Help with naming a spider themed character.

Ragdoll

Re: Help with naming a spider themed character.

Name him Jeffery. He sounds a lot like the character of the same name from the Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy. Jeffery is an unendingly positive and upbeat helpful giant mutant spider, and Billy, who he thinks is his father, hates him because he's a big gross spider.

/threadjack

sorry, couldn't help it.

Arachne: Awesome! This has the immediate tie with a Goddess, (Athena turned a Greek weaver named Arachne into the first spider for being better at weaving than she was. So not only is it a Goddess, it's a goddess of war and tactics and heroes and stuff.) And it has the immediate name recognition of Arachne=Spider/Arachnid. And that also lets you have a minor bad guy or two who are other kinds of arachnids, like The Crab, who has a tank like suit of power armour shaped like a crab. Or Lobster-Man, a centaur-like brick with four legs, two normal arms and two arms that end in huge claws. Plus he's got armour-plated skin. And it'll help conceal your secret ID. The name Arachne is from Greek myth, not Native American!

marvel used this name to differentiate julia carpenter from jessica drew since both used the codname spider-woman

no, mygalomorph spiders don't spin webs, but if you've going for 'archetypal mystic ****' feel free to do what you like :D

re: another mygalomorph - the Cobalt-Blue Bird-Eater - that one *isn't* recommended as a pet, due to "unpredictable fits of psychotic aggression"

Is it a spider or an internet message board poster?:D

Arachne: Awesome! This has the immediate tie with a Goddess' date=' (Athena turned a Greek weaver named Arachne into the first spider for being better at weaving than she was. So not only is it a Goddess, it's a goddess of war and tactics and heroes and stuff.) [/quote']

isn't the legend that she failed to get anywhere near Athena and not a goddess hersself (poor arachinae!)was being punished for hubris by Athena and turned into a yicky spider?

marvel used this name to differentiate julia carpenter from jessica drew since both used the codname spider-woman

Dang! Scooped.

isn't the legend that she failed to get anywhere near Athena and not a goddess hersself (poor arachinae!)was being punished for hubris by Athena and turned into a yicky spider?

Yeah, my bad. This is right!

The legend I heard was that she equaled or bested Athena at weaving, and was punished for success.

"Hubris" was bad enough if unjustified, but if you could actually back it up, that was considered worse....

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary wonders how stories like these could breed anything but fearful contempt of the Gods....

This one is tough. When my son did play he came up with a villian called the saintly spider! Which we renamed the Sinister Spider. The only other thing I can think of is S.O.S. the Son of Shelob! ;) But really,I myself either think of Arachnid or Tarantula. Good luck!

Well, I play a character on a Mush called Silver Spider, but really, any Color + Spider should be fine except for Black, which is a Batman Villain, and Scarlet, which is the Spider Clone.

Arachnos is not taken. It's just taken in my game world.

Well, I play a character on a Mush called Silver Spider, but really, any Color + Spider should be fine except for Black, which is a Batman Villain, and Scarlet, which is the Spider Clone.

Arachnos is not taken. It's just taken in my game world.

Well, Arachnos is technically taken, it's the main villainous organization in City of Heroes, but as long as your not publishing this, I don't think it'd be a problem.

I thought this was a startlingly attractive pic...it's a Cobalt Blue Bird-Eating Tarantula' date=' and it doesn't look real at all, more like something out of fantasy. It might be an ideal model for your magical Ur-spider character.[/quote']

Hey, that's pretty snazzy looking for something that normally makes my skin crawl. XD

Plus, I like the color blue. :D

Well' date=' Arachnos is technically taken, it's the main villainous organization in City of Heroes, but as long as your not publishing this, I don't think it'd be a problem.[/quote']

If it is an individual character and not an organization, it shouldn't be a problem even if I am publishing it.

I thought this was a startlingly attractive pic...it's a Cobalt Blue Bird-Eating Tarantula' date=' and it doesn't look real at all, more like something out of fantasy. It might be an ideal model for your magical Ur-spider character.[/quote']

*nods* that's the one prone to unpredictable fits of psychotic aggression