Disads for Dana Scully

Catseye

Okay, I'm stuck... this is what I have so far...

Psychological Limitation: Skeptic (Common, Strong) [Notes: Must try to find a rational explaination for any non-religous phenomenon.]

Psychological Limitation: Catholic (Uncommon, Moderate)

Hunted: Watched by the FBI 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Watching)

I need 50 pts total. I'm short 15.

Help?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Disads for Dana Scully

Distinctive Features: Most Beautiful Woman Ever Televised

(With the exception of Kris Ziemer, if you consider starring in a commercial being "televised."

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary notes that Lucius seems to be confusing the actress with the character, and kicks him soundly in the head.

I'd consider a Distinctive Feature.

A description of Dana from the "Jose Chung's From Outer Space" episode:

"One of them was disguised as a woman, but wasn't pulling it off. Like, her hair was red, but it was a little too red, y'know?"

And a similar description of Mulder, by the same character:

"And the other one, the tall, lanky one, his face was so blank and expressionless. He didn't even seem human. I think he was a mandroid."

I'd consider a Distinctive Feature.

A description of Dana from the "Jose Chung's From Outer Space" episode:

"One of them was disguised as a woman, but wasn't pulling it off. Like, her hair was red, but it was a little too red, y'know?"

And a similar description of Mulder, by the same character:

"And the other one, the tall, lanky one, his face was so blank and expressionless. He didn't even seem human. I think he was a mandroid."

Can I rep Charles Nelson Reilly? :D

How is being Catholic a disadvantage? Just wondering.
In general, I'd say it isn't. But in the specific case of Scully, with the adventures she participates in, I'd say it is. It restricts her actions (which is all that's required to be a Disad... Disads don't have to be negative, after all) by causing her to view some things she encounters in a different way than the preponderance of evidence she finds would support.

In other words, to some extent, and within the world of the X-Files only, clinging to Catholic teachings in the face of contrary evidence is almost a sort of delusion. I'm not saying it's a delusion in real life... just that for Scully specifically, given what she's seen and what she knows, clinging to it is probably an irrational reaction.

In general, I'd say it isn't. But in the specific case of Scully, with the adventures she participates in, I'd say it is. It restricts her actions (which is all that's required to be a Disad... Disads don't have to be negative, after all) by causing her to view some things she encounters in a different way than the preponderance of evidence she finds would support.

In other words, to some extent, and within the world of the X-Files only, clinging to Catholic teachings in the face of contrary evidence is almost a sort of delusion. I'm not saying it's a delusion in real life... just that for Scully specifically, given what she's seen and what she knows, clinging to it is probably an irrational reaction.

Hmmm....I'm not sure I see it as restricting her actions and I don't see how what she encounters is contrary to Catholic teachings but then again, it isn't my game so....

Okay, I'm stuck... this is what I have so far...

Psychological Limitation: Skeptic (Common, Strong) [Notes: Must try to find a rational explaination for any non-religous phenomenon.]

Psychological Limitation: Catholic (Uncommon, Moderate)

Hunted: Watched by the FBI 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Watching)

I need 50 pts total. I'm short 15.

Help?

I think you'll make people mad if you say being Catholic is a disadd...how about Devout instead?

For your last 15 how about Subject to orders?

Hmmm....I'm not sure I see it as restricting her actions and I don't see how what she encounters is contrary to Catholic teachings but then again' date=' it isn't my game so....[/quote']For me, it's like this...

If she encounters an unexplained phenomenon that's seemingly cloaked in the garb of, say, alien spacecraft, then her "Skeptic" Disad colors how she interprets the evidence. She is unlikely to accept that it was really alien-related, even if that's where the evidence points.

If she encounters an unexplained phenomenon that's seemingly cloaked in the garb of a religious experience that her belief system supports, then her "Catholic" Disad (or perhaps more accurately, as Pinecone notes, "Devout") colors how she interprets the evidence. She is more likely to accept that it really was a religious experience, even if the evidence doesn't point there.

Mulder is too quick to accept that things are alien-related, and too slow to accept that things are religion-related. Scully is too slow to accept that things are alien-related, and too quick to accept that things are religion-related. :)

All within the context of the X-Files universe, of course. And all IMO. :)

Hmm...

Hunted: The Lone Gunmen, More Powerful, 11-, Watched = 10 Points

I put them as More Powerful; while they don't have the FBI resources to call upon, they are fairly powerful individuals in that universe and they have an almost unlimited freedom of movement and action.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lone_Gunmen

p.s. The first batch of non-superhero characters I ever wrote for the Hero System were Mulder, Scully, Colombo, Monk, and the then-sidekick of Monk (Sharona) :)

I think you'll make people mad if you say being Catholic is a disadd...how about Devout instead?

For your last 15 how about Subject to orders?

Well... it was short hand for "adhears strongly to Catholic theology." Its as much a disad as being a skeptic... its a limitation on your POV and what you can accept. It also IS somewhat limiting on actions. You might consider those good limits... but then again most of us consider "code against killing" a good limit too-- and it counts.

I'll expand it just to make it clear.

Subject to orders is really good... but I'm torn between that and "Higher Moral Standard: Must protect innocents over herself."

Thanks guys.

Btw... a number of you guys would hate my write up.

I only gave her a 14 COM. IMHO she's very cute, but shes not drop dead gorgeous. What i think your actually responding to her presence, which I gave her 16, and her intellect, which is 18.

The palindromedary notes that Lucius seems to be confusing the actress with the character, and kicks him soundly in the head.

I have this vauge feeling that you and I were on the UW-Madison "Dartboard" at the same time in our distant past.... would that be correct?

How is being Catholic a disadvantage? Just wondering.
You're obviously not an ex-catholic.... ;)

Seriously, though, any strong belief that would limit your behavior from what is the campaign normal baseline or restrict your ability to deal with some situations you encounter could be a disad. Any religion could qualify. OTOH, IRL, such beliefs can help people get through tough situations - giving a religious character a good EGO or PRE or Resistance might be apropriate, too.

Also, when it comes to shooting people, Scully seems very competent and not particularly 'reluctant' (not gleeful or anything, just not enclined to hesitate or get all broken up over it after), whereas Mulder certainly has at least the default 'reluctance to kill' - and also just isn't that good at it.

I begin to understand why some people want to call them something other than "Disadvantages....."

Any religion can be a "Disadvantage" in game terms. It helps define the character in terms of beliefs, attitudes, often membership in a particular community, a code of conduct, etc.

Even Atheism could be a disadvantage (although in many cases it would constitute a "Social Limitation" as a member of a hated and mistrusted group.)

In this character's case it is probably not worth much (as a disadvantage!); I don't remember it coming into play that often (but then, I saw a lot less of the X Files than I might have liked. Sometimes I do wish I had a TV....only sometimes though.)

The character may have a COM as low as 12; the actress has at least 18, probably 22 (and Distinctive Features and/or Social Limitation: Most Beautiful Woman Ever to Star in a Television Series.)

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary would nominate Lucius Alexander as Most Opinionated Person at Hero Games Dot Com, but looks around and concludes there is a lot of competition.

In this character's case it is probably not worth much (as a disadvantage!); I don't remember it coming into play that often (but then, I saw a lot less of the X Files than I might have liked. Sometimes I do wish I had a TV....only sometimes though.)

It was central to a couple of sub plots. The all knowing Wikipedia can fill you in.

The character may have a COM as low as 12; the actress has at least 18, probably 22 (and Distinctive Features and/or Social Limitation: Most Beautiful Woman Ever to Star in a Television Series.)

lol Beauty, they say, is in the eye of the beholder.

**insert obligatory DnD joke **