort of their war cry because they didn't act like typical street gangs. It took a little time before the PCs/Players put "Caiman Overlord Invisible Legion" together to track down COIL; however, when they did, they got a beating worthy of COIL.

I've actually used this name for a poorly conceived campaign of parahuman children suppossedly being trained to use their abilities: Super Heroes In Training

In a similar vein... American Special Security Headquarters Of Law Enforcement