Foods for those that just don't care anymore

nexus

LBP's latest contribution to the culinary world: Spratorade. Namely, half Sprite, half Cool Blue flavor Gatorade. Not half bad. 

And we had French toast for breakfast this morning. After putting the syrup on top, I saw that there was sone applesauce left over, so I put that on top, too.

Oh. My. Word.

Ladies and gents, it was delightful. Almost transcendent. How have I never done this before?

(Oh, and and amusing anecdote to go with it. As he watched me making breakfast, LBP asked, "Is that all you have to do?" And I said, "Well, you just have to mix some milk and eggs and vanilla and cinnamon." He said, "And put the bread in it." "Yeah, then you put the bread in it." "And then you just put it in the pan and it's French toast?" And I said, "Yeah, that's all you have to do." So I think the next time I make French toast, I'm probably getting help. Which is cool. I want to make sure that he knows how to cook, because that's a skill everyone should have.)

"That's all you have to do?"

Yep.  Sure, there's plenty of fancy stuff, but 90% of cooking is Really That Simple.  Along with some basic knife skills (and good knives), then temperature control.  Too cool a pan can be as bad as too hot.  Simple trick there...pan-grilled sandwiches.  I get the pan hot, apply oil to one side of the bread, and put that side down first.  Flip, and cheese can melt on that side.  Add-ons?  Deli meats...ham and/or turkey.  My local market has shaved beef.  Burger...that takes longer to cook but it just goes on first.  I may also just fry up 1-2 eggs;  I've got some egg rings to keep them contained.  Grilled cheese and egg sandwich?  Sure.  Or ham, egg, and cheese...I cut back on the ham.  

The only routine breakfast cooking at my house is me making oatmeal.  And the secret to that is ... when you pull it off the heat, cover it and let it stand for 10 minutes or so, then serve. 

The recipes all say to do that, but I didn't take them seriously until after the morning when I was interrupted by a caller at my front door while I was in the late stages of cooking it.  When I finally got free of the whomever it was, the oatmeal which I'd pulled off and covered was far superior to anything I'd made before.

Condiments for it are purely personal preference.  My wife likes butter, brown sugar, and dried fruit (either dried  cranberries or dried cherries).  (Hobbes the cat liked butter enough to lick out her bowl when she was done; none of the surviving cats have the same taste for it.)  I like milk, artificial sweetener, and pecan bits, and very occasionally flaked coconut.

So, back to my Marlborough Pie...

It's giving me stress, because the 1st attempt was a bit too eggy & boozy.  I ask around on some cooking forums I frequent and figure out how to tweak it for Thanksgiving week, especially since I've been asked to make 3 pies.  I feel GOOD...

...aaaaaaaand the hubby's brothers said "Ooops, forgot to tell you -- more people are making desserts! Can you only make 1 pie for Thanksgiving -- and can it be a normal blueberry?"
 🤬

From the book Mad Science 2: Experiments You Can Do At Home, But STILL Probably Shouldn't by Theodore Gray:

Bacon is fattening because it contains a lot of chemical energy tied up in its proteins, and especially in its fat. You can release that energy either by digesting it or by burning it with a healthy supply of oxygen. The challenge isn;' creating the heat; it's engineering a bacon structure strong enough to withstand the stress of a 5,000°F bacon plasma flame.

I used prosciutto (Italian for "expensive bacon") because it is a superior engineering grade of meat.

This is from the chapter titled "The Other White Heat", wherein he uses bacon to cut steel.

So I recently got a small bottle of good, natural orange oil…promo thing.  So…orange and chocolate, hmm.  

Usual hot choc base…sugar free Hershey syrup, special dark powder.  Heavy cream 1 part, almond milk 2 parts.  Stevia, cinnamon, and some Garam masala for a change.  Zap to warm.  Stick blender to fully mix.  Zap again til foaming.

In serving mug…5-6 drops orange oil.  Pour hot choc into mug, back into measuring cup zapped in, back again, gets everything mixed.

Oh my, the orange touch is awesome.

not exactly low fat or low calorie…but almost no carbs.  Sooooo good.