6Ed Character Sheet?

Is there a chance to get a look at the official 6Ed character sheet before the book comes out?

Or, has anyone started working on their own?

Based on what we know so far, of course.

Given that the formulas for Secondary (figured) Characteristics have gone away, it should make a few things simpler.

Re: 6Ed Character Sheet?

so far what is going to be on it we know

what the cost of each stat is going to be is the sticking point

the only new stats are OCV,DCV,EOCV,EDCV

once we get the stat prices then a better idea of what characters will look like

I am SO interested in this process - the character sheet is the GUI for the player to the system.

I have been playing about with designer character sheets so that there is a working sheet for designing and building the character and a playing sheet - something that draws on genre aspects to make the character sheet more evocative of the GAME that you are playing rather than the SYSTEM being used to play that game.

Doc

I wonder what percentage of Hero gamers use the published sheet. I find I rarely use the published sheet for any system once I've become familiar with the game, as there is generally stuff I want on the sheet that the template lacks, or stuff I don't need taking up space.

I use the D&D 3e sheet, to some extent because I haven't bothered to come up with my own template, but I always have supplemental pages.

In particular, a page with headings like "Gear", "Feats" or "Spells" holds no appeal for me - I can just make my own in a spreadsheet and it's formatted to the amount of each item relevant to the specific character.

Still, I suppose we need a standard character sheet in the book (if only to avoid the question on the rules forum and the whining about how 6e is no good because there's no character sheet).

Okay, I'll start this then. Here is my first cut at a play sheet for 6Ed.

Note well that it is not a character design sheet -- it does not display costs or formulas, just values. Also, it is in a PocketMod format, so that it folds up and easily fits in a pocket. The folding instructions are here. Yeah, I know. It is what I had handy to modify.

If you think you can do better (and I imagine you can), let's see it.

p.s. this is just a preview image, not print quality.

Note well that it is not a character design sheet -- it does not display costs or formulas, just values. Also, it is in a PocketMod format, so that it folds up and easily fits in a pocket. The folding instructions are here. Yeah, I know. It is what I had handy to modify.

Of note it would be OMCV and DMCV, rather than OECV and DECV.

Certainly nowhere near enough space for Powers, Skills, and other abilities.

Understand - I'm not knocking the idea ... but I have never understood a "Design Sheet" and a "Play Sheet" ... I want One Sheet - not have to create my character then copy them onto another piece of paper.

I can get costs from the book, I usually have the thing in front of me when creating a Character anyways.

When I play I write down three letters and values: S E B R (Stun, End, Body, Rec) as those first 3 and the most likely to change and the last is used Every Combat. I write 'em on a piece of scratch paper to boot.

Anyways.. cool pocket sheet StGrimblefig, I'd drive myself nuts flipping everything over so much personally, but it is really neat.

I wonder what percentage of Hero gamers use the published sheet.

I used it back in the metacreator days when there were good export templates for it. I actually miss that export format!

I use the "Publication Format" export template in HD at present. I admit to truncating power modifers, and to creating lists in the powers pane rather than using the various "perks/talents/skills" pane(it gives me more organizational control, but other than that I pretty much use the template "as exported."

That's a clever little thing, StG, the way it folds up and all. Back in the day when I was playing D&D 1E constantly and had about a zillion characters something like that would've been great!

Sometimes coming up with RPG play aids is nearly as much fun as playing the games themselves. ;)

Pretty sweet! I'd have no idea how to write an HD Export Template for any output format that could make it come out like that, but if I could, I totally would. Very clever idea... Repped!

Character sheets for me are just quick reference for what I need to have in Excel... hell, the first things I did on my old Atari computer were random number generators for AD&D character generators.

I am a fan of the 3 column that become popular in 4E in the BBB. But I think a more strict CHARACTER sheet, and then the back side being all the general combat mods and such works better. Back in Champions 2 and 3 we used sheets that were simply stats on top, powers and skills on lines in the middle... and the bottom section for disads. Everythign else was in a book, or on a game screen, or in your head.

I don't think simplifying the sheet is a bad idea. There is a lot of info on many of the current character sheets that the individual character will never use. Many combat maneuvers come to mind.

I don't think simplifying the sheet is a bad idea. There is a lot of info on many of the current character sheets that the individual character will never use. Many combat maneuvers come to mind.

I use that area several times during each game session. :o

I need my combat modifiers to stay on the front side. I even get jiggy on the current HD v.3 to keep my modifiers present.

Character sheets for me are just quick reference for what I need to have in Excel... hell, the first things I did on my old Atari computer were random number generators for AD&D character generators.

I am a fan of the 3 column that become popular in 4E in the BBB. But I think a more strict CHARACTER sheet, and then the back side being all the general combat mods and such works better. Back in Champions 2 and 3 we used sheets that were simply stats on top, powers and skills on lines in the middle... and the bottom section for disads. Everythign else was in a book, or on a game screen, or in your head.

We used to have a special sheet with ALL of the combat Maneuvers, End, stun, Body, Range Mods, Martial arts, Hit Location etc. It made things easier and saved time when we wanted to use unusual Maneuvers. We do what we can to keep us away from opening the rulebooks.

As for Character sheets we liked our Modified 3 column sheet. We had a section that was as wide as 2 of the columns for powers, and about a third of the way down we started the center column for Skills and things that didn't need a long line, The right column was for the Cbt Maneuvers, hit locations etc. Of Course the right column was also repeated on our Combat sheet :D

Part of the problem is that this is a character sheet for the system as a whole, and not for a specific game, or even a specific genre. The second page (which is just a laundry list of various abilities sorted by type anyway) could reasonably be customized for specific genres, game settings, etc.

Maybe a generic character sheet in the core rules and, layout permitting, genre-specific or setting-specific sheets in various other products. Or someone might get ambitious and post some customized sheets in the Free Stuff section.

I've got an Excel sheet ready to go, but I'm not sure I can share it (the only 6E stuff it has in it is the characteristics).

I also have a template for HD that I have been using to build characters that works well. I'm really certain I can't post that.

If Steve says so, I will post the Excel, otherwise no.

Of note it would be OMCV and DMCV' date=' rather than OECV and DECV.[/quote']Doh! Actually, I was toying with the idea of changing the acronyms anyway. How does Physical Attack/Defense Value (PAV/PDV) and Mental Attack/Defense Value (MAV/MDV) sound? What with the other changes, it seems to me that the existing acronyms are tied to a situation that no longer exists, and are inconsistent with each other.

Since the offensive and defensive values are no longer spawned from a single Combat Value, calculated from DEX, there is no need to retain the reference. Also, it seems inconsistent to me that one set explicitly calls out the type of attack/defense (OMCV/DMCV) and the other one doesn't (OCV/DCV).

Yes, it is too late to argue this one, I know. I guess I didn't realize how likely it was that the CVs were to be (multiply) decoupled while the 6Ed Characteristics thread was open.

Certainly nowhere near enough space for Powers' date=' Skills, and other abilities.[/quote']I write very small.:) Remember, the intent of this sheet is not to write in every cost and advantage/limitation value, only the relevant information. Still, you are probably correct. I suppose I could get rid of some of the reference pages and replace them with extra power/skill/etc. blocks.

Understand - I'm not knocking the idea ... but I have never understood a "Design Sheet" and a "Play Sheet" ... I want One Sheet - not have to create my character then copy them onto another piece of paper.

I can get costs from the book, I usually have the thing in front of me when creating a Character anyways.

When I play I write down three letters and values: S E B R (Stun, End, Body, Rec) as those first 3 and the most likely to change and the last is used Every Combat. I write 'em on a piece of scratch paper to boot.

Anyways.. cool pocket sheet StGrimblefig, I'd drive myself nuts flipping everything over so much personally, but it is really neat.

I tried to put the most used information on the front/back cover (the pages in the upper right quarter of the image) -- the rest is mostly for detail and/or reference. You could open the "book" and lay it flat, with those two pages showing, and have most of what you need.

There was a thread some time ago that dealt with simplifying the HERO character sheet. One reason for that was the perception that much of the information on the sheet in the book was only used for character creation, and was just "in the way" when you were actually playing the game. As well as the formulas being intimidating to the math-averse. Anyway, the original (5Ed) version of this was born out of that discussion. It was actually pretty simple to change that for 6Ed.

Pretty sweet! I'd have no idea how to write an HD Export Template for any output format that could make it come out like that' date=' but if I could, I totally would. Very clever idea... Repped![/quote']Hmm. Simon? Any ideas on how to add PocketMod formatting to an export template? Or are you too busy frantically coding to include the 6Ed changes in time for the book release?

Doh! Actually' date=' I was toying with the idea of changing the acronyms anyway. How does Physical Attack/Defense Value (PAV/PDV) and Mental Attack/Defense Value (MAV/MDV) sound? [/quote']

Well, you can certainly call them whatever you want on your sheet. I was just pointing out what Steve has stated are the actual names for them in the system. I much prefer OCV, DCV, OMCV and DMCV, so I'll be sticking with them.

What with the other changes' date=' it seems [i']to me[/i] that the existing acronyms are tied to a situation that no longer exists, and are inconsistent with each other. Since the offensive and defensive values are no longer spawned from a single Combat Value, calculated from DEX, there is no need to retain the reference. Also, it seems inconsistent to me that one set explicitly calls out the type of attack/defense (OMCV/DMCV) and the other one doesn't (OCV/DCV).

There is nothing about the term "combat value" that is inherently tied to Dex or Ego, so I don't see any reason to drop the term just because the different CVs are now separate non-figured values. And they seem perfectly consistent to me. All four are combat values. And it makes sense that the type of combat value doesn't need to be explicitly stated for the set that is in most campaigns by FAR the most commonly used. Nothing inconsistent about that.

• 5 weeks later...

I have re-done my 5th Edition Character sheet for Shred (Sixth Hero Rules Edition:)). You can fine my sheets at http://www.mikesplanet.net/hero

I have not gotten to play 6th Edition yet, so the sheet still needs some work, let me know if suggest any changes or fine errors (mike.basinger(at)gmail.com).

T-V

I have re-done my 5th Edition Character sheet for Shred (Sixth Hero Rules Edition:)). You can fine my sheets at http://www.mikesplanet.net/hero

I have not gotten to play 6th Edition yet, so the sheet still needs some work, let me know if suggest any changes or fine errors (mike.basinger(at)gmail.com).

T-V

Thanks, this should tide me over until I can afford to renew Hero Designer.