The Envelope

Marcus Impudite

One morning as your character is just getting ready for the day, there's a knock at his/her door. No one's there, but he/she glances down to see an envelope on the doorstep with his/her name on it. Inside are two items: 1) a key to a locker like those found in a bus station or airport terminal and 2) a folded piece of paper. On the paper is the address and a roughly-drawn floor plan of the nearest bus station with an X in the area where said lockers would logically be located. Written below this is the following short message in block letters:

AN IMPORTANT PACKAGE FOR YOU IN LOCKER A76.

IT'S VITAL THAT YOU RETRIEVE IT AS QUICKLY AND DISCRETELY AS POSSIBLE, LIVES DEPEND ON IT.

FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS WILL BE FORTHCOMING.

Who left your character the envelope and why is, as of yet, unknown. WWYCD?

Re: The Envelope

Just hope it wasnt the ShadowLord. ;)

Anyhow, I really dont know. Not many people visit caves in the middle of the woods. (this applies to Badger)

For Frosty Bob- He is more of an action first guy. So, he'd likely go find out what it is first instead of wondering (provided he has the slightest interest in this, or remotely believes this isnt a prank) And if it was just some kind of scavenger hunt where it is just a clue for where to go next. "The hell with this I'm going to go get me a beer"

Sylph, being the trusting sort, would immediately head to the location the note specifies. But she would make a few phone calls on the way so that the UNTIL and her usual allies are aware of where she is going and why. Should things go south, backup should not be far away.

As far as Soulbarb goes, it'd depend more on context, and specifically on the tone the campaign has taken to date. Normally she's secretive to the point where few people even know she exists, let alone where to leave a package so that she would find it personally. If someone wanted to ask for her help, leaving an unexplained package for her to find and sending her on a goose chase is not how they would be likely to go about it. She'd be highly suspicious and would take all reasonable precautions, including carefully examining the envelope for additional potential clues, making sure backup is on tap and (if at the right part of her career) scrying the area in question to see what is there before she goes anywhere near it.

Blue Streak would investigate the locker, 'cos it's easy to pique her interest like this. However, she would also tell the police what she was up to, so if she ran into trouble she could yell for help. However, if it turned into a scavenger hunt she may or may not quit, depending on whether she thinks she's chasing her tail.

What? Someone figured out Vigil's deep cover? Time to dispose of this ID and move onto the next one. No sense in giving anyone time to inform the FBI where he's at now, is there?

(The locker? Oh, yeah, I suppose I had better go check that out too. I'm sure I can come up with a disguise, it's not like I need to go as myself or anything...)

One morning as your character is just getting ready for the day, there's a knock at his/her door. No one's there, but he/she glances down to see an envelope on the doorstep with his/her name on it. Inside are two items: 1) a key to a locker like those found in a bus station or airport terminal and 2) a folded piece of paper. On the paper is the address and a roughly-drawn floor plan of the nearest bus station with an X in the area where said lockers would logically be located. Written below this is the following short message in block letters:

IT'S VITAL THAT YOU RETRIEVE IT AS QUICKLY AND DISCRETELY AS POSSIBLE, LIVES DEPEND ON IT.

Who left your character the envelope and why is, as of yet, unknown. WWYCD?

Bob Tiger (and most of my other characters): Enlist the aid of trusted allies and retrieve the object as discretely as possible.

TCWOAN: It's obviously not for me. First, there's a name on the envelope. Second, I have no thumbs. How am I supposed to read this? I guess I'll have to bring this to my humans' attention. Will tag along, of course. They always get into trouble.

All my characters would go with backup nearby. Possibly some heroes from another group as a wildcard. Olorin would go invisible, desolid, silent and ready to t-port on a trigger. (he's not paranoid, just cautious).

Futurian might send an ad-hoc robot that looks human to retrieve it. (and knowing him, it might look Rubegoldbergish - but work well.)

Scardey cat assumes it's his horror novelist friend. After all no one knows he's Scardey cat, and even if they did this is a job for a superhero. So mumbling about how he keeps getting stuck doing the fact checking for his books, Scardey would go to the locker as himself.

Zero would greatly regret that his mentalist suite doesn't include psychometry or clairsentience. Because this stinks of TRAP!!!

Vitus, who if anything is more paranoid, but less nerve-wracked, would put up every precaution he can apply, and summon up, say, a giant pseudoscorpion to open the locker whilst Vitus watches from behind a blast barrier on the other side of the station. There's a chance this is a legitimate request for help, after all

The "lives depend on it" line clinches it for all my characters. They'd all go. Most (but not all) would suspect "trap."

Those with contacts / aides outside their teams would notify them en route; all would notify their teams en route.

Those with secret IDs would take a minute to worry about who knows and how they know, but would put off troubling about it until after they had a better understanding of the situation.

Brand X - Since he has a public ID would just put on his street clothing and go retrieve the package after reconing the area. He'd also call in back up.

Red Moutain - Would shrug, put in a bright Hawaiian shirt and walk in there with out a care in the world. The first person who tries to attack him is going to get a molten hot fist to the face. Business as usual.

Zalman is a reformed necromancer who now practices other forms of magic, primarily elemental magic. He lives in a building with controlled access, and his small room is the only place he can call "home". It's one of the perks of being on parole as a super-villain. That said, should the mysterious letter arrive at some place for him, Zalman would take a moment to scry the bus station and take a good look inside the locker. Then he will report what he found to his Parole officer. If there is anything of particular interest, he would probably magically retrieve the contents of the locker. Either with a teleportation gate or sending a summoned elemental to grab it. Probably the former.