Stormy Relations

Kal'El Wayne

Your team-mate/fellow super Gadross, who has powers based on sound and can outplay/outsing any rock star ever, claims to be the Norse God of Rock. He also says that he is the son of Thor and his wife, the Goddess Sif. Now, whether you believe him or not, his family is in town. The God of thunder and his wife walk through the door.

It's your mom and dad.

(If your character's mom and dad aren't usually very muscley, they are now.)

They look around, see you and say, in a surprised voice...

"Name! Um, we've been meaning to speak to you."

(If the character is unrecognisable in heroic ID, it doesn't matter, Thor's a god, he'll see right through it. If the character is an orphan, etc, s/he might not recognise hir birth-parents. But they explain, give a perfectly good reason for not telling you sooner. They tell you that obviously they don't expect you to just drop your adopted parents, if any, jump into their bosom, metaphorically, and join the family. But they would like to get to know you and eventually, you will become a god of whatever your character thinks is most important to him, like Godross is God of Rock Musicians and Their Fans, Thor is God of War and Honour and Odin is God of Knowledge and poetry.

So WWYCD? And what would they eventually become God of?

Re: Stormy Relations

Your team-mate/fellow super Gadross, who has powers based on sound and can outplay/outsing any rock star ever, claims to be the Norse God of Rock. He also says that he is the son of Thor and his wife, the Goddess Sif. Now, whether you believe him or not, his family is in town. The God of thunder and his wife walk through the door.

It's your mom and dad.

(If the character is unrecognisable in heroic ID, it doesn't matter, Thor's a god, he'll see right through it. If the character is an orphan, etc, s/he might not recognise hir birth-parents. But they explain, give a perfectly good reason for not telling you sooner. They tell you that obviously they don't expect you to just drop your adopted parents, if any, jump into their bosom, metaphorically, and join the family. But they would like to get to know you and eventually, you will become a god of whatever your character thinks is most important to him, like Godross is God of Rock Musicians and Their Fans, Thor is God of War and Honour and Odin is God of Knowledge and poetry.

If Version One was in this position he would ask what evidence they have that he am anywhere near responsible and mature enough to handle godhood. This is a good question as he's only two years old and most of his memories are artificial implants. If they can't come up with a really good answer he calls them irresponsible jerks. If they can he immediately calls up all his friends and ask them if he's being too easily swayed by flattering arguments and if he really is that responsible.

However since gods were traditionally defined by their acts, not appointed to a position that means he automatically becomes the god of moral quandries and questioners of the powerful. This is nowdays quite a powerful and responsible position.

Oh this should be fun if only for Shield Maiden, a woman created by Loki to convince Thor he was her daughter.

Fallout: (Background: Fallout is a living ball of radiation, once a mortal man his body retained all radiation it was exposed to without dissipating/defusing any. After the "experiment gone wrong"...) This would trouble him greatly for years he has struggled with the loss of his humanity. To know that his parents were gods and that they may have had some means of curing him that science was not privy to would bring back a wealth of emotions he thought he had comes to terms with. as for Valhallen, he can call himself what he likes he just got renamed.

As to the question of what god Fallout might become, I think he would have to fall into to that modern god category something like the God of Strontium-89.

It's your mom and dad.

What about a robot? And don't tell me Thor built it; he's not mechanically able (put mildly). :lol:

What about a robot? And don't tell me Thor built it; he's not mechanically able (put mildly). :lol:

Assuming that Hell's Angel and Iron Maiden (same person, different powers in different games) believe them, she'd (both characters) probably slap Thor and Sif across the face and demand to know why the **** they abandoned her to be raised in poverty, neglect and abuse by two humans who were sad excuses for parents! "Good reason" her shiny metal ass!

She survived her childhood and clawed her way up out of poverty by her own efforts--sans powers--and doesn't need their help NOW. Nor is she particularly interested in getting to know parents who only now have shown any interest in her.

Badger- couldnt happen to him. Human mother is dead. Deadbeat alien dad disappeared in his younger days. Badger has a Christian background (via his mother been a very religious Catholic) so he doesnt really believe in the Norse Gods. (He'd figure if they did exist they were either ancient metahumans or some kind of alien race) In any case he essentially lived mostly on the streets after the age 11. Oh yeah, and what of his sister who died too? So, was she not his sister. Or did they just abandon their daughter to die. If the latter, not only would he disown these "parents" but vow to kill them. And even the former would result in that likely. He was very protective of his little sister. Her death would have driven him insane, if it didnt drive him eventually to his obsessive need/desire to continuously grow in power to kill his family's murderer. He has mellowed out on violence slightly since he was pardoned (which lead to his being a hero) But, anyone involved in his family's death he still hates enough to kill.

Frosty Bob- Well, he is immortal. (Deal with Death..... long story) The subject of parents never came up. (Bob has been involved with every American war since at least WWII, if not further back) So, it wouldnt be out of the realm of possiblity given nothing is known of his parents. But, it could make for a feel of George Lucas as GM or something. Nevertheless, he wouldnt be particularly interested in god-powers.

So, in both cases, it would stink of retconning.

M would laugh in their faces. Then in the face of the 'Norse God of Rock' (again; she would've done as soon as he'd claimed it). Then tell them to get the hell off her planet, because if they WERE gods, they'd've done something a long time before now about all the shite their germanic and norse folk had been doing to others; q.e.d.

And if they went and tried to go all godly on her ass, she'd whup them back to Valhalla and slam the gates, saying, "You did without Middenheim for a thousand years, we'll do without you for a thousand more."

Black Cat - I'm going to skip this one for her. The very basis of the character is a human who trained herself to her abilities. The concept that she was of divine origins would undercut the whole character concept (on par with stuff coming from Joe Q). If true it would require a complete re-envisioning of the character. She would end up the god of Combat - specifically tactical and unarmed combat.

Although if the GM was running that, for her, and I trust the GM, then the plot would be some sort of fake thing, and she actually isn't their child. She would react with disbelief and annoyance.

Ballistic would be somewhat nonplussed. He's been through so much unusual stuff in his life he would just shrug and move on. He'd guess that is where his late manifesting ability with magic came from. God of Weaponry and Technology. Or the God of Investigation.

Meeb... Well if Loki can father the world serpent, Thor and Sift can father an amoeba.... over millennia ago. He'd be the God of Gooey Green things.

Sift. That would just kick her actual origin into overdrive. She is a supermage who is a nascent Godling (although she doesn't know that yet). That would would fit right in. She'd be the God of Magic.

Terminal Velocity would freak out. His dad is dead, and his mom was a super-villainess on the run. He'd rail against his mother for never telling him. He'd be the God of Speed.

Black Cat - I'm going to skip this one for her. The very basis of the character is a human who trained herself to her abilities. The concept that she was of divine origins would undercut the whole character concept (on par with stuff coming from Joe Q). If true it would require a complete re-envisioning of the character. She would end up the god of Combat - specifically tactical and unarmed combat.

thats probably wha TUFF-MAN would become if it happend to him

Although if the GM was running that, for her, and I trust the GM, then the plot would be some sort of fake thing, and she actually isn't their child. She would react with disbelief and annoyance.

One thing to consider in this scenario is that it would be saying that Black Cat did not push her self to the upper end of human potential, she pushed herself beyond that. For this character this meeting maybe something along the lines of we have watched you since your youth and finally you are ready to know the full story. There's potential there but in a comic sense I think it's a bit of a screw to the audience. What may be a fun twist on this would be that it is an attempt to demoralize Black Cat making her question the value of her training and building confidence that it natural ability before our evil mastermind does bad things to her.

Assuming that Hell's Angel and Iron Maiden (same person' date=' different powers in different games) [b']believe[/b] them, she'd (both characters) probably slap Thor and Sif across the face and demand to know why the **** they abandoned her to be raised in poverty, neglect and abuse by two humans who were sad excuses for parents! ".

I'm voting for "Loki kidnapped her as a baby and faked her having been eaten by a wyrm."

One thing to consider in this scenario is that it would be saying that Black Cat did not push her self to the upper end of human potential' date=' she pushed herself beyond that. For this character this meeting maybe something along the lines of we have watched you since your youth and finally you are ready to know the full story. There's potential there but in a comic sense I think it's a bit of a screw to the audience. What may be a fun twist on this would be that it is an attempt to demoralize Black Cat making her question the value of her training and building confidence that it natural ability before our evil mastermind does bad things to her.[/quote']

That kind of thing was what I was referring to in the "trust the GM, and it isn't real" idea.

The training to/beyond human potential is what the character is all about. :) She maintains (and has trained some people almost to her level) that what she does is something that most anyone on the planet could do with the same intensity, motivation and work. If she were truly a child of gods, that would screw that right up. :)

Doesn't fit most of my characters, but will take the scenario as given and answer.

Volt - As a Christian, would not buy it. Also his parents are dead. At best he'd think they were immensly powerful beings, probably trying to pull something off. To answer the "god" question, self-sacrifice comes to mind.

Olorin - medieval mage from another dimension. Was asked to be a god back home and turned it down. "Oh, you guys again. Yeah right. My parents. Good joke. No, I'm not going to be a god now. Not happening. I don't care about the reasons. No way, no how, not now, not ever." If forced into it, would become the god of justice / silliness. Yeah, I know. Trust me, that's him.

Black Tiger. Oddly enough, he wouldn't swear for once. He'd laugh. He'd never believe it. Even if they made him a god. Which would be the god of righteous vengence. Not good. He'd easily lose the righteous part if not very careful.

Futurian "I always knew I was a god! I mean, look at me! Only gods look like this.... You're serious, aren't you? Ummm.... O. kay. Ahh... Crud. This changes a lot." He'd adapt with much confusion. God of high tech comes to mind quickly.

Leadman - good Catholic boy. Wouldn't buy it. Would think it a temptation/test. If became a god, it'd be the god of deduction. (God of pessimism would be too easy.)

Mask of Justice: Gets his powers from a Greek goddess, supposedly. Mind you, his teammate would be the Norse god of Swing, given the era. Would be very skeptical, though his powers would allow him to tell if they were the real thing or something else. Would want to know why his father went through that whole "goddess of justice" routine back when he gave Nick the mask.

Talion: Complete disbelief and lack of any warmth towards the supposed parents. His changeling fantasies died long ago, and it's far too late to make it up to him. And of course it would turn out to be a cruel trick to hurt him emotionally.

Knockout: Drop the mother being involved and this would work perfectly as he has no knowledge of who his father was or of the source of his powers. As far as what he would be the god of? That’s kinda tough. Maybe the God of Blunt-Force Trauma. God of Fisticuffs (he is a boxer). Patron Saint of Construction Workers. Something along those lines. It’d probably be hard to convince him of his deity-spawned origins, however.

Wouldn't fit most of my characters' date=' BUT I did once make and play a son of Zeus. That was fun :)[/quote']

If your character ever got attracted to a superpowered woman, did he phone up dad and say "Hey did you get together with about <9 months before PP's birthday>?"?

Cause if not you you could have one seriously screwed up kid. Bad enough with mom and dad as half-siblings, but add Hera trying to kill you and childhood's a nightmare.

• 2 weeks later...

Vitus, a humanoid hyena from a another world, would be *deeply* skeptical. For one thing the pantheon of his world was Mediterranean. "Does your claim seem even remotely credible to you?"

If they did try to prove it, with apotheosis, etc, Vitus would probably fall into the position of God of Artifice. Magical terraforming Von Neumann machines like giant brass scorpions dismantling the solar system, here we come.

Zero would splutter, as his conflicting emotions about his parents choke his mind, and might well become the god of matricide.

My character, being Mexican and Catholic, would be... quite surprised at this revelation.

After the initial... confusion... being, as he is, a good guy luchador with superstrength, he'd probably end up being a God of Competition or Honourable Combat.