Foods for those that just don't care anymore

nexus

Re: Foods for those that just don't care anymore

The Wife's aunt, who moved to Tennessee sent up a bottle of BBQ sauce as a gift. I thought the best way to showcase it was a nice pulled pork sandwich. After tasting it, I think ribs would have been a better call, but the pulled pork is crazy easy to make. All you need is a crock pot and 6-8 hours (plus a pork shoulder, bay leaf, 12oz can of coke, and a medium onion, quartered)

And now I have some leftovers to try an idea my brother had. Take the leftover pork and mix it with ground beef to make hamburgers. Kinda like those stuffed burgers, but with BBQ pork shot through the whole thing. The question is what to top them with? Bacon chedder BBQ pork burger is what pops to the top of my head, but I have a nagging suspicion that there might be a better cheese out there for the job.

On the topic of odd burgers I've had lately, I had one with mushrooms and sour cream (I think it was billed as an "Aspen Burger" don't quite recall) Not bad, but I kept thinking while eating it "I could be eating a bacon cheeseburger right now" Done in by opportunity cost.

I made a nice pork green chili over the weekend. I got a big pork shoulder, seared it and then put it in the slow cooker for about 8 hours, with chicken broth, lots of green chilis, onions, tomatoes fresh from my garden, corn, garlic, and plenty of spices. About an hour before it was ready, I put in a can of pinto beans, a can of canelloni beans, and a can of great northern beans. When it was almost ready, I pulled the pork out to slice up... but the thing was so tender it just fell apart as I was trying to cut it. I ended up just using a fork to pull it apart. :) It fed 8 of us, with some leftovers for lunches this week. Yummers! :thumbup:

I made a nice pork green chili over the weekend. I got a big pork shoulder' date=' seared it and then put it in the slow cooker for about 8 hours, with chicken broth, lots of green chilis, onions, tomatoes fresh from my garden, corn, garlic, and plenty of spices. About an hour before it was ready, I put in a can of pinto beans, a can of canelloni beans, and a can of great northern beans. When it was almost ready, I pulled the pork out to slice up... but the thing was so tender it just fell apart as I was trying to cut it. I ended up just using a fork to pull it apart. :) It fed 8 of us, with some leftovers for lunches this week. Yummers! :thumbup:[/quote']

Hm, might have to try this (with fewer chilis). I really like the potential of my slow cooker, but the main thing I make is (awesome) chicken stock after making roast chicken, which I then turn into (even more awesome) chicken noodle soup. Not so much craving that when it's 100 degrees out, though.

I made a nice pork green chili over the weekend. I got a big pork shoulder' date=' seared it and then put it in the slow cooker for about 8 hours, with chicken broth, lots of green chilis, onions, tomatoes fresh from my garden, corn, garlic, and plenty of spices. About an hour before it was ready, I put in a can of pinto beans, a can of canelloni beans, and a can of great northern beans. When it was almost ready, I pulled the pork out to slice up... but the thing was so tender it just fell apart as I was trying to cut it. I ended up just using a fork to pull it apart. :) It fed 8 of us, with some leftovers for lunches this week. Yummers! :thumbup:[/quote']

That sounds delicious.

Plus you can have a bubble bath later that evening.

In one of my seasonal favorites, I made green salsa last night. About half a pound of fresh tomatillos, half a pound of various chile peppers (heavy on the mild ones, but I make sure to include a couple of hot ones) that I got at the produce stand out in the Yakima Valley. (Got the tomatillos there too, so everything is dead ripe fresh.) About a teaspoon of salt and a clove of garlic. Whir around in food processor. Let chill in fridge for a couple of hours to merge flavors. Yum.

Your selection of beans is different from mine, and I use tomatillos instead of the tomatoes, and I cube the pork and brown it first. Lots of herbs (dried basil & oregano, some smoked ground pepper since we like the smoke flavor, bay leaf, etc.). Otherwise, a pretty similar concept. Since we have relegated the slow cooker to the nephew, we cook it in the oven (about 275F for 5 hours or so). Serve over rice.

Your selection of beans is different from mine' date=' and I use tomatillos instead of the tomatoes, and I cube the pork and brown it first. Lots of herbs (dried basil & oregano, some smoked ground pepper since we like the smoke flavor, bay leaf, etc.). Otherwise, a pretty similar concept. Since we have relegated the slow cooker to the nephew, we cook it in the oven (about 275F for 5 hours or so). Serve over rice.[/quote']

Do you have the recipe scaled down to serve only one or two people?

:think: It isn't a "recipe" per se, and it would be hard to scale, since we used canned beans and AFAIK canned beans come in nothing smaller than 15-oz cans. So each can of beans represents a what is essentially most of a meal for two.

Here's what I'd try:

• You'll want to cook this in the oven in a pot with a good lid. Ideally an enamelled cast-iron pot, but others can make do. Preheat oven to 275 F, though you'll start your cooking on the stovetop.
  • One pork rib (the meaty kind, not a sparerib), boneless or not, depending on what you can find for sale in a package. Cut the meat from the bone. Cube the meat into one-inch chunks.
  • Fresh tomatillos ... by volume, probably between one and two times the volume of the meat. Remove the husks, wash them, cut into quarters.
  • A quarter of a yellow onion, chopped coarsely.
  • Two or three fresh green peppers (Anaheims, Poblanos, whatever). Use no more than one jalapeno, and more likely not even one. A strict NO on bell peppers. Wash, remove the seeds and the inner veins, cut into sort of one-inch pieces.
  • Garlic powder, dried basil, dried oregano, other seasonings if you know what you like. For those three named dried spices, a teaspoon each, in this batch. A single dried chile pepper in the pot will add flavor and spice fire.
  • If you add beans, I'd recommend either pinto or black beans.
  • Fluids, see below.

If you use beans, you don't need so many tomatillos. The tomatillos will cook down to mush.

Brown the meat in the same pot you'll bake it in. If it came on the bone brown that too. No need to be real compulsive about it; a little bit of browning on the bottom of the pot is all you're after (no need to brown the meat all over).

Add everything else. If you use any canned ingredients, rinse the cans (put a quarter inch of water in one can, pour that from can to can til the stuff from the can bottoms is suspended) and add the rinsings to the pot. Cook the bone (if there is one) with everything else. You'll want some salt, too ... a quarter teaspoon, maybe a bit more if you have no canned ingredients.

Add fluid ... chicken broth, white wine, water, all of those work. You want to have just enough fluid to cover everything.

Put the lid on the pot and put it in the oven. Bake 275 F. Approximately hourly give it a stir. You can taste it after the second hour. If there seems like too much liquid after the second hour, take the lid off and let it cook down, though you'll want to watch it carefully (every 45 min or so) to avoid too much cook-down. Should cook for five or six hours overall.

If you used a dried pepper, with an hour to go, pull the formerly dried pepper out, open it, scrape the inside with a butter knife and put that scraped-off cooked chile essence back into the pot. You can discard the outer chile leather after your scrape it; the flavor's all in that inner material and the chile husk is only sort of edible.

We serve that over rice but I've had it over bread (heels of loaf) when there's nothing else available.

My guess is this would serve three or four with no leftovers.