HERO SYSTEM MARTIAL ARTS -- What Do *You* Want To See?

Steve Long

Re: HERO SYSTEM MARTIAL ARTS -- What Do *You* Want To See?

Some chat on another thread about 'Block' and how it works. Might be nice to have a few additional defensive moves other than Block and Dodge.

3 suggestions:

1. a defensive move that allows you to substitute one hit location for another - possibly as a last minute thing like 'Roll With Punch' - which would then mean if someone was about to smack you in the head, you could get your arm in the way and get hit there instead.

This seems to happen a lot in various forms of fiction, including pulp and martial arts and would be a good addition.

3. Counterstrike rules: hold an action and strike an incoming attack - this would allow you to damage the opponent and block their attack - appreciate that can probably be done with Multiple Attack but it might make a useful MA base - and the previous injunction against combining attack and defensive maneouvres probably matters less now we have Multiple Attack in 6e.

You could do this with a Triggered attack, the Trigger being a Block.

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could do this with a Triggered attack' date=' the Trigger being a Block.[/quote']

I've done this with a lot of characters - you can even have the trigger be a Dodge or a move (or even a flying dodge) if you want, allowing for the common cinematic ""As you attack him, he darts past you, slicing you with his sword on the way"

This is best built as a power though - I don't see any legal way to tack trigger onto a martial maneuver, nor, frankly, do I want to see one, given the costing issues.

cheers, Mark

I can hardly wait. :)

Steve seems happy with the final result. And as I said before, you get anything from Acrobatics to Anime Martial Arts powers with Active Point totals in the hundreds.

Steve seems happy with the final result. And as I said before' date=' you get anything from Acrobatics to Anime Martial Arts powers with Active Point totals in the hundreds.[/quote']

I have a feeling that it's going to be a little strange for me to see HSMA as compared to UMA and Ninja HERO, both of which being earlier 5e books that ultimately differed from later 5e books in design.

But otherwise I have full confidence that this will be a cornerstone of my 6e library just as UMA was for 5e.

I have a feeling that it's going to be a little strange for me to see HSMA as compared to UMA and Ninja HERO, both of which being earlier 5e books that ultimately differed from later 5e books in design.

But otherwise I have full confidence that this will be a cornerstone of my 6e library just as UMA was for 5e.

Steve and I agree that NH would have been a lot better if it had come out after (say) Dark Champions or Pulp Hero as it would have benefited with the layout format those books used. But you need to start somewhere....

Steve and I agree that NH would have been a lot better if it had come out after (say) Dark Champions or Pulp Hero as it would have benefited with the layout format those books used. But you need to start somewhere....

I agree with that sentiment. Both parts.

But that's what I like about 6e: a fresh start to do things the way they are done now, if that sentence made any sense.

But we should be getting back on topic.

Ahem-hem.

Um...

How about...

Uh...

Cyberpunk Martial Arts of the Matrix variety - uploading I mean.

I agree with that sentiment. Both parts.

But that's what I like about 6e: a fresh start to do things the way they are done now, if that sentence made any sense.

But we should be getting back on topic.

Ahem-hem.

Um...

How about...

Uh...

Cyberpunk Martial Arts of the Matrix variety - uploading I mean.

Personally, I think that's something you'd cover in a CyberHero book. USMA would be about the martial arts itself, while a CH book would cover being able to instantly download skills. For what it's worth, Kazei 5 from BlackWyrm covers loading skills via neural plug-ins.

Here's a late request.... but I need to ask it.

A way way better system for adding Advantages to Martial Maneuvers needs to be created. The current one is even more convoluted than 5E Damage Adding Rules to the point of being nearly useless.

I've struggled with adding Advantages to martial maneuvers myself, so any improvements in the system for doing so would be greatly appreciated. I would like to see an option available for figuring the cost of an Advantaged martial art maneuver that works similar to how you figure the cost of a regular martial arts maneuver.

If a Martial Strike is only four points but adds in +2 to DCV and +2 to damage classes, then it would be nice for an Advantage that only works through that maneuver to add just a few points more to the cost. The 5E rules treats the Martial Strike as a 20 Active point power, which means a simple +1/4 Advantage more than doubles the cost of the original maneuver.

I'm hoping that the section of martial arts powers includes how 6E is going to treat Advantages applied to martial arts maneuvers.

I've done this with a lot of characters - you can even have the trigger be a Dodge or a move (or even a flying dodge) if you want, allowing for the common cinematic ""As you attack him, he darts past you, slicing you with his sword on the way"

This is best built as a power though - I don't see any legal way to tack trigger onto a martial maneuver, nor, frankly, do I want to see one, given the costing issues.

cheers, Mark

It is an option in UMA 5th under Power Advantages to martial manuevers. :)

When I read this, I flashed on the kung fu cow fight scene from "Kung Pao: Enter the Fist."

Cow Fu, anyone? :)

2. a 'block' type move that' date=' instead of stopping all damage, increases your defence against that attack, perhaps doubling your pd, for example, if it is a physical attack (or halving damage) - it would differ from Roll With Punch because it has to be done BEFORE the roll to hit but then the affect applies before defences (obviously if you are doubling them).[/quote']

Very cool idea. In a WMA or Supers campaign, you might kajigger this defense to affect energy attacks, as well.

I agree with everything except the PRE bonuses.

However I did just think of what could be a new Talent: Impressive Display.

It could work a bit like Reputation and Striking Appearance already do, but it gives a +1 to Interaction Skills/+1d6 PRE Attack bonus based on particular actions.

I think that it would be cool for simulating Katas and the like.

I had a martial arts villain named Kata

He had a 12 speed but had to declare his actions on 4 speed phases

For example on Phase 12, He might decide to dodge on phase 12 throw on phase 1 and Fast strike on phase 2 (Boot to the Head).

if these action were interrupted, he would loose the previously declared action phases and would have to wait until phase 3 to act again.

On phase 3, he might decide to Block then grab then pile drive (Head to the Boot)

I think that a calculation chart would go a long way towards simplifying Martial Maneuvers even though I never had a problem with them.

I think that the reason for a minimum Martial Arts cost of 10 CP should be laid out because it defies the generally open-ended style of the system.

Come to think of it, removing the minimum costs for Martial Maneuvers (3) and Martial Arts (10) sounds like a Toolkitting box.

OK, first specific question:

Do you think there are any real-world martial arts styles that are missing from UMA that I should include in HSMA? Or are there any styles that need revision or expansion?

I don't know if this has been said (LOTS of posts on this one) but I would definitely like to see the commando training revised, Especially sine the revision of the Army's Combatives (which does include grappling and is using Brazilian Jujitsu as its base now) and the Marine corps Martial Arts Program or McMAP( which uses MMA as a base). there is a Korean military form that does escape me as well. Also SAMBO definitely needs an entry. its been around since World War 2 IIRC. And if you are considering putting MMA in I would also nominate Brazilian Jujitsu as well because it can be said that it was the building block for the world of MMA as we know it. just my 2 dice:thumbup:

I third BJJ and agree that it would be just fine as a substyle.

In fact, covering MMA could be as simple as mentioning it in various martial arts that are typically incorporated.

Lemme think that typically includes Boxing, BJJ, Muay Thai, and Wrestling as the most common, but I feel like I forgot maybe one or two.

There are some that anomylously pop up like Karate (Lyoto Machida) and Sambo (Fedor Emilianenko) but I haven't seen them as typical. On the other hand, that also says not to count out other martial arts which is good for more cinematic campaigns.

I would also like to add in another mention of a substyle for knifefighting: the Apache Knife Fighting and Battle Tactics, or AKFBT. I learned about this in my last year in the military from a friend of mine. I asked for it to be mentioned as a substyle because their is very little on the literature and they teach it by seminars.

also for a substyle in Muay thai: Yaw Yan. translated as the "Dance of Death". I would give it some intro but you know what they say about pictures and how many words they are worth.........

more dice to the pool:thumbup:

Can I chime in and say that I would like a sampling of evocatively described martial arts rather than a long list of manuevers with interesting italicised descriptors but no idea how the manuever functions or what it means? I would like Style to Analyze, please. I would like to be able to transcend the dice and character sheets and deduce that the villian described as moving to pulsing music only he can hear with his hands staying peculiarly close together is a capoierista and prone isn't such a disadvantage. I would like to be able to guess that a VIPER agent using the horn-nosed strike is likely from Eastern Europe or spent a great deal of time there while the one using a bushmaster blow is from someplace else, even if the mechanics behind the damage are identical.