Surprisingly Effective Builds?

matrix3

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Surprisingly Effective Builds?

When I built a copy of Cannonball from the New Mutants, I found that it was an absurdly powerful build; it was very cheap and easy to build a character with flight, move through levels, and a force field that was amazing in combat. I put the rest of his points into detective skills and made him a private eye so he'd have something to do outside fighting.

Not surprising in retrospect, but the first time I built a summoner-type, I gave him way too many summons at once - 32, I think. It fit easily, points-wise, but after the first battle I fully utilized it, I realized how crazy it was.

Guest steamteck

My wife has a character called the Black Widow. She's kind of a female Batman ( Martial arts big time) with Spider-man's powers ( STR,DEX, SPD clinging etc.) She thinks she's a 2nd tier character because she's not as fast as the speedsters and not nearly as strong or tough as any od the bricks. She not 2nd tier.

She does a fair amount of damage and is really really hard to pin down. She not a problem but is surprising effective. She can handle major league bricks with wear down tactics unless they get lucky and she's fast enough and delivers enough damage anyone who is not invulnerable needs to watch themselves. I like when she plays her because she always seems to feel she's the little guy beating the odds.

Teleporting Martial Artists are always effective.

long-range movement + High SPEED + Huge DEX and a vast array of effective maneuvers makes them pretty dangerous. Hold, Half-Move/Attack, GONE! A good player can massage the SPEED Chart all day with one of these clowns!

I always thought Marvel's Spot was one of the most underutilized supervillains... In his case you can add Stretching (does not cross intervening space). If he ever learned some serious Martial Arts he'd be devastating! :)

I had a time-manipulating character inspired by a bad guy from Alpha Flight who could call copies of himself back from the near future. That gave him some amusing precognitive powers - it also gave him the ability to boost his SPD and Duplicate. Otherwise, he was a fairly weak martial artist, but for one turn he could be SPD12 and there were 16 of him.

He got by the GM without problem because his attacks and defences were so low, and his precognitive powers very limited. It's true he was pretty much helpless against Bricks, but against almost every other archetype he simply swamped them in a hail of puny little fists. :D

cheers, Mark

Oh, I remember that Alpha Flight character! Flashback! He's a good one to homage. Do you still have the build? I'd love to see it.

I was wanting to do a character based on Nic Cage's character from the movie Next. The movie is not great and is riddled with plot holes, but the character would make a great villain or NPC concept in a Champions game. If you haven't seen it, he could see all possible futures for himself and those around him (as long as he was involved somehow) within about two minutes and use the information to always make the optimal choice in any situation by playing them out in his mind. I think the approach would be about the same.

Along the same lines as the Quick Bricks many have posted about, Invisible Bricks can be terrifying too.

True Story:

We had a pretty typical water-based brick (like Hydroman) in a game eons ago. I don't remember anything too remarkable about him stat wise. His core power was the ability to Shapeshift into water. Remember, this changes what the character is perceived as to one or more senses. One of our adventures took place underwater (see where this is going?), so the GM decided a PER roll was needed to tell the character apart from surrounding water. It was brutal; all his move throughs hit, noone got out the way of his haymakers; every other attack was a Sweep, you get the idea. Don't be half DCV against the Brick if you can help it!

I was wanting to do a character based on Nic Cage's character from the movie Next. The movie is not great and is riddled with plot holes' date=' but the character would make a great villain or NPC concept in a Champions game. If you haven't seen it, he could see all possible futures for himself and those around him (as long as he was involved somehow) within about two minutes and use the information to always make the optimal choice in any situation by playing them out in his mind. I think the approach would be about the same.[/quote']

Is that what that movie is about? Intriguing.

This particular kind of precog works well with lucksters and hyper-intelligent characters, imo.

4d6 HA, +1 Variable Advantage

Because of the way that HA damage stacking works, this innocuous 60-point power combined with a simple 20 STR can produce nearly any 120-point attack.

4d6 HA (8d6 with STR), Based on ECV - do more damage with a mental punch than the team mentalist can

4d6 HA (8d6 with STR), NND - outshine your blaster

4d6 HA (8d6 with STR), Autofire x5, Area Of Effect Accurate - punch anyone with a total of 40d6

4d6 HA (8d6 with STR), Double Knockback - knock enemies an average of 60 feet away, 100 feet on a good roll

4d6 HA, +1 Variable Advantage

Because of the way that HA damage stacking works, this innocuous 60-point power combined with a simple 20 STR can produce nearly any 120-point attack.

4d6 HA (8d6 with STR), Based on ECV - do more damage with a mental punch than the team mentalist can

4d6 HA (8d6 with STR), NND - outshine your blaster

4d6 HA (8d6 with STR), Autofire x5, Area Of Effect Accurate - punch anyone with a total of 40d6

4d6 HA (8d6 with STR), Double Knockback - knock enemies an average of 60 feet away, 100 feet on a good roll

In fairness,

I recall seeing a ruling somewhere (Rules Forum or FAQ) by Steve stating that STR could only add to a HA with NND if it also had the Does Body Advantage (presumably this would be the case with BOECV as well).

The Autofire version will also cost 30 END before adding STR.

:rolleyes:

All of the FMove martial arts are very very effective. I built a pretty run of the mill low end speedster with speedster martial arts. I was surprised at what a quantum leap of impact 15 pts of those MA had over the traditional levels with move through / move by' date=' route.[/quote']

I was wanting to do a character based on Nic Cage's character from the movie Next. The movie is not great and is riddled with plot holes' date=' but the character would make a great villain or NPC concept in a Champions game. If you haven't seen it, he could see all possible futures for himself and those around him (as long as he was involved somehow) within about two minutes and use the information to always make the optimal choice in any situation by playing them out in his mind. I think the approach would be about the same.[/quote']

Is it a red flag that my character in the X-Men: TNG game has both FMove martial arts and precognition? :)

Of course, the GM said my character might be underpowered. I wonder if he's still saying that now...

Martial artists + are always effective but they don't surprise me when it happens. I have a template built of a martial artist lacking 50 points, then I can plug in whatever: invisibility, extra speed and dexterity, stretching, desolidification, brick defenses, what have you.

Oh' date=' I remember that Alpha Flight character! Flashback! He's a good one to homage. Do you still have the build? I'd love to see it.[/quote']

I'll see if I can dig it up. I probably still have it, but it's almost certainly on paper: I should Heromaker-fy it :D

I actually have another character with this same power: she was made up for Mike's Silent Mœbius game, but in the end I played a cyborg cop instead. Her powers were lots of dice of Luck, Dangersense, Precognition, Find Weakness and boodles of levels, plus martial arts and police skills.

cheers, Mark

In fairness,

I recall seeing a ruling somewhere (Rules Forum or FAQ) by Steve stating that STR could only add to a HA with NND if it also had the Does Body Advantage (presumably this would also be the case with BOECV as well).

The Autofire version will also cost 30 END before adding STR.

:rolleyes:

Wouldn't the strength DCs also have to be pro-rated?

Is it a red flag that my character in the X-Men: TNG game has both FMove martial arts and precognition? :)

Of course, the GM said my character might be underpowered. I wonder if he's still saying that now...

I wouldn't say that Rebus is over- or under-powered. He fits in pretty well with the group, from what I've seen.

My character in the X-Men: TNG game has +2 Overall Skill Levels, Usable by Others (x8), with the SFX that he barks out orders and if the team follows them, they all get +2 to whatever they're doing. It has proven to be surprisingly effective.

The three powers that caught me off-guard as a GM that really messed with the game balance were:

A character with a supernatural PRE boost (+40 PRE cost END). I can't tell you how many combats ended before they began with that one.

A character with enough regular and penalty skill levels that he could make placed shots to the head routinely, meaning he could take out almost any opponent with one shot despite the fact the active points in his attack were fairly low compared to the other players. It was supposed to be a Critical Hit kind of power, and boy was it ever.

4d6 Killing Attack. Always a problem.

I wouldn't say that Rebus is over- or under-powered. He fits in pretty well with the group, from what I've seen.

My character in the X-Men: TNG game has +2 Overall Skill Levels, Usable by Others (x8), with the SFX that he barks out orders and if the team follows them, they all get +2 to whatever they're doing. It has proven to be surprisingly effective.

I love the Captain America power. :thumbup:

I had a character that had this plus a couple of other booster powers (such as Find weakness UBO) that never made it off the drawing board.

The theory was a psychic with the ability to link minds and grant "supreme consciousness" with others.

Not very useful on her own, but an absolute brute on a team.

So, does this work on the battlefield, at the machine shop AND in the operating room???

So, does this work on the battlefield, at the machine shop AND in the operating room???

What about in the bedroom?

:nonp:

"I said, compliment her EYES, soldier!" gets you a +2 to Seduction?

I remember a buddy of mine who had a character with and RKA (or HKA) with several increased stun multipliers that seem pretty effective. Although that may have had something to do with his "lucky" stun die.

My character wreaked serious havok with an amazing 'find weakenss' talent and a good speed. He couldn't punch through concrete but if you didn't have some serious 'lack of weakness' it sure felt like it.

And yet a third player, who shall forever be known as "annoy the GM man", loved desolidification, on every character they ever made. It was just the ultimate catch-all utility/defense power. Dodge, whats that, abort to desolid.

Is that what that movie is about? Intriguing.

This particular kind of precog works well with lucksters and hyper-intelligent characters, imo.

Actually, they wasted that set up on a potboiler plot about nuclear terrorism. As I said, the movie was not that well done, but the character and his abiities were indeed fascinating. He would be a great He would be a great build if you could get it right.

it's munchkin like but it was not intended

My archer had a 2d6 AP (+1/2), AF-3 (+1/4), 12 RC (+1/4)

A few games later I picked up Find Weakness

I realised that it was horribly wrong when I reduced someone's rPD to 1/4 the normal and hit him three times