Urban/Modern Fantasy Questions

Stone

Re: Urban/Modern Fantasy Questions

I've got one that's been rattling around my head for a few years. It originated as an alternate setting for the Buffy RPG, but that game never got off the ground, while the setting still lurks in the back of my head.

The Time: The Present

The Setting: The University of Massachusetts at Arkham, AKA, Ole Misk.

The original plan was the Cthulhu Mythos meets the Buffy-Verse, and I still think that could work. Go dancing at The Unspeakable Oath, and hunt monsters in the streets of Old Arkham. Just avoid eating at Innsmouth Sushi. Trust me on that one.

I've got one that's been rattling around my head for a few years. It originated as an alternate setting for the Buffy RPG, but that game never got off the ground, while the setting still lurks in the back of my head.

The Time: The Present

The Setting: The University of Massachusetts at Arkham, AKA, Ole Misk.

The original plan was the Cthulhu Mythos meets the Buffy-Verse, and I still think that could work. Go dancing at The Unspeakable Oath, and hunt monsters in the streets of Old Arkham. Just avoid eating at Innsmouth Sushi. Trust me on that one.

Maybe a better name for the club would be "The Elder Sign"?

• 2 weeks later...

I ran an adaptation of Bureau 13 (modern, all over the USA) using Danger International. The major thing that I did that wasn't Hero-based was using B13 mechanics for magic and psi.

Current adaptation (simply entitled "Thirteen" and based more along the lines of Torchwood, in a sense) uses all Hero mechanics.

I am working on some campaign ideas for a Bureau 13 style campaign, but the team will be more of a mix between bureau 13 and an old tv series called "Poltergeist the Legacy"

I already have the base in mind, I want to base the team out of Bolskine Manor, Alistair Crowleys old house which sits on the shore of Loch Ness.

theres a fair bit of info and some nice photos of the place online even. with all the wierd stuff said to go on there in years past, included supposed hauntings etc, not sure a little more wierdness would even be noticed.

I ran one using Call of Cthulhu probably 10 years ago. The game actually lasted more than 6 months, as I wasn't blasting sanity, etc. I purposely made it more Urban Fantasy than CoC. It was a lot of fun, and I would love a chance to run something similar again.

• 2 weeks later...

How many folks have ran a urban/modern fantasy setting? What setting (location/time - ex. London/Victorian) did you use? Did you have any problems with power abuse? How well did the game go?

I ran a Modern Day game. No power abuse, but I did have the characters write up "normals" at 100+100, then after the first game I had the Players increase their power level to 150+100. When I run it again I will just have them at super hero power levels.

I don't game with any real power gamers so I didn't have any issues with unbalanced characters. Though the pixie's acid pixie dust was VERY effective, but also quite fun.

How many folks have ran a urban/modern fantasy setting? What setting (location/time - ex. London/Victorian) did you use? Did you have any problems with power abuse? How well did the game go?

The last one I did was set in New Orleans (present day). Game lasted for several years until the gaming group went their separate ways.

Since the characters were built on a 50 point base plus disads, there wasn;t much power to abuse :P

I created, played in, and GM'd Demon Hunter: FBI campaigns back in 1999-2000

Players were either FBI Agents or "Special Talents" on retainer, taking down supernatural menaces and general weird stuff. X-Files type dealio, but without the marginalization aspect.

It was more of an action-oriented than "fantasy" campaign, but it was modern + hidden supernatural threats and there was magic, psionic, and faith based effects.

I have run Indy Arcana... that was fun, but prone to player problems. It's still all up in my head, it will get reborn as an Urban Fantasy Hero project soon enough.

The other one was Horror Hero waaay back when. It was all of Horror Hero at one time... very confusing and wacky.

In my campaign, the PCs are a Law Enforcement group working within the community of Supernaturals to keep the peace between Humans and the Supernaturals. Also to keep the Supernaturals following the laws of both the US and the State of CA :D

They are a diverse group recruited primarally from the Supernatural community with an FBI Liason Agent giving direction.

The game is set in a variation of our world where in the last decade, a large population of the Faerie Host materialized on our world. Reigniting magic to the levels it reached in antiquity. Only a few members of the Faerie Leadership have turned up, and it turns out that the few that were here were in hiding. Also other Supernaturals turned up with the Faeries, Vampires, Werewolves, Wizards(and other spell casters) also either made themselves public or appeared on earth when the faeries did.

So you have a Human population that suddenly has to deal with creatures from their nightmares and bloody faerie tales showing up as refugees. They are too numerous and too powerful to just kill. So they are being integrated as well as humanity can manage. Essentially the Supernaturals are in Ghettos and reservations.

So the group had tons of fun and if we weren't already full up on games, with both a Fantasy Hero and a Star Hero Serenity game. I would be running this game again. I really had fun running the genre.

As for the PCs we have

The "Normal" FBI Liaison Agent- no special abilities beyond his extensive training

A Hob(Think Gnome) Wizard who used to be a Valet to his mentor

A Werewolf Her pack always lived on earth (she didn't come from Faerie). She is (unknown to her) the most powerful in her pack.

A Pixie- She just kind of latched onto the group- She's a "simple" forest pixie though she has taken to helping the group like she was born to it

A Dryad- He is a new breed of dryad (yes HE). He is a straight male with the standard Dryad powers (ie he is drop dead gorgeous to... Guys). A recovering alcoholic assigned to the team to keep his insane mother more lucid.

They rescued a woman who it now turns out is the heir to the Dragon Throne. She was being held by a secret organization that the PC's don't know much about. The organization is doing experiments on various supernaturals including Zombies (which are the victims of a mutated virus). They were holding the woman that they suspected of being a shapeshifted Dragon. They were taking samples of various tissues (including blood) and seeing what they could do with said samples. The PCs rescued her. When the Organization tried to take her back, they released her Draconic nature (for the first time) and the PC's had to talk down a HUGE enraged dragon.

It was all quite fun and I look forward to more adventures in that universe again :D

Tasha