Surprisingly Effective Builds?

matrix3

Re: Surprisingly Effective Builds?

it's munchkin like but it was not intended

My archer had a 2d6 AP (+1/2), AF-3 (+1/4), 12 RC (+1/4)

A few games later I picked up Find Weakness

I realised that it was horribly wrong when I reduced someone's rPD to 1/4 the normal and hit him three times

As a former GM, I would have balked at allowing Find Weakness and AP to work together like that. An outright ban might have been in order depending on what else was on the character sheet.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I volunteerily stoped using the two togerther. NOw realise our dem brick was throwing around a 7d6+1 HKA AF-3 and my best attack at the time was a 4d6 RKA or 12d6 EB (Later raised to 5d6 and 15d6). Other stuff, lots of trick arrows, and such...

What about in the bedroom?

:nonp:

"I said, compliment her EYES, soldier!" gets you a +2 to Seduction?

Well, the power requires my character to make a successful skill roll himself (Tactics in the case of the battlefield). So theoretically, if he made a Seduction roll, and they were willing to follow-through on his suggestions, he could give his teammates a bonus to their own Seduction rolls... :bounce:

But really, it's a role-playing thing. If using the power/skill that way doesn't make any sense at all, I wouldn't do it.

I wouldn't say that Rebus is over- or under-powered. He fits in pretty well with the group' date=' from what I've seen.[/quote']

Glad to hear it.

My character in the X-Men: TNG game has +2 Overall Skill Levels, Usable by Others (x8), with the SFX that he barks out orders and if the team follows them, they all get +2 to whatever they're doing. It has proven to be surprisingly effective.

The effectiveness of Overall Levels never surprises me. :)

Well, the power requires my character to make a successful skill roll himself (Tactics in the case of the battlefield). So theoretically, if he made a Seduction roll, and they were willing to follow-through on his suggestions, he could give his teammates a bonus to their own Seduction rolls... :bounce:

"Ok, boys, just do what I do..." :eek:

But really, it's a role-playing thing. If using the power/skill that way doesn't make any sense at all, I wouldn't do it.

This is apparently the roll that the Dr. Manhattans failed during the bedroom scene with Silk Spectre.

What was suprisingly effective was my brick with low defenses, but high REC. It was in a pretty low SPD game (most SPD's were 4-5) so that helped, but you couldn't keep this guy down. I remember he was down to like 10 STUN, took a recovery on phase 12 then got his end of 12 recovery, and was almost back to full fighting strength.

Lot of strange and fun ideas here. :) the speed suppress reminds me of my attempt to write up Clockwork... a mad scientist who messes with time-altering devices. not a pleasant combination by any means!

One idea that ended up being a lot more effective than I ever expected it to be was a DI/TK brick I had put together. He had enough DI for +40 STR, a decent forcefield, and most importantly AoE:Hex 0 END TK at 40 STR at No Range... and basically a multipower for swinging, leaping, and clinging, and a nasty last-ditch trick. I specifically avoided buying anything like AoE: Hex on STR...

... and I have been steadfastly surprised at how useful 40 TK AoE Hex strength is, even at no range. O.o It was well worth the 60 Points (in a 30 pt EC) he paid for it. I figured it would just be a weird flavor-power for his gravity well (since his own STR is 60 total with the DI), but... damn. From catching bullets that ricochet off of him (so they do not hit anyone else) to doing insanely difficult flying grabs or pulling off suplexes and nasty sweepTK/maneuver combos...

Though my favorite so far was Crunch grabbing Foxbat in the gravity sphere... and then Foxbat accidentally gassing himself when he tries to shoot his pingpong gun. O.o That was quite funny, Hermit. ;)

I had another, more obscure build I think that went further than I could have guessed, but I cannot remember it now...

OK this little number proved nicely effective for the character, my wife's SPD12 DEX49 Temporal Manipulator:

Everywhere At Once: Sight, Mental, Hearing, Smell/Taste and Touch Groups, Danger Sense, Spatial Awareness and Combat Sense Images Increased Size (16" radius; +1), +/-3 to PER Rolls, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (112 Active Points); Set Effect (Only Copies of herself; -1), No Range (-1/2)

coupled with:

Everywhere At Once: (Total: 115 Active Cost, 64 Real Cost) Indirect (Any origin, any direction; +3/4) for up to 100 Active Points of Temporal Powers (75 Active Points); Limited Power Only from Copies (-1/2) (Real Cost: 50) plus Running 20" (40 Active Points); Only "inside" Everywhere At Once Images (-1 1/2), no Noncombat movement (-1/4) (Real Cost: 14)

I don't think she was ever hit in combat.

I ran a Bowman/Martial Artist once (SILVER ARCHER - St. Louis Hero/Marshal) whose arrows were foci for a Suppression Variable Power Pool... He was incredibly potent... Huge Swinging (from a separate wrist bow) gave him a great move, Martial Artist reflexes gave him an awesome DEX/combat stats and his Suppression arrows plus Skill Levels to spare (for bouncing as well as enhanced Range & OCV/DVC) could take down just about anything (as long as he stayed conscious).

He was so effective... The GM ganged up on him with a huge bunch of villains (who all carried a grudge against SA) and... KILLED him. :eek:

It was a harsh punishment, but I have to admit that SILVER ARCHER was just a bit too potent to allow to live. :rolleyes:

HA + Double Knockback can really tear up an opponent that doesn't like ranged attacks. Then again the character that had those powers also had Uncontrolled Missile Reflection, the most people wouldn't take pot shots at him. And it was fun to watch the bodies fly.

I have a new character that should be pretty damn effective with Flight + Change Environment. He has a "Hotfoot" power that does -4 OCV, -4 DCV to an 8" radius area. This should really incapacitate agents and others who tend to bunch together. Haven't used it in combat yet, though.

Doc

• 3 months later...

4d6 HA, +1 Variable Advantage

Because of the way that HA damage stacking works, this innocuous 60-point power combined with a simple 20 STR can produce nearly any 120-point attack.

4d6 HA (8d6 with STR), Based on ECV - do more damage with a mental punch than the team mentalist can

4d6 HA (8d6 with STR), NND - outshine your blaster

4d6 HA (8d6 with STR), Autofire x5, Area Of Effect Accurate - punch anyone with a total of 40d6

4d6 HA (8d6 with STR), Double Knockback - knock enemies an average of 60 feet away, 100 feet on a good roll

For one thing, I don't see how these are 120-point attacks. An 8d6 NND is an 80-point attack, and then you're getting it at -1/2 no range. 8d6 double knockback is just 70 points. Am I being stupid again?

But something seems way wonky, since you're still getting those bonus mods on the STR for free. Why not buy just 1d6 HA and put the rest into STR? E.G., 50 STR with +1d6 HA +1 Var. advantage. wouldn't this give you an 11d6 autofire, double knockback, whatever? Or am I missing some rule that says STR is limited in how much it can help HA in the same way it is for HKA -- in other words, with +1d6 HA the most STR you could use would be 5 points?

This rule seems the opposite of how running and swimming are treated, in that you have to pay the points to apply the mods to your base running and swimming, too, but with HA you don't have to pay the points to apply the mod to your base STR? Why not?

Or am I missing some rule that says STR is limited in how much it can help HA in the same way it is for HKA -- in other words' date=' with +1d6 HA the most STR you could use would be 5 points?[/quote']

Your STR and maneuver bonuses (Haymaker, Move Through, etc) can add directly to an Advantaged HA, and reap all the advantage benefits. but if you try to add more than the base dice of HA, it prorates.

4d6 STR + 4d6 Haymaker + 4d6 Adv HA = 12d6 fully Advantaged total attack.