7 Sci-Fi Series Ripe for Movie Reboots

Susano

Re: 7 Sci-Fi Series Ripe for Movie Reboots

I don't think that follows. On TV there are a lot of techniques for reversing artificial aging' date=' none of which would work on natural aging. For that matter Captain Kirk was afflicted with a similar form of pseudo aging and it likewise magically went away when the biological infection causing it was neutralized.[/quote']

Well, I think that when you do this type of plot device, there should be a very simple reason why you can't just use this to live forever: you only remember what happened up until the time your "good copy" was created. So while the rest of the universe goes on, you just get more and more outta sync.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is some speculation that Terry nation wanted the tyrannical Federation of Blakes 7 to be literally built around the ruins of the trekiverse. That they used an inverted version of the Starfleet symbol seems hardly a coincidence....

I recall the first time I ever heard about Blakes 7 was in a SF lit journal (whose name escapes me.....circa 1982-ish). The article was a literary comparison between the Fed in ST:TOS and the Fed in Blakes 7. The primary argument was that each was a product of their era and that eras view on the nature of government.

That said, I second any effort to bring us a new (tho' un-"improved" please !!) version of Blakes 7.....

-Carl-

I LOVED (and still do love) UFO. A good remake would be wonderful, though it would be hard to find a good replacement for the role of Straker.

Oh, and sterility was just ONE of the problems the Aliens had. Their whole biology was screwed up - there was some speculation in one episode that their planet had undergone an ecological catastrophe.

Now, tell me they couldn't get some mileage out of THAT today!

Absolutely, I love UFO. I remember being quite shocked as a kid when I found out why the aliens where kidnapping people.

Accepting the alien craft could go faster than light, everything else seemed fairly realistic and internally consistant.

And then there was the Riker clone caused by the Transporter accident.

I tell you, between Transporters and Replicators...

I recall a Trek novel in the late 60's (the title might have been "Voyage to Horatius") where the Enterprise ran into a system with no less than three "lost colonies" ("lost" in the sense of deliberately running out to unknown places in order to set up an "ideal society" without interference). One was a neo-Nazi bunch that used transporter duplicates for cannon fodder and cheap labor. In that book, the dupes were "soul-less copies" with somewhat altered personalities. The nasty local leader Nummer Ein was himself a copy of the original leader. All of the duplicates apparently dissipated when their original transporter templates got wiped.

They made a floppy Bionic Woman that lasted a season on NBC IIRC.

6M man aint gonna happen if the more famous and popular character based remake didn't survive.

as i understood it the writers strike that season was the main part of BW's cancellation they were working on better stories when the plug was pulled

They made a floppy Bionic Woman that lasted a season on NBC IIRC.

6M man aint gonna happen if the more famous and popular character based remake didn't survive.

Are you suggesting Bionic Woman was more famous & popular that the Bionic Man?

I quite liked the Bionic Woman redux. However it took them too long to decide on a story direction (if they ever did actually decide) and so their story arc was all over the shop. Still they had some interesting characters (except the dippy FBI love interest) and I would have continued to watch if they'd continued to make it :)

While I would love to see a new Blake's 7 even if it was reimaged somewhat. I doubt that I would ever love it the same way that I love the original. Paul Darrow's performance in the role of Kerr Avon was really what made that show shine. I doubt that you would ever see another actor that could be play the character half as well as Mr Darrow did. That character alone was responsible for the series' longevity (even after losing it's name sake character).

Sometimes it's ok to let a classic stay a classic and not be redone for a future generation.

Are you suggesting Bionic Woman was more famous & popular that the Bionic Man?

I quite liked the Bionic Woman redux. However it took them too long to decide on a story direction (if they ever did actually decide) and so their story arc was all over the shop. Still they had some interesting characters (except the dippy FBI love interest) and I would have continued to watch if they'd continued to make it :)

Yeah the stories were all over the place, they eventually started to hit a groove. I liked all of the characters and was disappointed that it was canceled.

While I would love to see a new Blake's 7 even if it was reimaged somewhat. I doubt that I would ever love it the same way that I love the original. Paul Darrow's performance in the role of Kerr Avon was really what made that show shine. I doubt that you would ever see another actor that could be play the character half as well as Mr Darrow did. That character alone was responsible for the series' longevity (even after losing it's name sake character).

Sometimes it's ok to let a classic stay a classic and not be redone for a future generation.

I was actually excited a few years back when Darrow was angling to make a new series with his Kerr Avon reprise having survived and playing a sort of Napoleon trapped on St. Helena. Too bad it fell through. I agree, even though the original show’s dated, they really should leave it alone and go with a new generation.

On another note, I awoke to my four year old boy cheering and giggling up a storm early this morning. It turns out he figured how to break into my DVD collection and play them on the machine. He was watching Robotech for the first time and absolutely loves it…

This made me wonder. What about an animated remake of that old series, or even live action considering the recent transformer movies but, please, please minimize the Minmie gunk.

An explosion in a nuclear waste dump causes the moon to leave orbit and go on a galactic tour; traveling FTL between new solar systems and then slowing down for a while in them, before going off FTL again? That isn't science fiction, that's fantasy! And frankly I find Mordor, Oz, and Xanth more believable.

You have a point. Now I liked Space: 1999, especially the designs for Moonbase Alpha and the uniforms. I loved their spacecraft, the Eagles--while having them land on planets with atmosphere was a bit of a stretch, I could easily see something like that flying around the lunar surface and to Earth orbit, where they'd dock with an Earth-orbit station or a space shuttle-type vehicle. If Earth's space agencies ever got truly serious about lunar exploration and colonization, they could do a lot worse than to copy the designs for Moonbase Alpha.

But to reiterate, you have a point. And as has been pointed out in other places, a nuclear explosion powerful enough to break the moon out of Earth's orbit would just obliterate it instead. (Great Krypton!) Which is why in my remake of Space: 1999, Moonbase Alpha is not overseeing a nuclear waste dump site, but is the center for experiments in generating "extra-spatial conduits"--in other words, wormholes. The scientist in charge of the project--Dr. Victor Bergman--is on the verge of a breakthrough, but needs more time analyze all the variables; the administrator from Earth, Commissioner Simmons, wants the breakthrough now. In between them is Commander Koenig, trying to keep the peace and keep everyone safe. The experiments proceed--a conduit is generated--but something goes horribly wrong and the conduit becomes enormous enough to engulf the moon--which it does, sending it millions of light-years across the galaxy to another star system. While the Alphans clean up the mess and try to figure out how to get back, they are contacted by the dying planet Psychon--specifically by its last two inhabitants, the scientist Mentor and his daughter, the shape-shifting Maya. (As you see, I've combined elements of the first season premiere with the second season premiere.) Mentor offers his help, but what he really wants is to use the conduit technology to create a conduit directly to Psychon's sun, using the energy to power the terraformation machines that would revitalize the planet.

As for the cast, I think Zachary Quinto could work quite well as Commander Koenig. But if people insist on a husband-wife team of actors such as Martin Landau and Barbara Bain, then the couple that most immediately comes to mind--especially if you feed off gossip magazines--are Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie. Having them in the roles of Commander Koenig and Doctor Russell should guarantee a sufficiently profitable opening weekend, but if you'd rather not have the typical celebrity attention--there is another possibility, even if they're not husband and wife.

I had an idea for a Star Trek series that would have taken place after the events of the Dominion War and the Nemesis movie, and would have involved trying to forge a lasting peace with the Romulans. It would have starred Michael Dorn, sans Klingon makeup, as the commander of the main Federation Starbase for that sector, and Halle Berry as the captain of a starship uner his command--who also happens to be his wife. I think that particular piece of casting would also work for Space: 1999, with Dorn as Koenig and Berry as Russell.

As for the other roles--for Alan Carter, Australia's Man In Space, I'm leaning towards Ray Park. While he's not Australian, I believe he possesses the same sort of easygoing ruggedness and determination that Alan Carter was known for--plus, we've got someone to go to if we want to write in a huge fight scene. Or, if we insist on an Australian for the part, we could always make Alan an Alanis, and have Claudia Black step into the role. Or is there someone better for the part?

For Victor Bergman, I figure the original Commissioner Simmons--Roy Dotrice--could play the part. For the new Commissioner Simmons, we get the original Alan Carter, Nick Tate. For Mentor and Maya, I'm leaning towards Sir Anthony Hopkins and Catherine Zeta-Jones. For everyone else--I'm open to suggestion. If you've got any better ideas, let's hear them.

And if Gerry Anderson happens to be reading this--Sir, you have my gratitude for creating Space: 1999, as well as Thunderbirds and Fireball XL5. And if you like what you've read here, give me a call. I work cheap--what screenwriter doesn't? ;)

P.S. For lapsedgamer--both UFO and Space: 1999 are available on Netflix, if you didn't know that already. Here's the URLs--

http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Space_1999/60030755?dmode=SERIESDISCS&lnkctr=mdp-seriesdetails&trkid=222336

http://www.netflix.com/Movie/UFO/60030489?strackid=eb4f736ffaf957_0_srl&strkid=1769 892222_0_0&trkid=222336

Hope that helps.

There is a new Blakes 7 in the works.BBC is in the preproduction stages on it last I heard.According to the Wikipedia entry for Blakes 7 it says

"On 24 April 2008, Sky One announced that they had commissioned two 60-minute scripts for a potential series, working alongside B7 Productions, a subsidiary of B7 Media who owns the licence to the show."

Haven't heard anything newer

As for the other roles--for Alan Carter' date=' Australia's Man In Space,[/quote']

Fine. You can come here and help me clean my coffee from all over my monitor. ;)

(for you young sprats, this is a very skillful joke based on a 1970's toy called Major Matt Mason)

repped.

There is a new Blakes 7 in the works.BBC is in the preproduction stages on it last I heard.According to the Wikipedia entry for Blakes 7 it says

"On 24 April 2008, Sky One announced that they had commissioned two 60-minute scripts for a potential series, working alongside B7 Productions, a subsidiary of B7 Media who owns the licence to the show."

Haven't heard anything newer

Cool, let's hope they get B7 right.

On a side note, I finally saw an episode of Hyperdrive. Loved the silly show!

If they remake 1999, I demand twangy, funkadellic 70's guitar and that whooooooosh effect for every time someone gets to suck vacuum.

I don't know anything about UFO so I don't mind a remake or not there. Earth 2 can stay dead. Watched two episodes, wanted to shoot the colonists myself. Space 1999 should be updated before a remake. Really liked the Time Tunnel and Voyagers for different reasons. The Time Tunnel was like an American Dr Who based in a UNIT facility, and VOyagers always had problems fixing the problem of the week. I remember how Bogg was so easy to frame in one episode with his constant bungling. I have to agree with John about Buck Rogers. Go back to the source. Don't remake a remake. The 6mil man was awesome. The concept has been done across all media. I can't believe you could mess that up. then the remake of the Bionic Woman came along.

Buck Rogers reboot? Nope. What I want is an actual movie or TV adaptation of the Buck Rogers comic strip (Gil Gerard was not Buck).

Ah, Anthony Rogers crawls out of the rip-van-winkle cave to find people jumping around with intertron antigravity belts and using rocket guns on the Mongol repellor ray ships. I'd watch that.