HERO SYSTEM MARTIAL ARTS -- What Do *You* Want To See?

Steve Long

Re: HERO SYSTEM MARTIAL ARTS -- What Do *You* Want To See?

D'oh!

It just struck me (and I went back to double-check) that when I went on so much early in the thread about Krav Maga having a Counterstrike maneuver, the same demonstration I saw also showed an eye gouge (the thumbs-in-the-eyes method) and a groin slap.

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While fencing doesn't really need to be expanded: what about a transform attack under optional maneuvers that destroys clothing? Belts' date=' dresses, and the like? It could be called: Opponent Disrobed![/quote']

You've been watching The Legend of Zorro again, haven't you?

Specifically, this scene.

While fencing doesn't really need to be expanded: what about a transform attack under optional maneuvers that destroys clothing? Belts' date=' dresses, and the like? It could be called: Opponent Disrobed![/quote']

I know I gave Steve several sample powers that involve cutting up, carving, or otherwise destroying objects. This looks like an easy add in under the options.

I just watched Dragon Tiger Gate, a Hong Kong adaption of the comic Dragon Tiger Warriors. It shows that superpowers and high-end martial arts go hand-in-hand, and even gives GMs a potential superhero campaign setting and origin story (the PCs all come from the school of the Dragon Tiger Gate, where they've been taught to use their powers and skill only to help others).

Certain interesting elements of the movie include --

1) Recognizing a special technique after only a few seconds of use... or in HERO terms after making one To Hit Roll with it. Meaning PC A makes an attack, and right after NPC B makes a KS: Martial Arts Techniques roll (taking no time) and says "Hah! Your 18 Dragon Palms technique is too weak!" GMs can skill the KS Roll if they want, especially if NPC B is a major villain.

2) Getting knocked into and back through stone blocks, stairs, and walls and doing a lot more damage to the surface you're hitting than it does to you. This seems to be a "fragile world" effect, where the PD/ED and BODY of the environment is a lot less than it should be -- at least with regards to the PCs (and NPCs) attacks. One scene one of the heroes ducks several punches and kicks from the main villain, all of which put large craters into the stone wall behind the hero. Later, the two crash through a dozen rebar-reinforced concrete platforms, due partially to the villain initially throwing the hero through the floor (using a Sacrifice maneuver so he follows the hero), then the hero opens up with an autofire attack that keeps pushing the villain down.

3) Nice use of teamwork, where one character attacks a foe allowing another to come in from an unexpected direction. For example, hero A launches a series of punches while his partner slides along the ground, between hero A's legs, to kick the villain. Hero A also launches a series of attacks then stops and bends over at the waist, allow hero B to run up, leap off of his back and at their target.

4) One special technique I thought deserved special mention -- a character using twin nunchaku spins then around his body, producing an impenetrable barrier. In fact, it looks to be a Barrier, since the villain hits it, you see the barrier vanish, only to reappear as the hero keeps his nunchaku in motion (the barrier looks like a bell when it's up and active).

I just watched Dragon Tiger Gate' date='[/i'] a Hong Kong adaption of the comic Dragon Tiger Warriors. It shows that superpowers and high-end martial arts go hand-in-hand, and even gives GMs a potential superhero campaign setting and origin story (the PCs all come from the school of the Dragon Tiger Gate, where they've been taught to use their powers and skill only to help others.

Certain interesting elements of the movie include --

1) Recognizing a special technique after only a few seconds of use... or in HERO terms after making one To Hit Roll with it. Meaning PC A makes an attack, and right after NPC B makes a KS: Martial Arts Techniques roll (taking no time) and says "Hah! Your 18 Dragon Palms technique is too weak!" GMs can skill the KS Roll if they want, especially if NPC B is a major villain.

2) Getting knocked into and back through stone blocks, stairs, and walls and doing a lot more damage to the surface you're hitting than it does to you. This seems to be a "fragile world" effect, where the PD/ED and BODY of the environment is a lot less than it should be -- at least with regards to the PCs (and NPCs) attacks. One scene one of the heroes ducks several punches and kicks from the main villain, all of which put large craters into the stone wall behind the hero. Later, the two crash through a dozen rebar-reinforced concrete platforms, due partially to the villain initially throwing the hero through the floor (using a Sacrifice maneuver so he follows the hero), then the hero opens up with an autofire attack that keeps pushing the villain down.

3) Nice use of teamwork, where one character attacks a foe allowing another to come in from an unexpected direction. For example, hero A launches a series of punches while his partner slides along the ground, between hero A's legs, to kick the villain. Hero A also launches a series of attacks then stops and bends over at the waist, allow hero B to run up, leap off of his back and at their target.

4) One special technique I thought deserved special mention -- a character using twin nunchaku spins then around his body, producing an impenetrable barrier. In fact, it looks to be a Barrier, since the villain hits it, you see the barrier vanish, only to reappear as the hero keeps his nunchaku in motion (the barrier looks like a bell when it's up and active).

doesthis dvd have enlish language dialog i mightwant to rent this fron netflix

doesthis dvd have enlish language dialog i mightwant to rent this fron netflix

Yes, you can get this in English. Hmm... give me your address, I'll try and send you my English language copy after Xmas. I can even throw in an English language copy of Shinobi, too (next time, I take a closer look at the DVD specs).

Oh, and here's an apparently required power for all of you blind swordsman types: Detect Dice Roll (Hearing Group). Basically, you can 'hear' what the dice result is even if you can't see the dice in question. Used by blind swordsman (and women) to rack up huge winnings in Japanese gambling halls.

I wonder how many assuptions about opponents are built into Martial arts? Size? number of limbs? I don't think yout could use the same maneuvers againts a 1 foot spider or a 30 foot dinosaur.

That's kind of what I was getting at with the idea of a "Real Martial Arts" implied "Limitation"

Lucius Alexander

Unreal Palindromedary

I think it is all relative. The 1ft spider buys DCV to indicate that it is exceptionally hard to hit, even with martial manuevers. Maybe even some creepy PRE to make it so the squeamish won't even take a shot. The GM might rule you can't make use of any manuevers that are inherently High Shot if the bug's on the floor. The ginormasaur buys DEF or Damage Negation or Damage Reduction to represent that "your puny blows mean nothing to me!" Sure I would like some delving into this but I would hate for it to be hard coded into the MA rules.

I also think you can use some of the APG rules for multiple limbs (bonus to OCV) and buy DCV with the Limitation of "Only Versus HTH" to represent how hard it is to get a clean shot in.

Trying to create my science fiction setting has me thinking that martial arts can sometimes be too powerful -- an Offensive Strike in 5E can give a max-human STR character 8d6 of damage, or double his normal damage. Maybe it's just hard to cram everything into the lower end of the scale.

Perhaps some thought could be given to guidelines for scaling HERO martial arts into different settings. As much as I dislike different core rules for different settings, that might be a solution.

(I thought a bit about whether to post this here, but as APG p64 mentions using OMCV for Block...)

It would be interesting to see a note or two on using Martial Arts for Mental Combat, even if writing up a style might be a bit much for HSMA. Maybe in APG2...? :)

Trying to create my science fiction setting has me thinking that martial arts can sometimes be too powerful -- an Offensive Strike in 5E can give a max-human STR character 8d6 of damage, or double his normal damage. Maybe it's just hard to cram everything into the lower end of the scale.

Perhaps some thought could be given to guidelines for scaling HERO martial arts into different settings. As much as I dislike different core rules for different settings, that might be a solution.

6E2 p45 toolkitting box mentions altering the Strength Table to suit particular campaigns, and this is expanded on in the APG.

Reasoning from this, a more realistic scale for damage from STR might result from simply declaring half as many DCs added from STR (1 DC per 10 STR), or possibly declaring a DC to equal 1/2d6 instead of 1d6.

Granted, it has been argued that every object can be made more fragile or sturdy by decreasing or increasing the DEF and BODY of objects, but that requires a lot more rewriting of writeups.

There are no absolute solutions, just GM preferences. :)