Enter Fluffy (or "Aw, can't we keep 'em?")

Wormhole

Another strange object has fallen to Earth in the woods outside Campaign City. Going out to investigate, your character and company find a tiny escape pod-like craft at the bottom of the still steaming impact crator. A trail of what look like paw prints leads out deeper into the woods. Following them, you come across a cute, lavender-colored alien animal that resembles a Welsh Corgi puppy. About the same time, a pack of hungry-looking wolves surround the creature and are about to close in for the kill when it suddenly morphs into a shaggy, monsterous form that would make Lovecraft's monsters look like Care Bears. With one terrifying roar, it sends the wolves fleeing with their tails between their legs. With the wolf pack finally gone, the creature immediately morphs back into its cuddly form, runs and leaps into the arms of the most appropriate member of the party, and affectionately licks his/her face. WWYCD?

Re: Enter Fluffy (or "Aw, can't we keep 'em?")

Mole - He loves animals, and would be totally for keeping Fluffy. Heck, he might even give Fluffy to his mom as a new guard dog. Take that, VIPER! of course, someone might point out that they need to make sure this creature is SAFE.... the spoilsports.

Mole - He loves animals' date=' and would be totally for keeping Fluffy. Heck, he might even give Fluffy to his mom as a new guard dog. Take that, VIPER! of course, someone might point out that they need to make sure this creature is SAFE.... the spoilsports.[/quote']

I for one think this creature is totally safe. It just has an ability similar to a Puffer Fish to scare off predators. Though its flesh might be poisonous, so I would not recommend eating it.

These are all my opinion and do not reflect the opinion of starter of this thread.

The character it would probably end up with is Volt, since he likes animals and they like him. He'd ask Olorin to check out it's safeness, and if safe; adopt it. Maybe take it out on patrol if it had good defenses or could be given some. He'd name it 'Phred" (not after the Doonesbury character; he had the name for pets before that.) or maybe Phydeaux (fido).

If not Volt, it would be Olorin. Would be the same as above except for the name. He would call it Fluffy in the Lovecraftian mode and "Killer" in the cute mode.

If it jumped in Black Tiger's arms, it's obviously suicidal.

If it jumped in Futurian's arms... "What do I do with this? What is it? Get it off me! Oh God, is it tasting me?" Not a pet person, but would not hurt it.

ColdFire: "Well, we don't have one of those yet. Let's take it back it the mansion."

(It's important to note that ColdFire's teammates include a semi-malfunctioning cyborg, a human-sized amoeba, a Ridley Scott-style alien, a vampire, and a superpowered burn victim whose skin/flesh has never quite grown back. On the team's Weird-S***-O-Meter, this thing barely even registers.)

Badger- Well he lives in the woods neighoring the city, so he would probably be first on the scene. And he would probably be the most appropriate. He hates people (well those that dont leave him alone), so taking in a pet would be more appropriate. And it'd probably be better keeping him in his cave/neighboring woods than the middle of downtown.

Frosty Bob- Hoo-hoo-hoo. Aint it cute. (Note: this is referring to the Lovecraftian looking form not the corgi version. :thumbup:) Keeps him as a sort of hunting dog..err.. or something :rolleyes:

Nighthawk. Thinking back to his comic collection and remembering Miracleman and that Steppenwolf creature, he would take the long term view. Pick up the cute little thing, scratch it's chin and rip it's head off before it could change. 'Cos if a cute little puppy thing could become that giant ravening beast, he'd hate to have the adult version running loose.

Vitus would find this curious. Certainly worth investigating for magic. Glamours aren't his field, and spell-like abilities frequently frustrate him, but this would probably be worth persevering for.

Certainly kept it around the apartment, if Mrs Rosenbaum agrees. The more horrifying aspects of it's biology wouldn't phase him at all - his late familiar was a great-dane sized scorpion, after all, and they got along just fine ( Sutekh particularly liked being tickled under the chelicerae )

Zero... not so much - His telepathy would pretty promptly determine its temperament and intelligence, but Zero doesn't want a pet running around damaging his collection of 50s Americana.

Night Tooth: Drain its blood. STAT.

van Gurthuar: Hand it off to someone else. Do some detection spells. If that's not enough, get it to the sanctum (hopefully restrained &/or unconscious) and contact some entities to find out WTBF it is.

Phaedra "Fade" Starr: Mutter about being stuck in a Pulp-iverse (again). Look up folx in the "mystic world" for help.

While I (and my characters) would echo the sentiments of those who say "Fluffy" should be handled cautiously, I'm a little troubled by the thought of heroes who would cut to the quick and just kill the creature without finding out for sure if it's a threat or not. For all they know, yamamaru's Puffer Fish theory might not be too far off the mark. All it really did in this situation was scare off some predators that were about to eat it. It has a sense of self-preservation the same as any other living thing, that's hardly enough in and of itself to make it a dangerous monster.

Tamlyn- Would be impressed at it's ability to scare off potential threats and shape. She would keep him.

Gwendolyn - 'Aww, puppy!' Can we keep, can we huh huh?!" She'd want to keep him/her and it would be difficult to convince her that they need to get rid of it.

Iron Alloy - Not always having the most common sense would squee ooh and ah over the cute little vicious puppy and want to keep him. She then names his "George".

Darkness - Holds the thing as though it may bite her any second but doesn't drop it. "Hmmm...good...doggy...thing. I may have a use for you...once I secure your loyalty...and have some tests run."

Iron Alloy - Not always having the most common sense would squee ooh and ah over the cute little vicious puppy and want to keep him. She then names his "George".

Gossamer form Bugs Bunny cartoons "I'd love him, and squeeze him, and call him George!" Yeeks!

Gem: (physicist in alien suit): She'd echo the notion "Do we fight it, study it, or recruit it?" Her impulse: study, till we know more.

(Speaking): "Hmm. Don't know if you folks without gloves should touch this little creature."

Thinking: "If it's a shape-shifter, we put it under glass; give it a whirl under the microscope, then try the electron.

Maybe the puffer fish analogy is a good theory, but I'm not letting it have run of the base til I know more. No, I don't mean chain it up in a dungeon. I mean treat it well. Find out what it eats. [under breath: Hope it's not us.]

Blade: Olorin! Stop with the magical illusions, and . . . . All right, all right. Let's say it's real.

Nice defense . . . Wonder what it turns into next if I throw a few stars then hit it with a thrown blade or three?

I still say it's a trap. May even be some genetic reprod from VIPER. VIPER does that all the time. Alien ship, nothin'. Dime a dozen these days; best way to get sympathy is pretend to be alien.

Ooh, no! No. You wanna keep it? YOU carry it. I won't be caught dead with a lavender Corgi. Especially if it really was one.

[mutters in French]: Idiotes!

[sigh.] Well, if it's gonna stay, best make sure my blades are sharp. Think we're gonna need 'em.

• 7 months later...

While I (and my characters) would echo the sentiments of those who say "Fluffy" should be handled cautiously' date=' I'm a little troubled by the thought of heroes who would cut to the quick and just kill the creature without finding out for sure if it's a threat or not. For all they know, yamamaru's Puffer Fish theory might not be too far off the mark. All it really did in this situation was [i']scare off some predators that were about to eat it[/i]. It has a sense of self-preservation the same as any other living thing, that's hardly enough in and of itself to make it a dangerous monster.

Until a GM gets ahold of the thing.

Hermes: Lives too mobile and hazardous of a life for a pet, normally. . . but hey, if Artemis approves of the critter, I'm sure he could find the time to take care of it. Or at least find it a safer home.

As for turning into some horrific giant form in response to danger? Meh, its not like he's not best friends with someone who does that, herself. . .

Soulbarb is not a pet person. She doesn't know much about aliens either. She is from Houston though... maybe someone from NASA could help.

Sylph would find it cute, mostly, and she can certainly appreciate the motivation to change forms into something fairly scary, when in danger. She's just not sure she's the best person to look after a pet. She doesn't really have time to take it for walks or anything. Odds are very good she'll call up UNTIL and find out what, if anything, she's supposed to do when confronted with a cute alien puppy-monster-thing.

Beastwarden would be fascinated. He'd be all for studying it, but not with a microscope or scientific tests. He'd be far more interested in just letting it do it's thing and observing it. As an animal shapeshifter, he'd be very curious to see if he could bond with it sufficiently to be able to adopt the puppy's form and abilities himself. :eek:

Apart from the fact that anything that makes Lovecraft monsters look like Care-bears would have us all gibbering on the ground...

Fore-eyes: "You want him? Fine but if I get any inkling of him being unsafe he's to be put in a nice safe alternate dimension. Are we clear ladies?"

Hardball: "Did you see that? I don't care if it's a defensive trait, so is a stone-fish's spikes or skunk's smell. All we need is for it to get scared again and it might kill us before it has a chance to calm down. Now put it down and we'll back away...stop following us... Nice Xenomorphic Alien ... we don't want to frighten you ... All right it's got short legs let's just RUN!!!"

Karma:"Whose a nice monster? Whose a nice Monster? You are...Yes You are..." (she's 'the most appropriate person').

Sangina: (See Karma Above)

Silvermoon: "O.k. I say we see if it's as good against Werewolves. If so I say we let her keep him and take him with us on hunts."

Athame:"I understand where both of you are coming from. Yes he's cute, yes he might be of use to us, but until we are better informed about what he is and where he came from I thoink we should hold off on making a decision. ET's are not our bailiwick. Does anyone know whose they are? Maybe the astronomy club would know... All right I'LL ask them... Goddess you two are a pair of cowards. Killing Werewolves? Vampires? Things from Beyond? No problem, but ask you to speak to a bunch of science geeks..."