a [can]trippy question

bubba smith

Re: a [can]trippy question

Among the definitions of Cantrip is a magic spell, done by Sorcery or Witchraft. I believe it's also British slang for a hoax or con. DnD took co-opted the term and used it for small (0-Level) spells. As to how well the term is known; How do you judge that?

I actually bought Unearthed Arcana in 1985...but not all gamers are as old and wise as me. I don't even think the term is used in the new D&D versions.

Cantrip is used on page 158 about the Wizard class for 4thed DnD. They are 1st level spells like Magehand

It became "common vocabulary" the year after I was born. Is it used very often in anything other than gaming? I've never come across it in any of the fantasy I've read. Just curious.

According to Wikipedia, it has been used in fantasy before:

In the novel, "When Darkness Falls," by Mercedes Lackey and James Mallory, a 'cantrip' is used to describe a short (one or two words, or one flick of a magic wand) spell or incantation that triggers a series of spells, or acts as a trigger that completes a much more complicated spell (which would ordinarily take hours or days of chanting and conjuring to complete). It acts as a magical shortcut or abbreviation.

Cantrip is used on page 158 about the Wizard class for 4thed DnD. They are 1st level spells like Magehand

The Cantrip was a single, versatile, 1st level Mage spell back in 2E.

Later, they introduced the Clerical equivalent, the Orison.

Cantrips and Orisons were 0 level spells in 3E.

I've heard the term cantrip long before I ever heard of DnD. Not sure where' date=' but I [i']am[/i] a sci-fi/fantasy geek, so I probably read it somewhere. It was always a fast, often simple spell.

Just for the record, I wasn't trying to imply that D&D coined the term or anything, just that it's been a common term amongst gamers for over 20 years.

I have the origional unearthed arcaina and I think that the cantrip spells there, were better than the 2nd ed catchall Cantrip. So I used my DM perogrative and brought them into 2nd and later 3rd.

The thing I liked about 2nd over 3rd was the weapon speed factor and spell casting times. There is no way a fighter with a 2 handed great sword is going to go before a thief with a dagger. And the casting time for spells put a giant "KILL ME!" sign on a wizard, keeping them from getting too powerful or becoming a crutch for the other players.

\ There is no way a fighter with a 2 handed great sword is going to go before a thief with a dagger.

Sure there is. A longer weapon means the thief is in reach of the fighter's attack well before the fighter is in reach of the thief's attack.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary says even D&D got it right sometimes.

Oh, and the word cantrip is of Scottish origin, and I believe is related to caltrop. The original meaning, I think, was "to play a trick."

If I'm not mistaken, it's only about a couple of centuries old, and has been associated with magick/witchcraft the entire time the word has existed.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary says etymology can trip you up if you're not careful.

It seems that the term is somewhat common in fantasy' date=' more so than I thought. However, this is the Champions thread. Not everyone familiar with the Super genre is going to catch a gaming/fantasy reference.[/quote']Considering fantasy is a more common genre than supers, I think most, if not all, players get it, having played fantasy.

Sure there is. A longer weapon means the thief is in reach of the fighter's attack well before the fighter is in reach of the thief's attack.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary says even D&D got it right sometimes.

if the above pair are fighting, each will roll D10, add weapon speed, minus dex bonus. if the fighter don't roll a 1. usually the thief will go first, make a half move and attack. If the thief has the 3rd ED feat "spring attack" he will move in, attack and move out of range before the fighter can do anything. the fighter will have to follow (depending on his movement) or find another target or change weapons

if the above pair are fighting' date=' each will roll D10, add weapon speed, minus dex bonus. if the fighter don't roll a 1. usually the thief will go first, make a half move and attack. If the thief has the 3rd ED feat "spring attack" he will move in, attack and move out of range before the fighter can do anything. the fighter will have to follow (depending on his movement) or find another target or change weapons[/quote']

If you really want to talk about it, can we take it to Fantasy Hero or something?

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary also reiterates that Lucius Alexander doesn't play D&D