Foods for those that just don't care anymore

nexus

28 minutes ago, Cancer said:

So many of those are just wastes of good bacon.

One local supermarket sometimes has bacon-wrapped sirloins.  Sounds fine, right?
It's wrapped around the outer edges.  How is it gonna cook???

I just figured, fine.  Unwrap it, then wrap round the top and bottom.  THEN cook it normally.  Yeah, the bacon's still undercooked...so don't eat it.  I just take it off and save it until I've got enough to use in something else.  The sirloins are usually sold as a pair, so it won't be long.  2 slices will be fine for a bacon-cheese frittata.

Oh, and since the walnut pie crust (VERY low carbs, yay!) is that small size...there was substantial leftover custard.  And it is, more or less, a custard.

Into the glass baking dish.  Into the water bath.  Into the oven...actually slightly ahead of the pie, as it was set to go before the oven finished pre-heating, but I didn't boil the water in the bath ahead, so the extra time was useful.

Guess what I'm enjoying tonight. :)

Oh, and tomorrow night?  With just me, a chicken roulade...just chicken breast pounded flat...with prosciutto and havarti cheese laid on, then rolled back up (hence the name) and baked.  That'll be prepped some time tomorrow.  Altho I probably should've done it earlier when I was more upset.  Taking a meat mallet and WHACKING THE TAR out of a piece of meat is quite therapeutic.  Decided to push the chili...in this case, with a bottle of Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout to be added...to the weekend.  

I'll be making my gingerbread tomorrow morning early.  My son made several loaves of the stuff back in October, and used up all the shortening (without telling me, of course).  I can use butter instead of shortening, but most of it is frozen, so it'll have to thaw overnight.  I do have everything else I need.

This year's feast was dry-rub ribs in the Instant Pot, a sautéed cabbage in thick cut bacon, and the traditional green bean casserole. No special desserts because we both have plenty of our individualized sweets. It was fairly successful, though I screwed up a few things, especially timing. (That is my eternal weakness.) 

Even harder when cooking said dishes for a substantial number of people, unless you can do most of the prep work in advance.  Even something simple and quick, when prepared for 1-2, frequently takes rather longer for even, say, 5 or more.  Much less 10 or more...that's exacerbated by the fact that the average home kitchen isn't really set up for that many, or to allow 2-3 people to work at the same time.

My family Thanksgiving meal is Saturday at a cousin's house; today was just me picking up Chinese takeout for Mom and myself to enjoy (our local Cracker Barrel being far too covered up to be a viable option). In a couple of days I'll be gathering all the ingredients for a big Caesar-pesto salad with romaine and spinach, and assembling them on-site. Handily, prep for a recent plane trip left me with an overabundance of 1-quart freezer bags, so I can also show up prepared to facilitate leftovers for all attendees and leave with the salad bowls I brought.

On 11/13/2022 at 9:38 PM, Cygnia said:

So, back to my Marlborough Pie...

It's giving me stress, because the 1st attempt was a bit too eggy & boozy.  I ask around on some cooking forums I frequent and figure out how to tweak it for Thanksgiving week, especially since I've been asked to make 3 pies.  I feel GOOD...

...aaaaaaaand the hubby's brothers said "Ooops, forgot to tell you -- more people are making desserts! Can you only make 1 pie for Thanksgiving -- and can it be a normal blueberry?"
 🤬

My blueberry pie, ladies and gentlemen -- my HOMEMADE blueberry pie.  Not the boxed store-bought monstrosities the brother-in-law's in-laws brought for the holiday.  Don't care if I sound elitist here -- you shunt me aside for Marie Callender crap, I get PISSED.

316534190_1543545152786232_3274723376570

By the way?  My pie?  All gone now.

I was pleased to see this article on the history of a local favorite chain. Roberto's is consistently good, the pricing is very reasonable for the portion sizes (the carne asada burrito is big enough for two meals for me), and there's several scattered about on my side of Las Vegas.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/robertos-taco-shop-mexican-family-restaurant-southwest-chain-rcna48851