Need a good name for Mind Control magic

Guest Admiral C

Guest Admiral C

I'm thinking of making my next cadre of villains and NPCs having some sort of power play behind the scenes using a lot of mind control magic. I know the grimoire calls it sorcery but that sounds too generic to me.

I'd like a name that can translate into a title like sorcery becomes sorcerer.

I remember Rolemaster calling it mentalism which would be a perfect fit I, and my players, didn't already associate mentalist and mentalists with supers. Enchantment would be great if it wasn't already associated with something that is a good fit too. Mesmerist and Hypnotist sound too pulp. I briefly toyed with "Confusionist" but that just sounds silly. I even thought of just naming them after a color like Blue Adepts or something but that felt wrong too.

Suggestions?

Re: Need a good name for Mind Control magic

Domination?

A practitioner of "domination" would probably be called a "dominator" or "dominatrix," which might be, um, unfortunate. ;)

Times like this I hit up my trusty thesaurus for synonyms for "control/ controller:"

Enthrallment/ enthraller

Oversight/ overseer

Subjugation/ subjugator

Wikipedia article on Mentalism:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mentalism

Thinking about terms like White Magic and Black Magic, maybe Mind Magic? Perhaps you have a *reason* why this type of magic works. Like maybe it affects the soul, so call it Soul Magic. Or Spirit Magic, if people have spirits instead of souls.

Or just come up with a non-English term. An online translation web page translates "Enthrall Mind Spirit Magic" as Evinco Mens Phasmatis Veneficus. Pick two of those.

I'm thinking of making my next cadre of villains and NPCs having some sort of power play behind the scenes using a lot of mind control magic. I know the grimoire calls it sorcery but that sounds too generic to me.

I remember Rolemaster calling it mentalism which would be a perfect fit I, and my players, didn't already associate mentalist and mentalists with supers. Enchantment would be great if it wasn't already associated with something that is a good fit too. Mesmerist and Hypnotist sound too pulp. I briefly toyed with "Confusionist" but that just sounds silly. I even thought of just naming them after a color like Blue Adepts or something but that felt wrong too.

Suggestions?

In the Bible, 'sorcery' is sometimes translated from the Greek farmakoi, obviously leading us to pharmacy. Pharmacists?

How about working with the word Overlord? Mastery?

Guest Admiral C

Times like this I hit up my trusty thesaurus for synonyms for "control/ controller:"

Enthrallment/ enthraller

I was struggling to remember this word just the other night and kept coming up some D&Dism or coming back to Enchantment.

I'm gonna go with this. I can see someone calling themselves an Enthraller in polite mage society and a Thrallmaster in much more sinister company. The "Arcana of Enthrallment" sounds good too. Thanks LL.

Here's your solution:

Volomancer as a name for a spell-caster who by means of his own will controls the will/volition of others.

Volo being the Latin verb for willing/wishing and the Fantasy gaming convention to make every spell type a -mancy.

Lewis & Short Latin Dictionary:
in Engl. mostly rendered, to wish, want, intend, purpose, propose, be willing, consent, mean, will, and, impersonally, it is my will, purpose, intention, plan, policy

(
)

Why not just Sorcery?

There are plenty of examples in books and such not, where a character would state "What type of sorcery is this?" Those times are usually referring when said character believed he was being tricked by fowl magics...

• 2 weeks later...

Suggestions?

Most mind control spells are known as Charm spells. You could be a Charmomancer :P

Glamour? As in "to cast a glamour on someone"?

Glamours are actually Illusion. hense high Fashion is known as glamor. Because fashion is an illusion to increase attractiveness.

"Charmomancer"? Isn't that a pokemon?

Who knows? BTW in Everquest, Enchanters are the folk who have spells that both strengthen and enthrall the mind.

The real problem is that terms like Sorcery, Enchantment, Charms, Warlock etc have really lost their real meanings or that like many things from history are actually synonymous in their meanings. So just pick a term and a place/group

ie I learned Enchantment from the Waterdeep Brothers of Magic or I studied Enchantment from the Great Wizard Tobar.

Make it sound big and important. If people wonder why you can't make magic items, tell them that's another school of Enchantment. That you do magic on living minds.

Yes. One of the legacies of Gygax is the idea that magic is well-defined and compartmentalized. That there are discrete categories of magic and standardized terminology. As if magic is a modern field of engineering' date=' using the scientific method and everything.[/quote']

There ARE some words that manage to hold onto more or less specific denotations, or sometimes connotations, but once gamers get hold of a word they are likely to mangle it beyond recognition.

Take Necromancy, and Gygax. By the time Gygax came along the basic meaning of Necromancy ("Divination by means of the dead") had already suffered (partly from being confounded with "nigromancy" meaning "black (as in dark, as in evil) arts of divination" and then meaning "black magic.") But then, by whatever twisted reasoning he used, Gygax decided that all forms of healing and restoration by magic fall under "Necromancy." Compared to that, Steve Jackson lumping Demonology under Necromancy almost makes sense. It at least retains the connotations that have haunted Necromancy for centuries.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary notes that I seem to get carried away with those nested parentheses....