Foods for those that just don't care anymore

nexus

Re: Foods for those that just don't care anymore

My dad and I went to the one in Amarillo once. We split one of the "single order" meals between us and still couldn't finish it.

You mean there's a Big Texan that isn't in Amarillo?

I make it a point of stopping there every time I'm in town, which unfortunately only means thrice so far...

I make it a rule not to eat anything that I have to protect my eyes to keep the maggots that infest it from leaping into them.

And here I thought the cheese Gamalost was pretty vile.

“Take some cheese, stuff it in an old sock, bury it in manure under the barn and when it is ready, it will crawl out.”

I am SO not clicking that.

I just looked at the list of ingredients on the cupcakes I just bought.

What is Sodium Aluminum Sulfide and what does it do to the inside of my body ? Not to mention the other 49 or so chemicals in these things. :help:

From Leavening Agents

USES

IN FOOD INDUSTRY:

The SODIUM ALUMINUM SULFATE, is a high neutralizing powder leavening agent used in bakery, is slow for reacting in the dough mixing and preparing cycles, even though, it reacts quickly in the oven cycle, evolving most of the Carbon Dioxide, as a reaction product with the Sodium Bicarbonate present in the baking powder formulation. The SODIUM ALUMINUM SULFATE forms a very good dual system with Monocalcium Phosphate in double action baking powders. The SODIUM ALUMINUM SULFATE use , is the best way to enhance the properties of the baking powders, and, at the same time to reduce the formulation costs for baking powders producers.

IN GENERAL:

The SODIUM ALUMINUM SULFATE is used to dye and to print fibers, in the preparation of inks, lacquers, paper, vegetal gum, cement, porcelain, explosives, cement, tannery, water purification, in sugar mills, and also as Ammonia synthesis catalyst.

Ok, so part of me wants to go "Woooo Hooooo! I can make explosives out of cupcakes now!"

The rest is gonna go have a nice lie down....

Yea, I guess when they were making explosives in WWII that could be made into bread, they had a huge surplus.

Then there's this stuff

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C3%A1karl

and its cousin lutefisk

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lutefisk

Nothing says good eatin' like the overpowering reek of ammonia...

Hey, don't come to Seattle talking trash about Lutefisk. We still have an annual celebration of Scandinavian heritage where people seriously eat the stuff. Ballard used to be populated mainly by Scandinavian fishermen which is how the whole thing started. Now Ballard is a yuppie wasteland, but that too is another story.

http://www.myballard.com/2008/07/26/new-record-in-lutefisk-eating-contest/

Hey, don't come to Seattle talking trash about Lutefisk. We still have an annual celebration of Scandinavian heritage where people seriously eat the stuff. Ballard used to be populated mainly by Scandinavian fishermen which is how the whole thing started. Now Ballard is a yuppie wasteland, but that too is another story.

http://www.myballard.com/2008/07/26/new-record-in-lutefisk-eating-contest/

I've actually eaten lutefisk. Once. I grew up in Northern Minnesota, which is Norwegian central. I was offered it by a woman at my dad's church and, to be nice, I tried it. I will be scarred for life. Make chunky, runny jelly out of rotting fish and soap. Yum!

Here's another one: The Venezuelan Street Vendor Burger

Ingredients?

Here are the contents of the burger, appropriately named "La Diabla," or The Devilish: ketchup, mayo, mustard, onions, cabbage, shoestring potatoes, more ketchup, mayo and mustard, avocado, tomato, burger patty, chorizo, chicken, eggs and bacon, and a mountain of shredded Roquefort cheese.

ME. Want.

Here's another one: The Venezuelan Street Vendor Burger

Ingredients?

ME. Want.

So that's how the CIA plans to assassinate Hugo Chavez....

Reminds me of that scene in the Richard Dreyfuss/Raul Julia comedy Moon over Parador, in which an American actor fills the place of a dead Latin American dictator. How I loved that movie....