Mind Slayer

Tribal

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Mind Slayer

Interestingly, the opinions expressed about this character on the Cryptic discussion forums have included a lot of criticism, mostly about how similar the character is in powers and look to Marvel Comics' Psylocke; although the "cheesecake" nature of her costume has also drawn a few jabs.

BTW it appears from Mind Slayer's history blurb that PSI is still up and running as an organization in the Cryptic-ordered Champions Universe, not broken as described in Champions Universe: News Of The World. If true, my condolences to Darren and Steve for the reversal, but I for one approve. :thumbup:

BTW it appears from Mind Slayer's history blurb that PSI is still up and running as an organization in the Cryptic-ordered Champions Universe, not broken as described in Champions Universe: News Of The World. If true, my condolences to Darren and Steve for the reversal, but I for one approve. :thumbup:

Darn transdimensional mental illusion really messed with Darren and Steve apparently. What else do you expect from those sneaky mentalists, faking their fall?

Well I think they are starting to get the concept. Each new concept art gets more supervillainey.....

It looks like they are actually reading the various boards and adjusting the character styles. They most likely will go back and adjust the earlier ones once they settle on an overall look and feel.

Well I think they are starting to get the concept. Each new concept art gets more supervillainey.....

It looks like they are actually reading the various boards and adjusting the character styles. They most likely will go back and adjust the earlier ones once they settle on an overall look and feel.

I have to wonder how much help these postings about character art and concept have actually been. I've noticed that there's something of a divergence of opinion between the folks who post here (mostly Champions PnP RPG fans AFAICT) and those who post exclusively on the Cryptic forums. The latter may be coming from more of a MMORPG background, and have different expectations. At the very least many of them seem to lack experience with the PnP game, and so aren't as familiar with the original characters as most of us here.

I have to wonder how much help these postings about character art and concept have actually been. I've noticed that there's something of a divergence of opinion between the folks who post here (mostly Champions PnP RPG fans AFAICT) and those who post exclusively on the Cryptic forums. The latter may be coming from more of a MMORPG background' date=' and have different expectations. At the very least many of them seem to lack experience with the PnP game, and so aren't as familiar with the original characters as most of us here.[/quote']

That would explain the giant shoulderpads on Ironclad.

jg

They most likely will go back and adjust the earlier ones once they settle on an overall look and feel.
I'd bet against this (though I wouldn't bet big money). They've already invested a fair bit of time, energy, and money into what they posted for Ironclad and Defender, and while it's certainly possible that they'll go back and redo them to something more familiar they do have expectations for these characters.

My hope is that for most remaining characters they give the artist in charge pictures of what the character in question has looked like in the past, along with guidelines to any desired changes, and then have them go from there.

Anyone remember the original illo of Mind Slayer from the first Enemies book? No disrespect intended to Mark Williams' date=' whose character illos I mostly quite enjoyed; but just about anything would be a step up from that one.[/quote']

True. When she was revised in the Mind Games suppliment (1989 Scott F. Heine), she got a much better look. :winkgrin:

(Still, Mark Williams's work for the original Champions was wonderful for most of the characters. :) )

Scott Heine's "goth/punk" look for the character, with a cigarette dangling from her hand, really defined Mind Slayer's personality IMHO. He essentially kept it for his updated picture of her in Conquerors, Killers, And Crooks.

And speaking of the redoubtable Mr. Heine:

What I'm wondering about is PSI... Will they be in there? How in the world would mental powers work in such an MMO setting and still preserve the feel of the characters? (Personally' date=' I would find extraordinary pleasure in running into Mind Slayer in game... Mwa ha ha ha!)[/quote']

Looks like he gets his wish. I'd love to hear Scott's opinion of the Cryptic version (hint, hint). :D

Scott Heine's "goth/punk" look for the character' date=' with a cigarette dangling from her hand, really defined Mind Slayer's personality IMHO. He essentially kept it for his updated picture of her in [i']Conquerors, Killers, And Crooks[/i].

And speaking of the redoubtable Mr. Heine:

Looks like he gets his wish. I'd love to hear Scott's opinion of the Cryptic version (hint, hint). :D

I don't know. I think meeting Mind Slayer in game might be a might . . . "unhealthy." :shock:

I'd bet against this (though I wouldn't bet big money). They've already invested a fair bit of time, energy, and money into what they posted for Ironclad and Defender, and while it's certainly possible that they'll go back and redo them to something more familiar they do have expectations for these characters.

My hope is that for most remaining characters they give the artist in charge pictures of what the character in question has looked like in the past, along with guidelines to any desired changes, and then have them go from there.

Well I am speaking way out of my area of knowledge, so don't flame me too hard here ;)

But I have a friend who dabbles in making animated images that look like what we are seeing. From what he has said, once the actual wireframe and shapes are created changing the skins and textures is relatively easy and I have seen him do some remarkable changes seemingly on the fly. Now I really have no idea the hows or whys, but it is possible that changing the feel/look will be more cosmetic than detailed and they will be able to do it fairly easy. Of course I also understand that a 3D Image is worlds removed from a 3D image designed to move.

In the end I put the changes into the "possible" category though I have to fully admit I don't have any idea if they will be "probable" or even close to being "worth the expenditure of effort".

Scott Heine's "goth/punk" look for the character' date=' with a cigarette dangling from her hand, really defined Mind Slayer's personality IMHO. He essentially kept it for his updated picture of her in [i']Conquerors, Killers, And Crooks[/i].

totally agreed

but her new MMO look is not too bad either