Foods for those that just don't care anymore

nexus

I've been eating hot peppers and spicy foods since I was a little kid, but I've never understood the desire to find the hottest food possible. All you have to do is get pure capsaicin (the stuff that makes hot things hot) and drink it. There! You've had the hottest thing possible. Yippee for you.

For me, it's about a pleasant level of heat coupled with great flavor. Both are key!  And, yeah, you naturally build up a tolerance for heat over time, so you have to occasionally up the heat level. But even after all these decades, there is still such a thing as too much habanero for me. I can't even imagine eating much of any of the really hot peppers, let alone the "hottest pepper in the world" contenders.

Incidentally, my new favorite sauce is Marie Sharp's Fiery Habanero Pepper Sauce. That stuff is awesome. It's also available in a couple of less-hot versions: Mild and Hot. All taste great. The medium the habanero is delivered in is pulped carrot, surprisingly to me. But it's fantastic stuff...

In college, I was at a cast dinner for a play I was in at a Chinese restaurant and small peppers were making the rounds. Guys were showing how macho they were by eating them straight.

I had no pretense to being macho, so I took one and swallowed it whole with a swig of water.

I love the peppers Thai restaurants use to season dishes, but anything with habaneros or jalapenos just tastes hot to me, no actual flavor. Never going near a Carolina reaper.

I like the flavor of habañeros but not the heat. Jalapeños taste very metallic to me. (Of course, I don't like bell peppers either.)

I like the flavor of habañeros but not the heat. Jalapeños taste very metallic to me. (Of course, I don't like bell peppers either.)

I agree, habañeros are delicious!

I do enjoy jalapeños, but I agree that there's not a lot of flavor there. Eating pickled jalapaños is like eating pickled cucumbers: you mostly taste the pickling stuff. 

A girl I knew back in the 90s made a fantastic salsa using fresh jalapeños. I remember she used to put on rubber gloves to handle them.

I used to like Mrs. Renfro's hot pickled jalapeños, but then they started making them in India and the taste changed. It went from being something I enjoyed, to something I couldn't stand to eat.

These days, I buy the Mezzetta's brand hot pickled jalapeños. Like Renfro's, they're crunchy, which I prefer. I enjoy them on burgers, nachos, and the like, even though they don't bring much heat for me any more. It's mostly about the coolness (I keep them in the refrigerator) and the crunchiness, with the little bit of vinegar bite. I guess I use them like most people use pickled cucumbers on a burger, really.

As you may already know, Oreo is holding a contest to find a new flavor. To make sure I came up with something new, of course I looked up flavors that already exist, and... wow. I had no idea. A lot of the weirder flavors are international only, but a few unexpected items jumped out at me.

71ig-Tzo-yL._SX522_.jpg

41NlBgfja7L.jpg

61k95SuGCSL._SX522_.jpg

Good gods, why??

As you may already know, Oreo is holding a contest to find a new flavor. To make sure I came up with something new, of course I looked up flavors that already exist, and... wow. I had no idea. A lot of the weirder flavors are international only, but a few unexpected items jumped out at me.

71ig-Tzo-yL._SX522_.jpg

41NlBgfja7L.jpg

61k95SuGCSL._SX522_.jpg

Good gods, why??

Those don't seem so much bad tasting as tooth achingly sweet to eat more than one an hour.