Cuts through anything

quozaxx

Re: Cuts through anything

Wolverine's claws and Black Knight's sword. Just two of the comic book items that can "cut through anything".

How would you build that? Even a 4d6K AP, Piercing wouldn't cut through anything.

No Normal Defense, Does BOD.

Defense is Force Fields.

Lucius Alexander

Defense is a palindromedary

re: Heroic

I'd recommend the NND & Does Body route.

re: superheroic

After working up stats for both Captain America's shield, Wolverine's claws and a Lightsaber I think an equivalent expenditure of points on some combination of Penetrating & Armor Piercing (like x3 Pen and x1 AP) accomplishes about the same thing and takes the special effect argument that is inherent to NND off the table.

HM

I don't know I'm sticking with the AVLD since NNDs are all or nothing:

Hattori Hanzo: I am finished doing what I swore an oath to God twenty eight years ago to never do again. I've created, "something that kills people." And in that purpose, I was a success. I've done this because, philosophically, I am sympathetic to your aim. I can tell you with no ego, this is my finest sword. If on your journey, you should encounter God, God will be cut.

Illegal' date=' plus again, there are things that those weapons can't cut through (magical fields, for example).[/quote']

I don't know that it's illegal, but good luck getting it into a game unless the person running it is either inexperienced or, shall we say, less than alert. Or possibly well bribed.

And of course, you have a point in that such things always seem to have some kind of exception...

"I thought you said this sword could cut through Anything!"

"I did. This isn't just Anything, this stuff is Something Else."

Lucius Alexander

No Normal Palindromedary

I don't know that it's illegal, but good luck getting it into a game unless the person running it is either inexperienced or, shall we say, less than alert. Or possibly well bribed.

And of course, you have a point in that such things always seem to have some kind of exception...

"I thought you said this sword could cut through Anything!"

"I did. This isn't just Anything, this stuff is Something Else."

Lucius Alexander

No Normal Palindromedary

Indeed. I still think that a straight HKA, perhaps with Penetrating or AP covers it; despite what Claremont seems to think, material strength is not the sole determinant of what can cut through what. Hand the Ebony Blade to, say, a 90 year old, and they won't be cutting through cold butter with the thing.

Well, the strength used argument does come into play with NND/Does body, as the hka will only get +1 KDC per 15 strength used anyways, so even if you give Wolvie 30 strength, that's +1/2d6 to KA, so it might do some damage but not necessarily enough to destroy/seriously injure the target, depending on how "robust" the hka was to begin with.

Illegal' date=' plus again, there are things that those weapons can't cut through (magical fields, for example).[/quote']

Could you let me know the rule that makes this illegal?

The OP was not asking about making things that can cut through almost anything. The OP was asking about making things that can cut through anything. That's what I was trying to help with.

Whether or not a GM would allow such an attack is another question entirely.

Wolverine's claws and Black Knight's sword. Just two of the comic book items that can "cut through anything".

How would you build that? Even a 4d6K AP, Piercing wouldn't cut through anything.

Sure, but that kind of attack is actually the best way to simulate something like the "cuts through anything" attacks - because in the comics, they don't.

Wolvie's "cut through anything" claws can't cut Juggernaut's or Sym's skin, for example. Wolvie hits Sym full on in the stomach at close range and then goes "Hell, didn't even scratch him!"

Basically they're really cutty, but there still are plenty of things they can't cut. The best way to simulate that is with a big HKA, with a reduced stun multiplier.

cheers, Mark

Characters ordinarily shouldn’t have more than one type of NND attack; this gives them too much flexibility in combat. 5th Rev pg 265

Goes on to suggest situations where ignoring it might be allowed but 'cause I want to cut through anything' didn't make the exceptions list.

The OP was not asking about making things that can cut through almost anything. The OP was asking about making things that can cut through anything. That's what I was trying to help with.

Whether or not a GM would allow such an attack is another question entirely.

Well no GM in his right mind would allow it, but an HKA with a linked HA, NND does BOD, defence: only non-resistant defences, should do it.

If they have resistant defences you splat them with the HA. If they don't have resistant defences, you cut them with the HKA. :D

Cheesy as heck, but borderline legal.

cheers, Mark

The examples given in the original post, however, are of things that are said to be able to cut through anything but really can only cut through most things which kinda brings us back to a simple HKA with AP and Penetrating and/or NND Does Body.

Characters ordinarily shouldn’t have more than one type of NND attack; this gives them too much flexibility in combat. 5th Rev pg 265.

Thanks for the page citation.:thumbup:

That's not a very strong rule, of course. It wouldn't be hard to say that Linked NND does Body attacks do not provide more flexibility in combat. Especially if both attacks take a Limitation such as: Does No Damage If Linked Power Does Damage.

All this assumes that your GM is interested in allowing a character to have claws or a sword or what-have-you that can cut through anything.

As an aside, in my fantasy games, I have a had a couple of a magic swords that will "cut iron as easily as flesh". That's not "cut through anything" but the way I created thouse was to buy 3 extra dice of HKA and whack "standard limitation" and "Only to cancel defence: -1" on it.

That basically means if you have a shortsword that "will cut iron as easily as flesh" then it's a 1d6 HKA (to which your STR adds normally) plus 3d6 HKA, which neither does Stun nor (directly) BOD, but which simply cancels out DEF - so the sword ignores up to 9 rDEF, allowing it to cut someone wearing plate armour as easily as if he was wearing a loincloth. Also the user could, given some time, hack a hole in a castle wall, cut through almost any chain, etc. However, it can never do more damage than a regular shortsword - it is after all, still just a really, really sharp sword.

This is a way of getting a really cutty weapon that doesn't dominate combat with huge stun multiples, but which is still very dangerous, even to heavily armoured foes.

cheers, Mark

As an aside, in my fantasy games, I have a had a couple of a magic swords that will "cut iron as easily as flesh". That's not "cut through anything" but the way I created thouse was to buy 3 extra dice of HKA and whack "standard limitation" and "Only to cancel defence: -1" on it.

That basically means if you have a shortsword that "will cut iron as easily as flesh" then it's a 1d6 HKA (to which your STR adds normally) plus 3d6 HKA, which neither does Stun nor (directly) BOD, but which simply cancels out DEF - so the sword ignores up to 9 rDEF, allowing it to cut someone wearing plate armour as easily as if he was wearing a loincloth. Also the user could, given some time, hack a hole in a castle wall, cut through almost any chain, etc. However, it can never do more damage than a regular shortsword - it is after all, still just a really, really sharp sword.

This is a way of getting a really cutty weapon that doesn't dominate combat with huge stun multiples, but which is still very dangerous, even to heavily armoured foes.

cheers, Mark

Interestingly, Single or Limited Author Narratives, like Fantasy novels, are where you generally find examples of stable absolutes like 'cuts through anything", once you enter the land of Open Author Narratives, like most comic books, those absolutes tend to wax and wane with the preferances and or Narrative needs of this itteration's Author.

Last I checked (I could be an Edition back), you were only allowed to have one designated Defense for all your NNDs, to avoid, well, cheese like 'NND: Defense is being in the air' and 'NND: Defense is being on the ground' or 'NND: Having a force field' and 'NND: Not having a force field'.

HERO doesn't do absolutes well. He'll have to accept 'nearly anything'.

How about somthing different than HKAs? Try transform "x" into shredded-damaged-dead "x" Armor Piercing? How many things (including heros and villians) have power defense, much less hardened power defense? You'd have to define the "damage" of course, and way to "heal" the damage. this could be a rude suprise to things with high defense, but no power defense.

If I'm violating rules by this, let me know. But gently please. I'm delicate. (Yeah, right:eg:.)

Last I checked (I could be an Edition back), you were only allowed to have one designated Defense for all your NNDs, to avoid, well, cheese like 'NND: Defense is being in the air' and 'NND: Defense is being on the ground' or 'NND: Having a force field' and 'NND: Not having a force field'.

HERO doesn't do absolutes well. He'll have to accept 'nearly anything'.

Since we're quibbling, "Not Having A Force Field" is actually an illegal NND Definition.